Orange internet phone calls

Hi,

Having been mega pleased with the speed in which Orange have sent my livebox and all other related documents, I do still have a problem. I have had the livebox set up quite easily  and all lights are showing and all seems to be working via their configuration set up as well. However, although I can receive calls via the livebox (very clearly be it UK or France) I can't make calls FROM the livebox. (The livebox number has an 09 prefix).

Am I to understand that I may have to wait awhile for this to function? I can make and receive calls via the FT socket but that obviously costs money. Anyone else had this problem?

tuppence (senior person, non techie etc etc)![:(]

If you go into the Livebox configuration and check that telephone calls are 'activated' (if you want more details on how to do this, just say ..) then it means that the delay is at France Telecom's end. We had to wait about 24 hours for it to activate but it can take three days. How long have you had the Livebox and your FT set-up?

If you do want to have a look at the Livebox config Ernie just type in '192.168.1.1' and you go to the Livebox config screen.

Click on the red sentence.

The user name and password are both 'admin' (lower case) and you will see a page that tells you exactly what you have got.

It will come up in French, but click on 'Configuration' then 'Languages' and you can change it to English.

Click on 'My services' then 'Phone over ADSL'. That gives you the state of your connection and your phone number too.

If you click on 'Phone over ADSL management' it basically tells you to sod off it's nothing to do with you! :-)

It gives the complete info on your Livebox under 'System Info'.

Have fun and good luck!

You are welcome [:D] When you only know the basics that is all you can give [:-))]

I've tried a couple of times to get a Mk2, but with no luck. I really want to be able to set up the Liveprint function that's been available in the U.K. for about 3 years now!

Typical of a French company not to have the features their foreign underlings have [8-)]

Edit :- Who mentioned a Mk2 box? Did I miss something here??[8-)]

The Livebox 2 is what Orange currently supply or you can buy them in the shops. Unfortunately they do not support USB connected printers, or at least I have not found a way to make it work. There is nothing in the configuration about printers.

All is not lost though as I have a Lexmark WiFi printer which I can share although the scanning facility is not available, a common failing with networked MFD's.

I don't think there is anything to be achieved by actually unplugging but a few reboots won't do any harm and now my memory has been jogged it's what Orange advised and indeed what I had to do to get it working, I don't think it will start on it's own without it.

Liveprinter is available in the U.K. on Orange Liveboxs and has been for several years now. It's 'supposed' to be comming over here too, BUT?

http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5977&PN=1

That's what I said,Orange France is the boss company, but the U.K. is far ahead and if you look at the software level it is the same as the French apart from the uk and the fr at the end?

[quote user="AnOther"]I don't think there is anything to be achieved by actually unplugging but a few reboots won't do any harm and now my memory has been jogged it's what Orange advised and indeed what I had to do to get it working, I don't think it will start on it's own without it.

[/quote]

I was told by their tech support thats its always best to reset the box after a software upgrade to flush its memory. When I asked how do I know its been upgraded the best they could answer was that you have to check the firmware version in the box a monitor it every now and again to see if it changes. I then asked if they could email people when they upgraded the firmware/software in the box, their answer was "Good idea but we don't have any immediate plans to do it". Still if it aint broke don't fix it as they say so I leave well alone.

In that sense a power down and a reset are not the same things of course [;-)]

If my own experience is anywhere near typical an involuntary power down will automatically occur on a reletively frequent basis anyhow due the EDF's inability to maintain the electricity supply without interruption for more than about a month at a time !

As for 'if it aint broke don't fix it', amen to that and if Telespit had heeded that wisdom it I'd still be with them now and a happier bunny.

The reset is done by using something like a paperclip and pressing the button beneath the little hole on the back of the orange box. It completely flushes the memory, buffers etc and the box returns to as it came from the factory. I would call this a factory reset personally but Orange call it a reset. I discovered this when asked to do it by their tech support and after pressing the big reset button (strangely enough also called reset) on the back and getting very confused with what they told me to do next it transpires that they meant the one in the little hole. You know if its the right one because you have to re-enter your Internet (not email) login and password. They told me that clicking on the factory reset in the LiveBox menu appears to do the same thing, you end up having to enter your login and password, but its not.

Hello, and thanks for all the replies to my original post. I have just done a reboot, easy enough, just go into Help & Support and you have the option to reboot, update etc. Rebooted having had to go back into original page and press 'admin' again and it was all as before with all items enabled, new phone number etc etc. Still can't phone out. All I get is bleeps in between dial tones and then the equivalent of an engaged tone at the end (and no the line wasn't engaged, I checked before I rang via FT line).  With so many options from you good people I think I shall wait another day or so (Livebox set up was activated on Friday pm) and then if still no joy I'll call the English speaking helpline for assistance. Sadly they are not available at weekends.[:(]

tuppence

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Liveprinter is available in the U.K. on Orange Liveboxs and has been for several years now. It's 'supposed' to be comming over here too, BUT?

http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5977&PN=1

That's what I said,Orange France is the boss company, but the U.K. is far ahead and if you look at the software level it is the same as the French apart from the uk and the fr at the end?
[/quote]

John,
here are the instructions from the Orange site for setting up a shared printer with the new livebox 2

http://assistance.orange.fr/partager-imprimante-usb-avec-livebox-2-47.php

From what I have read, you can't just exchange it. If your current livebox is rented, it seems the only option is to buy the new one (59 euros) and possibly give up your rented one to save the 3 euros a month if they will allow.

OR you may be able to call up and change to one of their latest offers and you may get one that way.

OR if your current one just happened to get damaged by some freak storm or maybe some stray giant magnet [Www] you would get the Livebox 2 as a replacement.

There is no guarantee that you will get your printers working though. It seems the software for the new livebox is full of bugs and there are many forum comments about printer problems.....

http://www.forum-orange.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16935

http://www.forum-orange.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22674

Danny

Just an update on my  new Orange set up with Livebox. As of today all lights on, all things working properly now. The problem re: phoning FROM the Livebox was that my phone as not compatible with it. Have tried a phone loaned from a friend and it works perfectly which was what the Orange techie told me it could be.

This may help others in a similar situation but I would like to thank all other posters for their help and suggestions.[:$]

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]Just an update on my  new Orange set up with Livebox. As of today all lights on, all things working properly now. The problem re: phoning FROM the Livebox was that my phone as not compatible with it. Have tried a phone loaned from a friend and it works perfectly which was what the Orange techie told me it could be.

This may help others in a similar situation but I would like to thank all other posters for their help and suggestions.[:$]

tuppence
[/quote]

Don't know if it helps but we have a Trio pack of Siemens Gigaset AC260 which work very well.They integrate with the Orange system so you can press one button and get to your voicemail and there are a few other things they do as well (flash when you miss a call then when you press another button it calls the number you missed for example). I've had no problem them and although cordless they have quite a good range.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I love Orange free international phone calls. Made over 150 hours of calls to America last month for the princely sum of €7 :)[/quote]

I must say that makes me feel like a Luddite crossed with an ancient savage.

It's rare for me to have more than ten minutes worth of conversation in me by phone (unless the other party of course is recounting its woes!) and I only know one person in America,  and the two times I've tried to ring them I've got their answering machine.   And they haven't bothered to try and ring back.  Cousins.......  who'd have'em.

Mind you,  I'd never ever even heard of that fashion chap who committed suicide last week.

Now what did I do with my copy of "Firelighting Techniques and Stone-Breakers Guide" monthly?

I realise - as an afterthought - that 150 hours in a month is FIVE HOURS A DAY on the phone,  and that's just to America.

I go to France for the air,  the food,  the tranquility,  the hospitality.     You appear to go there in order to ring people up!!

(I'm sorry,   this isn't trying to be rude,   I'm just fascinated that it's possible to chatter for so long!!!)