No satellite TV reception on certain channels

I know its off topic but just to answer a few points.

A standard DVD usually has a bitrate between 9 and 10mb and includes either Dolby 5.1/7.1 and/or DTS. So the BBC dropping their bitrate makes the sound comparable to a standard DVD which is fine because they only use 5.1 for transmission. Interestingly the bitrate for Blue Ray is 34mb. Most American programs and of course films are made in 5.1 as is a lot of drama in the UK. You can use a Sky+ box to Dolby 5.1 but you need a separate decoder/amplifier and you have to use the optical output.

Unfortunately comparing like for like with TV's is a difficult thing, you only have to go in to a store and look at the quality on the TV's display. You don't know if its in factory default mode or somebody has been playing with the settings etc. One tip when buying a TV is to get hold of the remote and reset the TV to factory default before comparing. I have a standard 38" Philips tube TV which produces an excellent quality picture including 'hairs' and at the moment until it goes 'bang' I don't intend to buy another. HD screen technology is advancing all the time especially with LCD type TV's and until that stabilises and there is more FTA HD broadcast I don't see any reason to change. The other thing you have to take in to account is human eyesight and in particular your own. As a TV advert said theres no point in having HD TV if you don't have HD eyes.

For films and big sporting events which is basically rugby and sometimes some footy I use a JVC DLA-RS20 HD projector on a 3m screen. Not really so handy to watch ordinary TV which is why I am keeping the Philips.