Pay-as-you-go French sim card

Hi - I was thinking of getting a Pay-as-you-Go sim card to put in my wife and my mobiles whilst in France so that we only pay local rates rather than going through our UK accounts. We are over a few times a year and so could use them when there.

I know in the UK I can go into Tescos and get a PAYG sim for next to nothing (in fact you can get them free if you go online and buy enough credit!)

Can I get similar there and if so where is best to go for it - I don't want a phone - just a card and buy some credit.  Thanks for any advice.

You can buy PAYG sims from all of the French mobile phone providers.  Here's an example to start you off:

http://boutique.orange.fr/ESHOP_mx_ft/?tp=php&donnee_appel=FTASN&IDCible=1&type=4&code_rubrique=5-504008

Downside is, in most cases, the sim credit is time limited (use it or lose it) and you also lose your number after six months if you don't top it up again.

Hi

We have a Leclerc sim card - it costs 1 euro 50 a month. Any credit lasts for a year and that year is extended each time you top up.

We have been really pleased with it and it has saved a lot of money. Also french tradesmen and businesses are happier to phone us back now that we have a french mobile number

[quote user="rowland"]Hi We have a Leclerc sim card - it costs 1 euro 50 a month. Any credit lasts for a year and that year is extended each time you top up. We have been really pleased with it and it has saved a lot of money. Also french tradesmen and businesses are happier to phone us back now that we have a french mobile number[/quote]

Ditto  Mine came with a phone and €60 credit for €60.  Call rate is 15c per minute either in or out of France.  Costs nothing to receive calls even from England.