ALERT FOR SKYPE USERS

Got up this morning to discover that my account had been hacked and my registered email address and password changed so I cannot access it. Fortunately Skype sent an email to my correct address notifying me, unfortunately they didn't provide or require a confirmation respose [:@]

If you have Skype my advice is to change your password.

UPDATE:

Fair play to Skype they got back to me promptly, confirmed that I'd been hacked, and set everything back to as it should be.

Still think positive confirmation of an email address would be better that a notification afterwards !

Thankfully my Skypeout credit is intact too so God knows what whoever hacked me gained frrom it.

Had another automatic email from Skype today saying:

This email confirms that Auto-recharge has been cancelled for the Skype Manager called Jabbar.

Possible reasons why Auto-recharge was cancelled are:

1. You cancelled Auto-recharge yourself.

2. The credit card you use for Auto-recharge payments has expired.

3. You are using PayPal for your Auto-recharge payments and either the

credit card linked with your PayPal account is no longer valid (for

example, it has expired), or you have cancelled your billing agreement

with Skype on the PayPal website.

Investigating Skype Manager reveals this:

Register a Skype Manager now and set up, manage and monitor the use of Skype in your company.

Take control of creating accounts, allocating credit and assigning features with Skype Manager.

I see that the hacker has (had) set up a Skype Manager A/C with the name Jabber and attempt to buy €100 of credit. Fortunately I don't use, nor would ever use, autorecharge and also, prior to my last manual top up which I paid via Paypal, the previous one had been years ago when still in UK and was paid by credit card which has subsequently expired. I could have deleted that card from the records but as it's long dead I've left it there so if anybody successfully hacked it again they'll think that they have hit the motherlode but will just be wasting their time, time they might be spending trying to steal from some other poor unsuspecting sap !