Browser Choice

When I switched on my computer today there was a pop-up message telling me that I could now choose other browsers and that I should click on OK to find out more.  I closed the message down as was wary about going further and now there is an icon "Browser Choice" alongside my other icons.  Please could anyone else let me know if they have also had this message or if they know if it is a genuine message from Microsoft.

I have read in a french newspaper that there are some possible security issues now when using internet explorer and wondered if I might be better choosing another browser.  Again does anyone have any other information about this.  Thanks Hester.

I suspect a lot of people will be asking the same question.

Personally I never allow automatic updates but instead choose to look at what's available from time to time and download anything I decide is worthwhile, IE8 and browser choice applets definitely do not fall into that category !

After using Chrome for a while, I'm back with Opera. Just prefer its interface system, beats the others hands down imo.

Some sites don't display properly, including this one with the small message box and inability to quote properly, but I know it's the forum software that's ancient and not the browser's fault.

I use firefox for website work as it has many useful apps that make life easier, plus SEO work seems to be optimised for it.

I won't touch explorer with a barge pole unless absolutely necessary, like for streaming the odd football game.

The problem is that as different browsers become more popular so does the interest of the hackers. Chrome for instance is easy to crack because its 'open source'. As the BBC says there are problems with Firefox but they are a little slow off the starting block with their article as there has been plenty of information on hacking it for ages. Of course we all know about IE but that's because its probably the most commonly used browser in the world. The only thing you can say in its, or Microsofts, favour is that fix's are issued at an alarming rate where as with some browsers you have to wait a while before there is a fix, or patch if you prefer. Its an ongoing battle that the developers of browsers have with hackers but like all products its important that the developers have a good, well funded, R&D/developers department that has the resources to counter these threats. Microsoft has loads of money so in my opinion is more on the ball than others. The slightest weakness and they issue a patch.

By the way this website does not work very well with IE8 unless you set IE8 to Compatibility mode and then it works fine. I don't know if any other browsers can do this because to be honest I don't use them. Most websites are written to be compatible with IE as a matter of course.

Many thanks for the replies, I now know that it is a genuine message.  Will probably continue to use IE but will try and check that I am getting all the microsoft automatic updates that have been mentioned. Regards Hester.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Firefox might not be the best at the mo. Trust me to have started to use the bruddy thing!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8580716.stm

[/quote]

I have just been prompted to apply a Firefox update to deal with the problem mentioned in the BBC article quoted above.

The latest version is Firefox 3.6.2.

I have tried Opera (liked it), Chrome (didn't like being unable to zap the ads) and I use Safari on the iPod (haven't tried it on the laptop).

I have very very little use for IE.

I resisted updating my firefox from 3.1. ....  for some time (even having some conversations here on the forum about it) and eventually, last week, it said 3.6 was available, so having a few spare minutes (ha, ha) I did update - and was very surprised to have an update within days of upgrading.  I cannot say that I have noticed the vaunted increase in speed, but at least I am now on an update which is kept up-to-date.  I set my computer to check automatically, as I have always upgraded software especially when it says it is a virus updater etc etc.