Sky TV in France

[quote user="Andy81"]Hello, Some advice needed. If I buy a sky box, card and subscription in the UK and bring it to France, will it work here? Thanks, Andy.[/quote]

Yes and it's not the worst thing in the world to buy a dish etc. from Ebay or wherever and fit it yourself, it's not too difficult.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="thunderhorse"]Buy your stuff here - got to be easier.[/quote]Don't know about easier but certainly hugely more expensive. How about £349 for a box which would be free for a new UK subscriber [:-))]

http://www.ddelec.com/faq.htm

[/quote]

Only free if Sky connect the system, and they only connect in the UK. There are set ups that you can buy in the Brico sheds, but I think the best deals are buy in the UK and bring it with you. Do your set up before you leave the UK, and if they ask for your phone number tell them you only operate a mobile, simple.

According to BigDishSatellite,BBC1 goes digital in the Autumn. I would think it best, if your Tv supports it to get a Freesat HD box, which gives you BBC1, BBC HD channel and ItV digital fre of charge.MOre to come.

[quote user="Jazzer"]According to BigDishSatellite,BBC1 goes digital in the Autumn. [/quote]

???

BBC1 has been digital for years, as have all the BBC, ITV, C4, five etc channels. All are available on freesat (apart from fiver and five USA which are encrypted), with HD options for BBC and ITV1. If you want to future-proof you can buy a HD freesat receiver and use it with a normal TV. You will get the HD channels in standard definition until you upgrade the TV.

At the moment BBC HD channel broadcasts a mix of programmes, not necessarily at the same time of broadcast on BBC1 for example. If there is sport on ,programmes like Antiques Road Show will go out on Monday rather than the Sunday as on BBC1 From the autumn BBC HD channel will extend it;s broadcasting hours from 9 to 12 hours a day. With BBC1 going digital,the HD channel will broadcast programmes from BBC2,3 4 and children's channels.

So what it really means is that the BBC1 programmes will all be broadcast in HD on the current BBC1 digital satellite frequency, leaving a mix of other BBC programmes on the existing BBC HD channel?

From the horse's mouth (BBC Website) : -

<<The BBC is launching a BBC1 HD channel this autumn to complement its existing BBC HD service, which broadcasts high definition output from all the corporation's TV services.

BBC1 shows including EastEnders, Holby City, The One Show, The Apprentice, Weakest Link and QI will be moving to HD by the end of the year.

Other BBC1 shows including Songs of Praise, Casualty, Match of the Day, A Question of Sport and Blue Peter will also eventually be shot in HD.

The BBC is aiming to have the majority of BBC1's evening schedule available in HD in time for the launch this autumn, the "vast majority" of the network's output to be in HD by 2012.

BBC1 HD is to be available on Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media.

The BBC HD channel's schedule will focus on output from the corporation's other TV channels, including BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, CBBC and CBeebies.

BBC HD, which launched in December 2007, will also be extending its transmission hours from nine to 12 a day. >>

Summary: New BBC 1 HD channel launching in the autumn mirror of existing SD BBC 1. Existing HD channel continues to show a mix of BBC output, but no BBC1 progs.

[quote user="Jazzer"]According to BigDishSatellite,BBC1 goes digital in the Autumn. I would think it best, if your Tv supports it to get a Freesat HD box, which gives you BBC1, BBC HD channel and ItV digital fre of charge.MOre to come.[/quote]

This refers to HD via Freeview, i.e. by an aerial, in the UK. BBC HD has been available to satellite viewers for ages.

. Whilst BBC HD has been available to satellite viewers in the UK it has also been/is available in France via FreeSat, without subscription, or via Sky with a subscription. What we are now discussing is the fact that BBC will start transmitting more programmes, and on BBC1. The existing HD channel will continue with it's mix of BBC2,3,4 and CBeebies etc.

I think you'll probably find that there will be a second BBC1 for the HD transmissions. The exisitng BBC1 will continue in SD (standard definition).

Unless there's been some sort 'great leap forward' in technology, I've yet to hear anything about HD & SD transmissions being able to share the same frequency.

With a freesat HD receiver and Sky HD box, this change should be taken care of automatically.

Regards - Tim

Thanks for the replies. Yes thinking of having subscription and card activated in UK then bringing over here and setting up satellite dish with local guy who as over 500 eur normally here with some companies and free in uk....just wanted to be sure. My main interest are thesports channels so freebox etc. not and option!

So, hopes dashed again.

Every time I read about some new BBC service being started (in this case a HD mirror BBC1) I always hope it's going to be a dedicated sports channel (rather like a Radio5 Live with pictures), where all these ghastly, schedule-disrupting, drawn-out competitions can be coralled.

I'm all for the sportophiles amongst up getting their fix, but I'd rather prefer it not to be at the expense of the regular programmes sacrificed to the great god sport, to the dispair of sportophobes like me (and Martin too, I seem to recall).

And as for HD... I've done my latest 6 monthly trawl round the TV departments sur les grandes surfaces and all that I can report is that the higher the definition, and the larger the screen size, the more apparent it is (to my eyes) that none of the manufacturers is yet capable of making a receiver with the smoothness and fluidity of motion that a £600 CRT can attain without breaking a sweat. The judderyness of a pan (at any speed) on a 46" or plus screen leaves me feeling queazy.

I have high hopes for a Panasonic 600hz Plasma model recently released, but - naturally - the nearest place to see one in the flesh is about 500 miles away.

Not sure I'm quite that desperate until my current TV goes pop !

p

[quote user="thunderhorse"]The box/dish have no idea where they are. And your viewing card will simply dictate what local news you get by default (based on UK address used.)

Buy your stuff here - got to be easier.

[/quote]

Buy your gear online.

I needed this item today and after a bit of research I could only source

it at,   "EXPERT" in Vire,Normandy,France

cost 70

euros.............

..............ouch

If I was in

Germany it would have cost 9.90

euros!...(https://www.smartcard24.com/warenkorb.php)

exactly the

same product by the same manufacturer ("INVERTO", based in Luxembourg).

Inverto

Quattro Red Extend Long Neck LNB 40mm 0,3

PS .

It is made in China!