Message on websites

Hi,

I am continually getting a message on my PC each time I try to log onto almost any page on the internet.The message comes up with the little orange 'error' icon and the message reads 'SERVER NOT FOUND' and prompts to 'try again'. this I do several times before I get on to the particular page. It also appears within a page e.g. Ebay, HSBC etc. Any ideas out there?? It's very frustrating. I run Mozilla Firefox as my browser but it also happens in Internet Explorer.[:@]

tuppence

You might try flushing the dns, do not worry what that means, but open a command box by holding down the Windows key and pressing r, then type cmd and hit return.  Type in ipconfig /flushdns and you should see the response "Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache." 

Regards

Simon

Not sure that will help. When I had the problem traces showed that requests were being blocked along the way for some reason.

This only started after the Teleconnect (spit) 'upgrade' which heralded the terminal decline in their entire 'service'.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/Copyoftraceroute.jpg[/IMG]

Hi AnOther,

Yes I am still with Teleconnect but since April when we had all the problems, most of the time things have settled down somewhat especially the phone problems. By the sound of it, you jumped ship?? Who are you with now? I thought about it but my only option was Orange and people round here are having loads of problems with them. One friend who is a regular Forum person, was without a phone line for 4 months and had to return modems more than once. So that's why I stayed put. As I have already replied to Simon about the 'dns thingy', which I do not understand, maybe I need a bit more of a SIMPLIFIED answer to the problem.

tuppence

I kissed goodbye to Teleconnect (spit) at the end of October tuppence and went to Orange. Unfortunately it didn't go quite to plan - see HERE - however since it was all sorted I have no complaints whatsoever about the performance and reliability of the actual ADSL service.

I remember there was a time when I could, and did, say the same about Telespit [:(]

[quote user="tuppence"]Hi Simon,

Gobbledegook is all I can say!!  Can you be more specific, I am not a techie but your response has left me more confused than I was before! Do I have a windows key?
tuppence
[/quote]

In case Simon doesn't come back soon, I will try to explain in more detail what he suggested.
Assuming you are running a computer with Windows...

click on 'Start' then 'Run' this will open the run box ( same as pressing the windows Key and 'R' - Windows key picture HERE )
In the box, type cmd and click OK
A new Window will open. As Simon says, type in ipconfig /flushdns and hit the return or Enter key (return key picture) and you should see the response "Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache." 

This may not work - you may receive a different response and if it does work, it may not resolve your problem as An0ther says.
Hope that helps

Danny

Thanks Danny, sadly at my age I have to be led by the head as it were. Did what you said and got the message telling me it had successfully flushed the DNS thingy, but as you indicated in your last paragraph it didn't resolve the problem.

Soooooooo I either put up with it (perhaps try phoning/e-mailing Teleconnect) or change to the dreaded Orange where so many of my friends have had problems recently.  But many thanks for your response,

tuppence

Don't know if you have read the thread I linked to but just for info.

Although FT/Orange cut me off from Teleconnect (spit) the day after I applied to them the phone line still worked and although I was being charged standard FT rates until the Orange service was up and running they promised to refund the FT charges and were good to their word.

Bonne chance

Sorry to have confused Tuppence, it does sound dns related to me, but as this is supplied by your LSP I suspect the problem may be there as AnOther implies.  If you were more technical I would suggest comparing accessing IP addresses directly with their URL equivilents, though a change of LSP seems to be the best bet in the long run.

Regards

Simon

Hi AnOther,

Just checked the link you posted earlier. I had read this on the Orange.fr website. I have no desire to have any more tv channels so would only be interested in having their broadband package + unlimited calls to the Uk and France (in other words, the same as I am getting from Teleconnect at present). As a mater of interest did you ever contact Teleconnect re: this problem and if so with what outcome? I may indeed try to go down the road to Orange but as I said earlier, several friends (UK) locally have had numerous problems, mostly with the dreaded box. Their offer of the reimbursement does say with or without TV subscription. I think this may refer to their offer of €1 for installation fee of livebox etc. Then they say it is a one off fee of €99 reimbursable via the impots and facture[8-)]. I have e-mailed Teleconnect but I'm not holding my breath for a successful outcome!

tuppence

I contacted Teleconnect (spit) on countless occasions, virtually daily towards the end, and each time the said 'we've changed this or changed that, try it again' but all to no avail. I never ever emailed them, only phoned.

I too have heard many tales of woe about Liveboxes and I wasn't all that keen on having one but I have to say that so far mine has been impeccably behaved. I think the current version is a significant improvement on the older ones, plus you can configure it in English for the first time.

The €99 reimbursable fee relates to the TV dish installation and system setup if you need it. They give you 1/2 of it back via your monthly subscription and you can claim the balance on your tax return, I put my own up.

You shouldn't need any help setting up just the Livebox but if you do €1 seems a bargain.

I have had a similar problem to "tuppence" on trying to access Internet pages using Mozilla Firefox, but don't even get as far as the Error Message. Instead I just get a little circular symbol and the message "Loading...". My ISP is Orange, so I don't think that's the problem. Mozilla has some suggestions for troubleshooting at http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/No+programs+can+load+websites?bl=n&s=loading but so far all my attempts have been unsuccessful. If anyone has further suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

Tuppences problem occurs both with FF & IE so is not likely to be down to the browser. My experience of the problem was the same.

The difficulty in pinning it down came from the fact that if you kept trying after a few goes you would usually get to the site requested. The graph I posted was but one of dozens that I kept to beat Teleconnect (spit) around the head with, but alas to no avail.

When you have the problem try closing your browser, right click the wireless network icon on your toolbar and select/click Repair. Wait until the network is re-established and open Internet Explorer and go to a mainstream site like Google.

I'm not sure that a recurrent connection problem is likely to be the fault of a mainstream ISP and may well be more local and re-occur with other providers.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Tuppence hasn't said that she's even using WiFi however, according to my own experiences of the exact same problem, it was happening on both WiFi and ethernet and if you look at my earlier trace screen shot you'll see that Google.co.uk was the subject of that particular failure.

Both myself and my OH, in the same room and at the same moment but on 2 completely different machines - one a laptop on WiFi the other a PC on ethernet - had the identical problem, so it was most definitely not a localised issue but the fault of Teleconnect (spit) or possibly further upstream with their backhaul provider.

AnOther,

I am loathe to say this but since I last posted re: this problem, it seems to have (God dare I say it) been OK. I did e-mail Tele(spit) and they replied by asking me to call them to try and solve the problem. Well I do have a life away from Teleconnect so I didn't bother, having read your previous posting on your calls to them. So we shall see how long this lasts[+o(].

tuppence