Internet to TV.

[quote user="RicandJo"]RTFP Alex, RTFP ;)

OP doesn't want to watch TV. Just to use a laptop as a video player and watch on a big screen.

http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/how-to-connect-laptop-to-tv[/quote]

Big assumption there - they don't say do they?

(I use a laptop with a 24" screen instead of having a TV)

I look at the original post and downloaded videos were specifically mentioned - not TV progs as such.  But that's by the by.

My TV (Pioneer plasma) has a computer input and I can use it as a monitor if I wish, no probs but it's a bit in yer face for everyday use!  Great for piccies and movies though. For sound I use my cordless headphones direct from the pc.

Yup your assumption is wrong.  I have a very ordinary TV and run Windoze XP.  I have an ATI graphics card and use Catalyst Control Centre to multiscreen between the PC monitor and the TV via the Scart input (ie no TV tuner involved).  I can dragon drop any window to either screen. 

Also I use something like THIS  for removable media (SD cards, USB sticks, external drives) and it is quite brilliant.  Actually the one I have is full HDMI 1080p (which is a bit of a waste on my TV) but I can't find that one advertised

EDIT: first sentence was in reply to Alex but some others jumped in the middle when I was typing[:)]

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]Richard

Is my assumption wrong then? (I haven't had a TV for a few years so a bit out of touch)

[/quote]

If you have a flat screen tv, you are likely to have a vga input on it, and you don't need windows media os to run it either. I just have xp on my desktop which is permenantly hooked to my tv and surround sound system.

But it seems the op only has a normal tv set, which I didn't read properly.

[quote user="briwy"]Or you could use one of these;

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=194354

Works a treat.
[/quote]

One thing you should know is that it needs 1GB or more of memory in the PC/Laptop according to the instructions. Have a look at the user reviews on Amazon as well.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="briwy"]Or you could use one of these;

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=194354

Works a treat.
[/quote]

One thing you should know is that it needs 1GB or more of memory in the PC/Laptop according to the instructions. Have a look at the user reviews on Amazon as well.

[/quote]

And an HDMI port on your telly, which brings us back rather neatly to the OP and they haven't returned so far to answer whether the TV has got Svideo, VGA or HDMI ports.

Some of the units can also use Svideo + composite leads, any one found one for scart, oops sorry peritel (we are in France)

Don't suppose the OP has any games consuls by chance. Many of them can be used as media extenders. You can buy an old Xbox (version 1) for ÂŁ50 or less. I use a Wii and Orb software which is quite good as it also has a browser. Orb is neat because you can stream films, music etc over the internet to a mobile phone and other devices and of course a PC in somebody else's home as well as many of the games consoles. The only negative thing is you view it through the browser so it fits the browser screen and not the full screen size of the TV.

• 2 weeks later...
Please forgive my ignorance in these matters but, can I plug into my TV via one of the USB ports. a USB key so that I can watch programmes I have recorded from the computer?

If so, how?

I have connected the PC upto the TV via the monitor cable, but it is all a bit fiddly so I am looking for an easier option.

All I want to do is watch the TV with programmes that I have on a USB key.

Thanks and again excuse the ignorance.

If I were you I would stick with what you are doing. There are solutions available but they can work out expensive just to do this one thing. One possible route you could go in the future is a DVD/HDD drive player/recorder, thats DVD player/recorder that also has an internal Hard Disk Drive. This allows you to record hours and hours of TV programs as well as watch normal DVD's. Not only can you record loads of TV programs on to the HDD and then copy them on to DVD if you want to keep them but many have a USB socket so you can download on to your PC, put it on a USB Key then plug it in to the player/recorder and play it on your TV. Alternativly if you have a DVD player many can play Read/Write DVD's and CD's (as well as write once) so you can copy it on to DVD/CD on your PC and watch it on your player.