Links in Outlook Express

When I get links in emails they just wont open, it looks as if they are going to, but they hang and then it kind of 'locks up' and the only way to get rid of the partially open screen is to minimise it.....

I thought I had found a solution but it involves resetting Internet Explorer and it seems I may lose quite a lot  of stuff I use a lot, the Google tool bar for example plus other stuff, passwords etc.....

Could there be another way ?

Have you done a scan with your AV or a spyware scan recently?

I only ask because this advice is given here. - following on from the advice about resetting the web settings. You need to scroll down quite a bit to see the bit I am referring to.

Give the scans a whirl, just in case - you never know.

'Er indoors' had this problem a while back but unfortunatly I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it. What I do remember is its something to do with the security setting which are controlled by Internet Explorer. You could try 'Tools' - 'Internet Options' then select the 'Security Tab' then click on the reset button at the bottom. It won't loose any of your password's etc doing this. You can re-install IE8 (I assume thats what you have) over the top of the existing one but use the Repair option when the Install program starts, it leaves all your personal stuff where it is.

[quote user="Russethouse"]LOL - Just followed all that advice too - it didn't work [8-)][/quote]

Now I'm even more sorry- somehow I had mentally processed "links" as "attachments".

To try to atone, I've taken another look at Mr. Tb's Outlook Express settings as he doesn't have trouble with links (and I use Outlook), and I notice that under Tools/Options, on the Security tab, where it says "Select the Internet Explorer security zone to use", he has selected "Restricted site zone (more secure). 

BTW, what OS, IE version & OE version are you using?  And have you checked your antivirus program settings?

I gave up OE a long time ago and changed to Windows Mail  and IE8 as default browser.

The tandem pilot link gives for Vista In my case the Programmes par défaut is included in the Menu de démarrer but that is my own configuration. Just right click a clera space on the Start Menu and left click Properties the pop up window allows Personalisation of the Start Menu.

There are additional security protection functions in Windows Mail like Phishing protection.

Windows Vista

To restore links in email programs using Windows Vista:

• Open the Windows menu.

• Type "default programs" (not including the quotation marks) under Start Search.

• Click Default Programs under Programs.

• Now click Set your default programs.

• Highlight Internet Explorer under Programs.

• Click Set this program as default.

• Now click OK.

• Close the default programs window

If its Vista (or above) or you are running SP3 on XP its possible that its as UAC (user Account Control) problem. Another way of detecting if you have this problem is if you get messages when trying to install none MS programs (AVG for example), the message usually asks if you really want to open the program and warns you that it might be unsafe to do so. If that is the case there is a freeware program that removes this checking http://www.tweak-uac.com/home/ .

Many thanks for your suggestions, can I come back in a few days ?

The body is willing but my minds not:

We admiited my mother to hospital today and I'm exhausted ( For the record the Paramedic attended within 10 minutes and the ambulance within 10 mins of his request. She was attended to promptly and found a bed on a medical ward which was appropriate and has a room of her own. Comprehensive historys were taken, twice.  All on the NHS )

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Many thanks for your suggestions, can I come back in a few days ?

The body is willing but my minds not:

We admiited my mother to hospital today and I'm exhausted ( For the record the Paramedic attended within 10 minutes and the ambulance within 10 mins of his request. She was attended to promptly and found a bed on a medical ward which was appropriate and has a room of her own. Comprehensive historys were taken, twice.  All on the NHS )

[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your mom.  Try to get some rest.

Best of luck,

Tw