Where to buy new UK (QWERTY) laptop?

We had great results from Anglo Computer ( http://anglocomputer.com ). They got me a laptop with QWERTY keyboard, English-version Windows 7 operating system, and a French guarantee. They were very helpful to make sure I was not buying more memory and hard drive than I really needed. The prices were very attractive, and, most important, they took the time to explain, in non-technical English, how to get things set up. They have a big range of laptops and desktops, so you should be able to find what you need.

[quote user="ds99"]We had great results from Anglo Computer ( http://anglocomputer.com ). They got me a laptop with QWERTY keyboard, English-version Windows 7 operating system, and a French guarantee. They were very helpful to make sure I was not buying more memory and hard drive than I really needed. The prices were very attractive, and, most important, they took the time to explain, in non-technical English, how to get things set up. They have a big range of laptops and desktops, so you should be able to find what you need.[/quote]

Its the same people as www.anglocomputerrepair.com who are incorporated in Delaware USA according to their website and are in turn owned by Us to You Inc. They are not authorised Dell resellers as they do state but in very small print at the bottom of the website in there original post. So in short buy from them at your peril.

[quote user="anotherbloodyspammer"]We had great results from Bloggs Computer ( http://anotherbloodyspammer.com ). They got me a laptop with QWERTY keyboard, English-version Windows 7 operating system, and a French guarantee. They were very helpful to make sure I was not buying more memory and hard drive than I really needed. The prices were very attractive, and, most important, they took the time to explain, in non-technical English, how to get things set up. They have a big range of laptops and desktops, so you should be able to find what you need.[/quote]

Just in case anyone is tempted, despite Quillan's very clear post, to go with the crowd mentioned, please note that the above posting (or rather the original version) is not a genuine recommendation: it's a spammer who seems to crop up quite frequently on a range of fora, under a variety of disguises, all "one post wonders". Buy at your peril. Go directly to Dell if you want to buy their computers.

Regards

Pickles

Dell Europe at Montpellier, Mine is an UK Win 7operating system with a French "AZERTY" keyboard,  If you want UK "QUERTY" No problems

Dell SA

1 rond- point Benjamin Franklin

Montpellier Cedex 9

France

De 9h00 à 20h00 du lundi au vendredi

De 10h à

18h le samedi

0825387303  or see whats on offer use Ireland site, Prices in € and pages in English

Hope this helps

Perhaps only slightly relevant, but a cautionary tale nontheless. I wanted a new Qwerty keyboard. Did a search on Amazon. fr in English "QWERTY keyboard". Up came several each with a picture of a Qwerty keyboard - I could quite clearly read the letters. I ordered, and guess what arrived in the post. Yup, an Azerty.

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...
I have just received delivery of my new Dell QWERTY laptop with a French guarantee - purchased through Anglo Computers.  I had spent time on the net researching price etc.  Although this was slightly dearer than one I could have purchased via a mail order company in the UK (not a Dell, but an equivalent in terms of specification) it was important to me that I had a guarantee.  I found the company Anglo Computers easy to deal with and very helpful (Jaques made some good suggestions to reduce the price for me) and the service so far has been excellent.

I would be interested to learn of anyone who has had to use the guarantee - but like all insurance we resent paying for it, but if you don't have it .....

Susan

[quote user="Susan"]I read your response with interest - try going direct to Dell - they will not supply from the UK to France and I don't believe you can purchase a QWERTY keyboard here.
Susan
[/quote]

Sorry Sue, you got this one wrong I bought my PC through Dell UK( although the call centre was in India) and got it complete with qwerty keyboard, delivered to France.

I've bought a desktop, and a laptop from Dell France, both with QWERTY keyboards and English software.

Just ring the number given on the website to place the order.

If you prefer to use English they will put you through to an English speaking person.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Spam clear out, not censorship.....[;-)]

[/quote]

Thank you SD it was exactly that and the posts that came after referred to the spam so there seemed little point in keeping them. By the way it was the same 'cowboy' as last time trying to sell Dells when he was not even a Dell re-seller so any warranty would not be worth the paper it was printed on. You can buy a UK spec machine direct from Dell in France without problems or from Dell UK and have it sent here (the latter is what my wife did also with no problems).

As an aside, I bought an HP PC from Amazon UK a couple of months ago - I touch type and can't cope with AZERTY.  I have been having real trouble with the keyboard (it gets through batteries at the rate of two a week!)  I complained by e-mail and, after running a few tests to ensure that it was the keyboard not the batteries which were at fault, they have promised to send me another QWERTY one - free, no postage charges, no need to send back the old one etc.  Not bad, wot?

You can buy an Apple laptop with any keyboard you want, if you're willing to order it and wait a bit; in my case it took about ten days.  It seems highly likely that the same thing would be possible with a Windows machine.

Incidentally, the choice is much wider than just AZERTY or QWERTY; there must be at least a dozen different QWERTY layouts to choose from.  For instance, you can have QWERTY letter keys but also have all the French accents on the keyboard.  If this would be useful to you, take a look at the Spanish keyboard layout, which is what I have.  I think someone has previously mentioned than the French Canadian layout is another possibility.