Internet for holiday home owners

We have never bothered with the internet in France thinking it's best to have a break from it.

But, sometimes we have needed it and wonder what the costs would be with FT (as our phone is with FT) for short visits.

Our questions are:

Can it be 'switched' on and off like the phone ?

Some idea of the cost?

Would we need any changes to the wiring outside and inside the house?  We are not fussed to have top of the range anything -  eg WIFI - we have that in the UK (top speed, own servers etc)  but just the basics would do in France.

Apologies and thanks in advance from a serious non-techie.

Tegwini

If you have a phone line then you can always have good old-fashioned dial-up at no cost other than the phone time.

If you want ADSL then Orange has a 'sans abonnement' option that, although it can't be switched on and off like the phone, might work out better for short periods in France.

The only problem with dial up  we have found is, you are given by FT an e-mail address to use, but they then give/sell this on to third parties, so when you check your e-mails on dial up you spend ages downloading a load of rubbish for which you pay for in increased phone costs.

Steve

I looked into getting an orange dongle last year a PAYG one that you plug into the computer, it would have been ok but whilst in the shop the shop keeper asked my neighbour, who had come with me, what he was on and suggested he give me the code to his NEUf box as it had wireless, now i can go on line courtesy of my neighbour when i want when france - as long as i sit in the dinning room by the out side wall :-)

Thanks all  for the response - we will research these.

Q -  I suppose that we could use an internet cafe, even McDonalds, but is it safe?

To be honest I didn't know McDonalds offered this sevice, does anyone know anything about it?  I would hate to have to eat there to use their service. I might be able to cope with their coffee, but that will be it !

Tegwini

[quote user="tegwini"]Thanks all  for the response - we will research these.

Q -  I suppose that we could use an internet cafe, even McDonalds, but is it safe?
 To be honest I didn't know McDonalds offered this sevice, does anyone know anything about it?  I would hate to have to eat there to use their service. I might be able to cope with their coffee, but that will be it !

Tegwini
[/quote]

I think I am right in saying all McDonald's have WiFi world wide but anyway England, France and Spain definitely do because I have used them. Safe, well about as safe as using your computer at home on WiFi I would say. You can just buy a coffee etc, just look at all the commerciants (travelling sales people, I expect I spelt it wrong) in there tapping away with one cup of coffee which lasts for over an hour. If you are really lucky and can park real close you may not even have to go inside.