Dumped SFR, now have same problem with new Orange livebox - Is it me?????

Well we got rid of SFR and the new Orange livebox was fitted by the technician (was not taking any chances!).  NO TELEPHONE - don't worry madame you will have telephone within the next two days...... NOPE!  This is the same problem that we had with SFR!!  Am waiting for technical support to ring me back.  Watch this space......

Suey

First off don't believe a word the sales people tell you and only 1/2 of what tech support do.

Which Orange package have you gone for, is it VoIP based, i.e. you no longer pay the FT €16/mth line rental ?

I have this and after getting the ASDL going it took them another week to get the phone working. First of all it wouldn't work at all and then I could receive calls but not make them.

The initial problem was that the Livebox (Livebox 2, the oblong box with a corner cut off) didn't have the latest firmware 6813C8 (settings/help & support/update). The telephone light wouldn't come on until the update had been implemented but as I say, that only enabled receiving.

After that it took their techs another week or so to sort out stuff at their end before I could call out.

Reading this and all the other posts about lousy service (not just in France!):

How is it that we've moved to this lamentable state of affairs where organisations can start taking the dosh BEFORE the customer is availed of all the services?   In the "old days" there were mechanisms to transmit the customer's satisfaction that all was properly installed and working BEFORE any payments were taken....

I suppose in the "old days" there were the funds to employ engineers to install and commission things   (TV's,  fridges,   etc) and now that it's all "done by the customer" this happy situation has gone. 

But it still seems to me that we have slept-walked into a state of affairs where the payment from the consumer is exacted at all costs whether the service is supplied or not.

I suppose that -  like with the politicians with which we seem to be lumbered - we've allowed it to happen by not fighting it hard enough.

Sue -  I hope you get it sorted.

[quote user="Martin963"]

How is it that we've moved to this lamentable state of affairs where organisations can start taking the dosh BEFORE the customer is availed of all the services?   In the "old days" there were mechanisms to transmit the customer's satisfaction that all was properly installed and working BEFORE any payments were taken....

[/quote]

SFR took my money and gave me NO service. They sent me three emails asking me to complete a customer satisfaction survey. Each time I tried it crashed. (probably anticipated what I was going to say)

I hate it when they send you those survey things.

I had to get a battery replaced on my mobile phone under warranty. The day after I'd sent the old battery to Palm for replacement they sent me a survey by email. I'm not going to fill that in til I find out my problem has been rectified.

It took them 6 weeks to send me a new battery out, but in that time, they sent me out no less than 21 emails asking me to complete their stupid survey.

21 batteries and one survey would have been better.

I have to say that when I got my Orange box they moved the phone over after a couple of days, a guy even phoned me to tell me they were going to do it. On the other hand I know somebody who waited three weeks for the changeover. They had a FT line before that and the calls made between when the box was plugged in and the phone becoming live were charged by FT then credited by Orange (all on the same bill, I guess because they are the same company).

Anyway good luck and I am sure it will get sorted out.

Been on the blower to Orange today re phone charges between them cutting me off from Telespit and them finally getting my VoIP working, 2 weeks and €70.

Have to say I spoke to a very charming Irish lady who took ownership of the issue, volunteered her own personal FT/Orange email address, and told me to contact her immediately the bill arrived (don't know the precise sum until then) when she would have the Dec DD stopped so I could pay the proper amount via debit card instead.

Also when I get a breakdown of Telespit's call charges incurred because FT cut my ADSL service with them prematurely, she says they will pay those too.

Hope it all goes to plan. !

[quote user="AnOther"]
Have to say I spoke to a very charming Irish lady who took ownership of the issue, volunteered her own personal FT/Orange email address, and told me to contact her immediately the bill arrived (don't know the precise sum until then) when she would have the Dec DD stopped so I could pay the proper amount via debit card instead.

Also when I get a breakdown of Telespit's call charges incurred because FT cut my ADSL service with them prematurely, she says they will pay those too.

Hope it all goes to plan. !
[/quote]

That is either an early poisson d'Avril or you are hallucinating [6]

Unbelievable, well done to you!

Well I have just got home from 2 weeks forced abstinence [:D][:D][:D]

Watch this space is all I can say [blink]

Just to drive another nail into Telespit's coffin, they accused me of not returning one of their modems, claimed they had sent me 2 only a week apart, gave me serial numbers etc. I denied it and challenged them to prove they had sent them both - they backed down. They 'value' their 5h1tty routers at €160 BTW !

[quote user="AnOther"]Just to drive another nail into Telespit's coffin, they accused me of not returning one of their modems, claimed they had sent me 2 only a week apart, gave me serial numbers etc. I denied it and challenged them to prove they had sent them both - they backed down. They 'value' their 5h1tty routers at €160 BTW !
[/quote]

What is so sad is that I am no longer shocked/outraged/surprised to read things like that and now accept it as normal.

That is why your last posting seemed so hallucinatory!

I remember on one of my first trips to France commenting to a freind that lived here "why is the food so good in the French motorway services?" (I was of course comparing it to the English ones of the day) he replied because the French would not accept anything less.

If only the French people took other things even one tenth as seriously as la bouffe we would not have this appalling abuse of customers culture.

[quote user="AnOther"]Just to drive another nail into Telespit's coffin, they accused me of not returning one of their modems, claimed they had sent me 2 only a week apart, gave me serial numbers etc. I denied it and challenged them to prove they had sent them both - they backed down. They 'value' their 5h1tty routers at €160 BTW !

[/quote]

If I didn't know better I would say this is a standard attempt to get money out of those leaving Teleconnect. Another person I know who has recently moved away from them sent his box back registered post and like you hit with a bill for the box. When he phoned them to say he had sent it and quoted the number off the registered post slip they immediately said "Oh yes we have got it". There was no hesitation, no nothing, which leads me to think its a scam of some sort.

Have you checked your bank statement? I blocked my DD at the bank, cost 16 Euros I think, lucky I did they tried to take two further payments even though they had cut the phone off. Same thing happened to the person I was talking about above with their adsl. If you have over paid try getting you money back! These people are more slippery than the underside of a snake and in my opinion not to be trusted.

The one thing that worried us as far as going totally VoIP is that WHEN we have power cuts we don't have a phone connection. So we now have the situation when someone calls in on our 04 number (FT) we can say "I'm sorry but he/she is one the other line"! Smooth or what![:-))]

OK it is costing us the normal FT line rental, but how much  is peace of mind worth? We are happy with it..

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

The one thing that worried us as far as going totally VoIP is that WHEN we have power cuts we don't have a phone connection. So we now have the situation when someone calls in on our 04 number (FT) we can say "I'm sorry but he/she is one the other line"! Smooth or what![:-))]

OK it is costing us the normal FT line rental, but how much  is peace of mind worth? We are happy with it..

[/quote]

£35 for a UPS which at the rate a livebox burns will make it last for several hours plus theres always the mobile.

Excellent idea and I have one, 1.2kva capacity. Should be ample to keep 'er indoors chatting to her nutty sister all night - and then some.

Normally it only gets used when we're away to operate a strobe light to alert our neighbours if our power goes off but since changing to Orange and ditching the FT line it now lives under the desk in the study ready for instant action.

• 2 weeks later...
Well two weeks on and still no line. Have phoned Orange and they suggest rebooting the livebox every evening! Also still waiting for the live box to arrive, due to the fact that we are using the technicians spare livebox that he had in his car, cos Orange forgot to give him the box to bring out with him!!

If you are near to an FT shop you could go into their 'service desk' and they should be able to give one to you straight away. Just hope that you haven't got a dragon behind it like wot we have.

As a matter of interest, if you haven't got a line then what difference will rebooting the livebox make? Or am I mising something here?

Hi John,

Well we have internet but only an engaged tone on the line and no light on the tel light on the box.

Having been in the same situation with SFR since the end of July, we really have not moved on at all by going over to FT.

Suey

Have you had a look at the configuration pages for your livebox. If not then type in "192.168.1.1" into the address bar on your internet browser, that will give you the intro page. Click on the line "Configuration pages access (restricted access, protected by password). in orange. You will be asked for a user name and password, they are both "admin". Then you will have the config set up for your livebox and the "phone over ADSL" should be "enabled". If not then click on "change" and let us know what it says. If it's "enabled" click on "Change" and it should give "voip service is currently : ready" followed by your "09" phone number.

Sorry if I'm teaching egg sucking here, but it hasn't been mentioned before.

The engaged tone is normal if your line has been changed over to VOIP.

Jonzjob - the only possible error in your post is that the phone number may not always start with a 09.... Ours is the same number as when we had and ordinary phone, in our case it starts 0468.

Don't forget Sue said the box was a 'spare' the engineer had in his van. There is every possibility that it is faulty although if possible I would go through what you have said first before I took it to a shop for exchange. If it needs changing I wouldn't muck around giving long explanations I would simply say the phone does not work and the setting are correct.

As a point of interest and its probably a typo but in another thread (about the help desk number not being free) Sue said she plugged the phone in to her computer? I hope that she really meant it was plugged in to the side of the Livebox because I noticed on mine that if you unplug the phone from the Livebox the green light goes off.

[quote user="sueyh"]Well two weeks on and still no line[/quote]Have you checked the firmware version in your Livebox.

As I said earlier mine was 2 revisions below current, despite being one of the new Livebox 2's and it was only after it was updated the telephone light finally came on. It's supposed to update itself but clearly didn't want to and even attempting to do it manually seemed to fail. The Orange tech declared it faulty however, just as I was waiting for him to give me an authorisation code to get a new one from the Orange shop, lo and behold, the blue light came on and it did it's updates, rebooting a couple of times in the process.

My current version is 6813C8 (Settings/Help & Support/Update). The menu structure may be a different in other Liveboxes, I don't know, but I think the update option will be there somewhere. Be patient though, it took maybe 20 minutes after failing before it went and did it's own thing.

Usefully the Livebox 2 can be configured for English [;-)]