TOILETS

We are redoing the bath rooms and I asked the plummer if there should be a pipe from the toilet through the roof for fumes. He said no. Also our downstairs neighbor's toilet pipe ends at our floor and is in the wall. I know because the plummer broke the wall to install some pipes. I would think that this pipe ending where it does would not be exactly beneficial to our air quality among other things. Does anyone know what is necessary regarding these pipes?

Michal

>We are redoing the bath rooms
>and I asked the plummer
>if there should be a
>pipe from the toilet through
>the roof for fumes.
>He said no.

He's wrong. A properly installed fosse septique should have a primary ventilation pipe that extends up from the toilet to above the roof line to expel the natural gases produced. A "ventilation secondaire" should also be installed. This is a pipe from the outlet side of the fosse septique vented to free air.

Paul

This is a good thing to have as without it you will run the risk of bad smells. I think it's worth venting all waste pipes including sinks, showers, washing machines e.t.c. as is the American system. This not only gives you a smell free environment, but a breathing system clears the waste water faster.

Simon

Stench pipes are no longer a legal reqirement in the UK;they can be replaced by a valve which allows air into the pipe but does not allow pressure(and smells) out.This means that you do not have to penetrate the roof etc.Possibly one of these could be fitted in France.