Adding a netbook to wireless connection

I have orange internet and want to use my netbook in another room (wireless) whilst here in France. I have tried unsuccessfully to connect.

I have filled in the long number/letter code twice (given when I joined and written under livebox)but after quite long "searching" on the screen I am then asked for WPA/WEP. I have tried all the other number/letter combinations I was given originally together with the password I gave.

Please could someone explain in idiot proof terms how and what information I am supposed to give in order to get a connection.

My daughter about a year ago with the same make of netbook successfully connected to my internet whilst staying with me.

I have successfully connected my netbook to internets in Australia and New Zealand recently but have to admit defeat here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I an connect with ethernet cable but it would be nice to be able to use in another room.

WendyG

I don't know if this will help, Wendy, but the WPA/WEP code consists of numbers 0-9 and letters A-G, if I remember correctly.

The point is that any 0 is zero and not the letter o. And any 1 is the number 1, not the 9th letter of the alphabet.

When guests connect to wi-fi in my home, the WPA key is all they need in order to connect. Try connecting while in in the same room as the Livebox to start with, to ensure that the signal is strong.

Bonne chance [:)]

Do you actually need Wifi security ?

If there is little or no possibility of anybody tapping in, isolated location for instance, turn it off - voila - end of problem [;-)]

If it's the older Livebox you are using the pairing button I presume.

I thought we wer talking about France?

Many people don't secure their network. If I scan for networks in our town square I get aboutt 14 now of which 6 are not secure. Your computer firewall should protect you from being hacked but then not many people bother with personal users its company systems they want to hack and they are normally secure.

Yeah, I can just see France employing an army of snoops to scour the land for unsecured Wifi connections - not !

Quite how you go about pinpointing an unsecured connection in a situation such as Quillan mentions anyway I'm not sure. You'd probably have to (illegally) hack into the router to try and get a phone number from it.

The point is if you live in a location where there is effectively zero possibility of Wifi theft, which I'm sure a great many of us do - myself included - why bother, especially if it's giving you grief as in the OP's case.

[quote user="Quillan"]I thought we wer talking about France?[/quote]

Indeed, but precedent in other EU states seems, to me, to be relevant since le loi HADOPI exists in France.

We don't know, yet, what the outcome might be in France if, as in the German case, an unsecured were used by a neighbour.

I agree with you, ANother, re: isolated locations but not everybody lives out in the sticks e.g. the town square dwellers in Quillan. I wonder if they use internet banking on their public networks. [:-))]

[quote user="Quillan"]

I thought we wer talking about France?

Many people don't secure their network. If I scan for networks in our town square I get aboutt 14 now of which 6 are not secure. Your computer firewall should protect you from being hacked but then not many people bother with personal users its company systems they want to hack and they are normally secure.

[/quote]

Coming soon to France too, most likely. It may be a terrible law but if the wifi is not "secure" (whatever that means - most cryptage can be broken quite easily) it is the owner who will be seen to be reponsible. There is no other way this stupid law can work as the only identifier is the IP address. The first news that unsecured network owners will have is a warning letter....

some speculation here

http://www.degroupnews.com/actualite/n4757-hadopi-telechargement-riposte_graduee-internet-piratage.html

or here

http://www.degroupnews.com/actualite/n3270-troll-gouvernement-wifi-securite-creation_et_internet.html

Those who pirate stuff from the net and use other's wifi to do so will have no comeback.

EDIT*** Sorry, this does not really help the OP get connected****EDIT

Danny

As I understand it they are only looking at P2P file sharing however if one is so inclined there are myriad other ways and means of acquiring one's fix of moody music, films, and/or software.

HADOPI is a poorly though out piece of legislation, drafted it would seem, by people who barely understood the problem beyond the hystrical whinging of the media industry who simultaneously alienated even their honest and law abiding customers with clumsy DRM systems whilst completely failing to hamper the illegal market in the slightest.

[quote user="Âme"][quote user="Quillan"]I thought we wer talking about France?[/quote]
Indeed, but precedent in other EU states seems, to me, to be relevant since le loi HADOPI exists in France.
We don't know, yet, what the outcome might be in France if, as in the German case, an unsecured were used by a neighbour.

I agree with you, ANother, re: isolated locations but not everybody lives out in the sticks e.g. the town square dwellers in Quillan. I wonder if they use internet banking on their public networks. [:-))]
[/quote]

Well people do in McDonalds for instance? People don't 'steal' your bank details by 'listening in' on your network traffic they use other methods. Even in an unsecured wireless network the chances of somebody watching what you are doing by making copies of the data packets and trying to decode them without the 'one time key' is like winning the lottery with no ticket. The https protocol, to the best of my knowledge has never, ever, been cracked much as certain government agencies would like to be able to see exactly whats going round the net. [;-)] So whatever medium you use to talk to your bank account on the Internet providing its URL starts with https and you have the little padlock at the bottom right of your screen you are quite safe.

depending on the livebox you have, after entering your WAP/WEP key at the relevant place on your netbook, you will need to "associate" the netbook to the livebox, basically this means pressing the necessary button on the livebox, on a SAGEM Mk1 Livebox this is on the underside, on a Thomson Mk1 it is a button on the rear. Good luck.

Now that your problem is sorted, I'll say my bit about Wifi...

Free have a system called 'Hotspots'

Basically other you open up a bit of access to other free subscribers, and in exchange you can get into other free subscribers Wifi if they are in the same scheme.

It is protected by a quite strong key though and the person who  connects to the Wifi is identifiable because of this log in.

This should protect against the situation mentioned earlier

http://www.free.fr/assistance/2304-freebox-hotspots-wifi-free-interet.html