Livebox connectivity

We arrived in France for what we hope will be a 12 month stay at the beginning of July to find that Orange and/or FT had decided to disconnect our telephone and ADSL service. We have never got to the bottom of why, but rather than go completely loopy looking for a rational explanation, we decided to take a new and admittedly more relevant contract.

Our new livebox is now connected up and my office PC works a treat on Wi-fi, but we have recurring problems with our 2 laptops, which keep losing connection, despite being located and authorised by the livebox. I have moved both the livebox and laptops around and even sited the laptop and levebox right next to each other. Even so, the laptops often choose to ignore the presence of the livebox.

The laptops work perfectly if connected by cable to the livebox and sometimes will hold the Wi-fi signal better once they have been connected that way for a while.

The problem seems to be at start up. Looking at the network connections tab, there appears to be an Orange dial up connection appearing as default. I have deleted this, and selected Winodws to configure the network, but the wretched dial up icon reappears when the machine is next booted up.

I am not a techie by any means and don't know whether any of this is relevant, but if anyone has any ideas please, I would be most grateful to receive them.

Many thanks.....Stephen

[quote user="frexpt"]

I am not a techie by any means and don't know whether any of this is relevant, but if anyone has any ideas please, I would be most grateful to receive them.

Many thanks.....Stephen[/quote]

The site quoted by Danny in another thread is very helpful as regards the new mini Livebox, I hope he wont mind me recalling it here:

http://www.degroupnews.com/dossier/ 

scroll down to find an opinion of and then full details re manual installation and tweaking of a mini Livebox. This site is in French though, but the pictigrams make for easy comprehension if your French is not brilliant. 

Though your connection problems do sound as though they are more likely due to the way the laptops have been configured with Windows.

Have you compared their settings with those of the PC you say works well wirelessly here in France?

Did you use these laptops (wirelessly) in the UK on ADSL?

Sue

Thanks for that. Yes, the laptops and PC all worked well on wi-fi in the UK, via a Belkin router. I agree that this is probably a problem with the configuration of the laptops and I will look again at the respective settings, although comparing the PC and laptop set-ups is a little like with apples & oranges. The PC uses a plug in Olitec adapter....perhaps, I'll try that on one of the laptops and see what happens!