SKY CARD - SAME QUESTIONS ? SORRY I AM CONFUSED !

I purchased a card from the BBC (sic!) some three years ago and paid £ 20.00 . That card which is really a sky card (the one with the little yellow house drawing) , has allowed me to view so :

BBC1, 2, ITV (espacially) , CH4 and many others.

I have mentioned  only these channels because it is really only these channels (and perhaps ch5 in addition) that I am interested in viewing.

The last time I was over at the hosue there was a message coming up on the screen ,every few minutes,  asking me to contact sky  etc etc.

I have seen links quoted in forums  which do not work  and  searches on the internet seem to be  throwing out pages, telephone numbers  and forum answers  which are obsolete!!

Because I live in UK most of the time and have no time to fuss about with the receiver/card when I am in France I do not mind paying up the £ 20.00 . Who do I call  (BBC or SKy )? What  sky website do I visit to pay online for a new card ?

Thank you all

[quote user="Danglar"]Because I live in UK most of the time and have no time to fuss about with the receiver/card when I am in France I do not mind paying up the £ 20.00 . Who do I call  (BBC or SKy )? What  sky website do I visit to pay online for a new card ? 

[/quote]

Why bother, save yourself £20 and unshackle yourself from Sky, just take out the old card, let things settle for up to 2 days* and all that will be missing from your list is Channel 5, which you can add manually. See Clair's helpful post here.

Be brave, save money! I did, it works!

Edit: * you don't have to be without channels for 2 days, just tune in as normal but channels will gradually sort themselves out over a period of approx 2 days or so.

Sue [:)]

I think that it should be stressed that you probably *didn't* purchase your card from the BBC.    The BBC have been unencrypted since mid 2003.

Your card -  if purchased three years ago - was issued by Sky on behalf of ch 4/ch5.    Originally (in the digital era) you *did* need a card to watch the BBC (and this could only be done until 2003 by the medium of Sky) but again you weren't *paying* the BBC,    the cards were issued free and the BBC (I believe) had to pay a sum to Sky for their issue.    The fee of £20 odd came in when ch 4 and ch 5 were left on their own after the BBC had the good sense to escape the shackles of Sky.

I know that I'm nit-picking a bit here - for which I apologise - but the BBC never "made any money" from this,  and it was never the intention that they should.

As others have said,   unless you want Sky 3/Fiver/Five USA I should escape while you can!!

The attached is a cut and paste from Sky Freestat FAQ's page.

Q: I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

A: All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £20. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400

I ordered one from my UK address and now have it working in my French house.  Easy no problems.

As a matter of interest I took one of my multiroom cards down with me this weekend.  Although it wouldnt pick up the premium sports channels I pay for (card not matched to box) it did pick up everything else (Sky 1 SSN etc)

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

The attached is a cut and paste from Sky Freestat FAQ's page.

Q: I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

A: All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £20. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400

I ordered one from my UK address and now have it working in my French house.  Easy no problems.

As a matter of interest I took one of my multiroom cards down with me this weekend.  Although it wouldnt pick up the premium sports channels I pay for (card not matched to box) it did pick up everything else (Sky 1 SSN etc)

[/quote]

Sky are being pretty "economical with the truth" there aren't they.   If people realised that the "freesat from Sky" card got them just three extra channels and that the majority of the major non-subscription channels were already working they'd be pretty annoyed I reckon.  

Putting that card in to the slot helps to cement the embryonic bonds that eventually "encourage" people to upgrade to a paying subscription.

But then Sky have never really - in my view - been impartial in their technical "advice".