Yet another scam attempt!

We ar selling a 3 piece suite and it is being advertised on Angloinfo. Well we had an e-mail from someone who called himself John Willy (very unfortunate name?) and he wnated photos and the lowest price we would take. I replied with how much are you prepaired to offer, the price is on the advert. The reply was again was what was our lowest price. So I replied with our lowest offer. The reply was as below

Hello
  Thanks for your urgently mail,i am ok with your asking price and you don't need to bother or stress yourself about the shipment because i have a reliable shipper that will come to your location for the pickup to my house in UK and also my shipper will be assisting me in clearing and picking some of my goods that i bought from other buyers down to my house  i will like to have your full information for the payment So that i can forward it to my Accountant to issue you payment, kindly mail me back in Time,with your full detail,I will like if you can confirm the following details to me for the cheque to be send  to you within a limited time we have to conclude this transaction..
NOTE    confirm the Details to me

Full Name:........................
Full Address:..............
country....................
Telephone Number...........
and mobile number for easy
communication...................

Hope my statement is stated clearly.
Awaiting to hear from you asap so we could seal up the transaction ontime.
Best regards.

Now call me picky, but I think that I could detect that English is not John Willys first language? All of his e-mails arrived early in the morning between 5 'o' clock and 7. Another time zonw? And why would anyone want to buy an English G Plan suite and take it back to the U.K.?

The long and short of it was that I replied to the last e-mail saying that the suite had been sold. This STINKS and the 'cheque' would probably have been a forigne bank or money oeder scam and by the time that our bank had found out that it was a rubber job our furniture would have vanished into the rats nest that these cowsons live in!

If you ever get one of these then it would be a wise thing in my opinion to back away smartish and not touch it with a long stick.

As a general guide....

Anyone who starts an email with "good day to you sir," or similar overly polite wording is a scammer.

Anyone who points out that they are a respectable doctor or minister etc is a scammer.

Anyone who is from Ivory Coast or Nigeria, contacting you about anything financial is a scammer, especially if they are called John Smith or some other bland euro name.

Anyone who wants a three peice suite, ping pong table, 14 year old vauxhall cavalier or whatever you happen to be selling "shipped" anywhere is a scammer.

Anyone who wants to send you a cheque for more than your asking price to cover costs etc is a scammer.

Anyone offering something valuable for free is a scammer.

Anyone who immediatly asks your "best price" on an item they havent set eyes on is a scammer, or if not a scammer at least downright rude.

Anyone expressing an interest in anything you have for sale that cant be easilly posted (except if its something rare or exceptional) who lives more than a couple of hours drive away is likely to be either a scammer or a time waster.

Anyone who you dont know personally who wishes to send or receive money by Western Union is a scammer.

Infact, is becoming more and more of a chore to sort the wheat from the chaff when selling anything these days.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

This STINKS and the 'cheque' would probably have been a forigne bank or money oeder scam and by the time that our bank had found out that it was a rubber job our furniture would have vanished into the rats nest that these cowsons live in!

[/quote]

I doubt that your suite would have gone anywhere, replying to your advert was the first stage of scamming money from you, - a much more tradeable commodity than a G-Plan suite!

What ever the reasons were Chancer the scammer has now gone and I would not touch it with a very long pole!

I must admit to being amused by the level of English and if my written French was anything as bad as that then I would not put a pen to paper again, ou clavier a écran encore.

[quote user="Cat"]Shipping fee scams, 2,950,000 (and rising) reasons not to get caught out by them.[/quote]

and here is how it would have been done: found via Cats link - http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/classifiedadscams.htm

Which accounts for why when I tried to order a Shoei motorbike helmet the other day from a UK supplier, because it was a) in stock and b) much cheaper than in France, they would only accept payment by Paypal or by Bank transfer. They would only accept credit card payment if delivery was in the UK even though my Barclaycard has my French address.