Question from mobile phone numpty

I did not top up my Carrefour mobile in time and so the SIM validity ran out. I could get it unlocked but I don't like the phone anyway. I have unearthed an ancient Nokia but it has no SIM. Can I put the SIM from the Carrefour phone into the Nokia and unlock it? I know the IMEI and the Nokia model. Ta in advance

I will try to explain a bit better. The unlock code must be some sort of algorithm. It could be based on the IMEI, and the original service provider or the IMEI and the provider of the SIM physically sitting in the phone. In the later case putting the locked SIM into the old phone should? work. I suppose it depends on exactly what is locked. As I say I don't understand these things and I may be talking a lot of rot.

No expert but personally I've never heard of a SIM being locked or tied to a phone in the manner you describe. You can of course lock a SIM if you PIN protect it and then forget the number and enter it incorrectly 3 times but I don't think that is what we are talking about here. It may be that Carrefour have locked your service because of lack of use but that will have been done on the network not on your SIM or phone - I think !

FWIW if you have had any phone in France for more than 6 months then the provider has to unlock it on request and for free. Less than 6 months and they can charge a fee but must still unlock it.

[quote user="babcock"]

I will try to explain a bit better. The unlock code must be some sort of algorithm. It could be based on the IMEI, and the original service provider or the IMEI and the provider of the SIM physically sitting in the phone. In the later case putting the locked SIM into the old phone should? work. I suppose it depends on exactly what is locked. As I say I don't understand these things and I may be talking a lot of rot.

[/quote]

As far as I understand it ([8-)]), once the SIM validity has run out - thats it no more service on that number.

I had a French Orange SIM to use in our phones , but left it too late to top up (6 month point) putting in either my or my wifes unlocked Nokias made no difference - it was not going to give a service.

Unlocking the phone merely gives you the option of using another provider - for example my wifes phone is Ex T-Mobile, but she now uses it on Vodafone.

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]As far as I understand it ([8-)]), once the SIM validity has run out - that's it no more service on that number. [/quote]Which is probably another way of saying that it's not the SIM itself which has expired but the network service attached to it.

A largely irrelevant distinction though because the end result is identical - no service [;-)]

I don't want the service. I want to use the Leclerc service with the phone that I bought from Carrefour. If I just buy the SIM from Leclerc will it work or has the phone been locked. I know that this happens otherwise why would there be so many sites to help unlocking. A supplier is not going to sell you a phone at a discount if you can then use it on any network you please. I am getting the impression that no one actually understands my question. Probably me being poor at explaining (or so MOH says)

[quote user="Clair"]Can't you just borrow someone else's SIM card to check if the Carrefour phone is unlocked?

[/quote]

That would be the only way to test if the phone is unlocked - it must of course be a different network to the SIM in the phone [:)]

[quote user="babcock"]I don't want the service. I want to use the Leclerc service with the phone that I bought from Carrefour. If I just buy the SIM from Leclerc will it work or has the phone been locked. I know that this happens otherwise why would there be so many sites to help unlocking. A supplier is not going to sell you a phone at a discount if you can then use it on any network you please. I am getting the impression that no one actually understands my question. Probably me being poor at explaining (or so MOH says)[/quote]You are confusing me now, where did Leclerc enter the equation ?

So lets try again, you want to buy a new SIM from Leclerc and put it into your Carrefour phone - correct ?

To find out if the Carrefour phone is locked then putting another known working SIM in it will prove it. Which model of phone is it BTW ?

If it is locked then as I've told you if you've had it longer than 6 months then Carrefour MUST unlock it for you for free. Unfortunately there are probably any number of obstructive tactics thay could employ in doing that, like sending it away and making you wait months on end to get it back for instance, also they may be able to charge you postage, so even though it is your right you may feel that it's just not worth the aggro and decide to get another phone from somewhere else.

A Pay As You Go handset is almost always “locked” to the network it was sold on. This means that it will only work with that network’s SIM cards. SIM cards are not “locked” as such, it’s the phone that’s “locked”.

Your Carrefour mobile and the Nokia you mention, if it was a Pay As You Go phone, will be “locked” to the network they were originally on. To confirm this, as AnOther says, all you need to do is try a SIM card from a different network in the phones – maybe try a friend’s? It wont damage the SIM if it doesn’t work.

If that SIM works – then you can go ahead and use a LeClerc SIM in that phone. If when you put the different SIM into the phone you get a message on the screen something like “Invalid SIM” or “Enter Special Code” that means the phone is “locked” to the original network.

There are a few ways to “unlock” (I think it’s faire unbloquer in French) mobiles. As AnOther says you may be entitled to get the Carrefour one unlocked for nothing. Depending on how “ancient” the Nokia is, you may be able to unlock it yourself – check to see if it’s listed on this website which gives instructions (you need to know the IMEI number (press *#06# or it will be a 15 digit number on a label under the battery) and the network it was originally locked to). http://www.trycktill.com/eng/

Alternatively if you ask in a mobile shop they should be able to tell you where you can get it done in your area.