external harddrives.

hi, I am computer illiterate so please help.[8-)]

I was told it was a good idea to store info. in case of computer crashing etc. and when in uk my son recommended I buy WD WESTERN DIGITAL "MY PASSPORT ESSENTIAL"HARDRIVE.

This I was told to plug into the pc and ICOULD SAVE ,PARTICULARLY, MY PHOTOGRAPHSTHAT I HAVE TAKEN OVER THE LAST 7 YEARS.

The equipment has no instructions like a lot of stuff you buy...I suppose they expect every purchaser to be a pc expert.

Can you explain,simply,what to do step by step.

Also when you have the info downloaded can you then delete some from the harddive to make space for future storage if so desired [:)][8-)]

thanks.

Just like any other drive it gets assigned a letter, e,f,g whatever.

Click on the windows start button bottom left and go to "My Computer" that will show you all the drives on your computer and should identify the new one once plugged in to the USB port on your computer.

With me so far?

When you select what you wish to save by clicking "Save as" you can the choose the location where you want to save it too. Instead of the usual "C" drive choose the letter of your new drive (passport essential) and save it to there.

To check you have done it correctly click on the passport essential drive and see if your file is there and it opens correctly.

Anything I have missed others will surely correct shortly.

Assuming that you're running Windows I would suggest you obtain a back up programme such as Acronis True Image

This is easy to install and understand and will back up your whole system or any particular stuff you want to save (photos etc).

If you should suffer major loss of stuff, its then easy to recover it from your back up drive.

Ab, keep in mind that all hard drives can fail (and CDs can deteriorate over time), so I would advise you to back up anything that you treasure (such as your photos) to at least 2 media (external hard drive and CDs, for example, or to 2 external hard drives) before you delete the files from your computer.

Are you using Windows?  If so, I'll be happy to give you more detailed instructions for backing up your photo files (I don't know anything about Macs, but lots of folks here do).

Buy a 'Clickfree' external drive - needs no thought, just plug it in and it automatically searches for any personal data - photos, word files, emails +++ and saves them. You can restore to any computer as well, handy for changing to a new computer.

Can be used with multiple computers allowing exchange of files.

Satisfied user, no connection with co.

For valuable phots you might also consider backing them up on somebody else's system.  I for instance have a FlikrPro account which costs me about 30$ every two years - you don't have to make your pics public if you don't want to but they are stored remotely by another party and thus, to my mind, are safe as a result.  I should add that I use two hard drives and discs also as I'm a bit ott about my pics as they mean a great deal to me.

[quote user="Mikew"]Buy a 'Clickfree' external drive - needs no thought, just plug it in and it automatically searches for any personal data - photos, word files, emails +++ and saves them. You can restore to any computer as well, handy for changing to a new computer. Can be used with multiple computers allowing exchange of files. Satisfied user, no connection with co.[/quote]

Mikew, I agree with your comments, "Clickfree" is brilliant, just plug into your USB port job done. It is produced by a Canadian company and if not available in France can be bought on QVC UK, I am also just a satisfied customer.

Baz

a word of warning.....an external hard drive is no more reliable than an internal one, and therefore dont rely  too heavily upon it, and certainly not as your only sourceto store

id advise eith 2 hard drives or burning your treasures to dvd as well

kim

thanks for all the advice.

Actually the Lascaux idea intriques me .[I]as when I WAS IN PAID EMPLOYMENT ...AND NOT A GARDENER'S ASSISTANT  TO MY WIFE(UNPAID[;-)]) I was a chief chemist for several companies and although I was o.k. at formulating paints for houses to nuclear power stations I could not draw or paint artistically,although good with painting on walls by brush,spray guns etc...even resonably clean finish without runs!!

Since I arrived in France, I THOUGHT I would try painting on paper with oils ,watercolour etc.and have improved so much my wife has even allowed me to frame one or two and hang them on the wall!!!!!!!!!!!![8-|]

Mind you her eyesight is failing and when she has her cataract removed next month I suppose she will take them all down!!!!!!!!!!!!![:(]

In that case I might re-visit the caves and offer my services.[:P]

You asked about WD (Western Digital) external Hard Drives and I assume from the wording of your posting that you bought one...... (why is it that people go off at tangents on this Forum?) I have a 250 Gigabyte version. The instructions are poor - as you state, but basically in Windows Explorer you can select the files you want to copy and drag and drop them to relevant drive. To delete files you don't require, you simply select them (holding down the shift or control keys on your keyboard), then hit delete. If you are having problems I'm happy to talk you through the process but it may be best to do this by private mail.

Peter

What's a tangent????????????[:P      was that something Pythagoras dreamed up???[:D]

Or off tangent again............. what have oranges to do with computers ??as my wife asked the new bureau member the other day.

My wife  is not conversant nor does not wish to be after 70 years of writing  as all normal folks did ,before electricity and pc's were invented.

To prove this fact she asked a new lady member in her garden club to be secretary and the woman replied  " o.k. but I should warn you I am having terribe problems with orange!!!!"

My wife looked strangely at her and said "Do  oranges give you   a skin rash,as I know many plants do"

To which the lady replied "Oh no it is my service provder!!"

"I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS  AT ALL!"

THEN the lady explained it was a computer server.....................!! After they both stopped laughing hysterically my wife said  "serves you right [:$]" for using such a stupid,useless piece of equipment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!Meanwhile back with the Flintstones Wilma is patiently carvinf the agenda for the first meeting on a stone!!!