Windows 7 64 bit with Orange Livebox

Hi,

I have searched the archives but couldn't find an answer.

I have spent 5 hours connected to a friends laptop (logmein) trying to set up his wifi connection to his Orange livebox (Sagem mini).  He can connect via ethernet cable hence me using logmein, but not wifi.  Having searched the Orange website I can only find firmware update for 32 bit windows 7 not 64 bit.  Does anyone have an Orange Livebox that will connect wifi using the 64 bit system?, if so what make of livebox are you using.

I advised my friend to contact Orange and tell them he has two new computers running Windows 7 64bit and they are not compatible with his present livebox wifi setup.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sorry but what firmware are you looking for on the Orange site that you believe will solve this problem ?

There is no difference in the Livebox firmware for any OS, it doesn't care and how could it. Customers could be using anything from Linux or Mac OS, or any flavour of Windows, or all 3, and what you are infering is that they would need to flash the Livebox each time they switched !

Difficulties connecting to the Livebox have caused many to curse and despair but I think you are definitely barking up the wrong tree if you think the problem is some incompatibility of Win 7 64 bit with the Livebox. WiFi is WiFi and knows nothing of the operating system behind it and therefore all devices should work together regardless.

I think your friends first move should be to see if he can connect to someone elses system, preferrably one not using a Livebox.

It seems that the Orange installation software is not compatible with 64 bit Windows.

You do not need to use the Orange software to connect either by ethernet cable or by wifi.

If the laptop's built in wifi functions properly in Windows 7 ( ie. it has native Windows 7 64 bit drivers loaded - I assume if it was bought new with Windows 7 installed, then it does) then there should be no reason for the wifi not to work.

The updates you are referring to are only to the compatibility of the Orange installation software with Windows 7 and not to the Livebox firmware.

There is no need to use the Orange software to make a wifi connection. You can make the connection manually by entering the security key.

Are you sure the wifi is working properly? That the laptop wifi works with other networks? That the wifi setting in the Livebox are set to active ?

Danny

[quote user="AnOther"]Sorry but what firmware are you looking for on the Orange site that you believe will solve this problem ?

There is no difference in the Livebox firmware for any OS, it doesn't care and how could it. Customers could be using anything from Linux or Mac OS, or any flavour of Windows, or all 3, and what you are infering is that they would need to flash the Livebox each time they switched !

Difficulties connecting to the Livebox have caused many to curse and despair but I think you are definitely barking up the wrong tree if you think the problem is some incompatibility of Win 7 64 bit with the Livebox. WiFi is WiFi and knows nothing of the operating system behind it and therefore all devices should work together regardless.

I think your friends first move should be to see if he can connect to someone elses system, preferrably one not using a Livebox.

[/quote]

I must have missed something in your reasoning Ernie.  If hardware manufacturers have had to release new drivers for their products to enable use with windows Vista and 7 64 bit systems surely this applies to adsl router wifi.  Also why do Orange say they will be releasing firmware updates for the livebox for use with 64 bit systems.  The laptop in question can see the router via wifi but cannot connect because the signal being sent is not compatible with 64 bit systems.

Danny,

Positive.  Have used the laptop with two other wifi routers with no problem.  I have entered the security key, paired the livebox with the laptop connection, can see the livebox signal but it fails to connect.  I can't find any other reason other than a problem with the livebox and Windows 7 64 bit.  Any other suggestions accepted.

[quote user="tel"] ... entered the security key, paired the livebox with the laptop connection, can see the livebox signal but it fails to connect.  I can't find any other reason other than a problem with the livebox and Windows 7 64 bit.  Any other suggestions accepted.[/quote]

No problem at all connecting to her Livebox with my friend's new Toshiba Win 7 64 bit laptop, a replacement after her Vista laptop was stolen.

Usual procedure ... no installation CD, set Livebox to 'pairing' mode, set computer to seek available wireless networks, chose correct Livebox, click connect, input security code ... eh voilà.

Sue

[quote user="tel"]If hardware manufacturers have had to release new drivers for their products to enable use with windows Vista and 7 64 bit systems surely this applies to adsl router wifi.

Not neccessarily. Whilst it's true of course that the ethernet and WiFi adapters in your laptop or PC will require drivers to make them work the same is not true for a router which should work 'out of the box' both by ethernet and WiFi and with any OS. Updates may come but they will be enhancements to the basic functions or bug fixes but nothing which will be OS specific.

Also why do Orange say they will be releasing firmware updates for the livebox for use with 64 bit systems. 

Danny has answered this but I think you may be confusing firmware and software. I see on the Orange site that they talk about Win 7 drivers for modems but that will be software drivers for the USB side not a Livebox firmware update. Can you point us to where it specifically says 'firmware updates for the livebox for use with 64 bit systems' ?

The laptop in question can see the router via wifi but cannot connect because the signal being sent is not compatible with 64 bit systems.

Where have you plucked 'signal sent is not compatible' from ? If the laptop can see the router then the WiFi link is functioning perfectly and the fact that it will not actually connect will be down to something other than alleged 'incompatible WiFi'. Have you tried turning the security off or at least dropping it down to WEP ?

How about a factory reset ?

According to the Livebox manual the minimum requirements are stated as:

> for Windows: Pentium II, 400 MHz, RAM: 128 Mbytes,

> for MacOS: Power PC G3, 233 MHz, RAM: 128 Mbytes,

> 30 Mbytes free on your hard disk,

> a monitor with minimum resolution of 1024 x 768.

If your computer does not have the Wi-Fi function, you must fit a Wi-Fi accessory (IEEE 802.11b/g standard) to be able to connect to the WLAN access point of the SAGEM F@st™ 3202.

You will note that there is no mention of any specific OS, just Windows or Mac.[/quote]

Suein56: Just out of curiosity which Livebox does your friend have ?

EDIT: If this is the update you refer to it confirms that is just USB drivers. There is even a dedicated page for Win7 (32 & 64 bit)

I always find it takes several attempts to get any new device to connect to our Livebox. I can confirm that as long as you have a functioning wireless adaptor (and it is switched on) all you need to do is to enter the security key code, the operating system is irrelevant. Don't bother with any Orange software which is more trouble than it's worth, unless setting up the Livebox for the first time, and even then you can ditch it once everything is working.

Have the security key code ready. Press the 'pairing' button on the Livebox. Enter the code on your computer, use upper case letters and omit spaces, don't confuse 'B' with '8', 'D' with '0' etc (the code supplied by Orange for our particular livebox is rather indistinct and it can be difficult to distinguish some characters, the label on the box itself is clearer). Make sure you take no longer than 5 minutes to enter the key code - if more time elapses start again.

These instructions might sound obvious, but follow them carefully and there is no reason why it shouldn't work - eventually.

Thank you for all the helpful replies, having checked out several Windows 7 forums I now believe the problem may be that the livebox in question uses WEP which according to those forums is not compatible with Windows Vista and 7 - 64 bit systems.  I will change the security setting later today and try again.

Regards

[quote user="AnOther"]

Suein56: Just out of curiosity which Livebox does your friend have ?[/quote]

It is this one : the Sagem from January 2007; the one with the fragile, wobbly pairing 'button'.

Mine's an Inventel and bits of it seem more solid somehow - well the 2 buttons anyway.

Sue