We use a Pace digibox in France which behaves perfectly. It's a 2600CI, which looks like the DS430N but is supposed to have a better tuner for fringe areas. The only one that seems more sensitive (and we've tried loads) is the Humax HD freesat box.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI, Already posted on this thread and have just noticed that someone mentioned the pace ds430n and that is the model I have and its still going off. I find that every morning when I take a look at the sky box that its turned to standy 'Red light'.

I wish someone would come up with the answer as to whats going on at the moment with these boxes.,

Mine is a Pace 1.0.55. browsing other relevant forums, there appears to have been an update within the last 10 days or so. I am half convinced it was this that caused our problems. At least 7 on this forum has posted that they are experiencing the same  problem, so 7 boxes developing the same faullt at the same? seems too much of a coincidence.

If the problem is a glitch with the auto standby function in then my Tivos would probably cope with that.

I'd just set them to record one or two random programmes during the night and the act of them changing the Sky box channel would keep it awake and out of standby [;-)]

Let's see a humax do that, or any other PVR for that matter [Www] 

Mines is a Panasonic and I don't have a problem now. I did some months back when they introduced the auto standby option but I simply went in to the Setup and turned it off. If I record something after I have gone to bed its still on in the morning where as before I discovered about the auto standby mode it would switch off half way through a program.

AFAIK auto standby kicks in at 01:00 (02:00 in France of course) or after 4 hours of inactivity i.e. last remote command or autoview programme.

Apparently the latest software update in March was aimed specifically at Pace non Sky+ boxes so it seems clear that this is where the problem has originated.

http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/sky_tv_guide.htm#Sky_Digibox_Firmware_Upgrade

Seems to me that auto standby has been very poorly though out 'enhancement' though which in truth saves very little.

I have just wired in my new Amstrad box. I'll keep you posted as to whether the problem now goes away.  My  other box is indeed the offending one and it does appear that a download has caused the problem, not the age of the box per se(turning off auto standby did not help!).  All parts of my anatomy are now crossed for a normal night's recording.

I wonder if our Pace box has escaped because it has not had a Sky card in it for ages? Or if it's because it's not one of the more common models? No doubt the 'improvement' will be rolled out to other boxes in due course. Sky is like that. Freesat is looking more attractive all the time.

[quote user="Will"]I wonder if our Pace box has escaped because it has not had a Sky card in it for ages? Or if it's because it's not one of the more common models? No doubt the 'improvement' will be rolled out to other boxes in due course. Sky is like that. Freesat is looking more attractive all the time.

[/quote]

I removed my card about a month ago and I get the problem at least once or twice a day over the last week. [:(]

Been on to Sky and they deny there is any issue with any Digibox, pace or otherwise.

Accordingly unless they issue a recall, which they won't of course as there is nothing wrong, if any customer has a problem they will have to send their box for repair either under guarantee or at their own expense.

I told them that the internet Sky forums and others were buzzing with the issue but he still denied any knowledge.

Tough then seems to be the official response [:'(]

Edit : Edited to comply with the Code of Conduct

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

As this thread has gone quiet, I was wondering if this problem has gone away for others or have you found a fix or just resigned yourselves to it?  We are still experiencing the same as before and it is getting rather annoying!

I'm afraid I just bought a recon' box second hand via Amazon as I too was getting mightily p**d off.  I think maybe Martin's forum link might give you a better idea of whether this problem is persisting as I guess there just aren't enough PACE box owners here.

Not long to go now 'til the big weekend.[:D]  See you soon.

Yes 'Pace' box and its still doing it. Not as much as it did before but its still turning itself off. I understand via a general letter from 'Big dish sat' that it was a update that sky sent out and that until sky send out another to fix it then were stuck with this problem. Pain in the butt it is.

Or as I said perhaps its a cunning plan to mess up all the illegal sky users in france! Could be.

Just out of interest I'm reunited with my two Pace boxes of 1999/2000 vintage and the one that I've tried so far is staying on all night (on Radio 4) without any problems.

It could be it missed the dodgy software update as it was unplugged from October to April.

My box is still resetting itself at random times but reading from another forum, they report that Sky have now removed the 3.8.8 update and if you try a forced update, you will go back to 3.7.6. People that have done this are saying that they are no longer experiencing any problems. I am a bit hesitant on doing this as there is the chance that if you dont do it right, you can corrupt it. So at the moment I am holding out on Sky getting their finger out and let them do it by normal means. 

Depends hjow bothered you are by it. There are really only 2 things which can go wrong with a forced update and they are loss of power or loss of signal during the process. Neither have ever happend to me in I don't know how updates but I've also heard that it's not necessarily fatal anyhow but don't quote me on that one.

Maybe I'll dig out one of my collection of old but working boxes and try interrupting it for the sheer hell of it, I think I've got a battered old Pace kicking around somewhere [6]