Turn off phone Residence Secondaire.

I have been trying to turn off our French phone for the last week via the internet through espace client but have been unable to do this. Anyone else having the same problem? don't think it is our computer as been able to do this before.

By the way english number has changed, it is now 09 69 36 39 00 (in France) 00 33 9 69 36 39 00 (outside). Bet it is a premium rate number as well.

Steve

Yes, new number is premium one and the help service has deteriorated - in that I was offered help with my internet 6 days later rather than the same day.

Sorry do not suspend my phone so do not know the answer.

Good luck

WendyG

Morning all,

used the espace client a couple of days ago and no problem, switched the internet on by phone no problem, in fact they could not have been more helpful. It all depends who picks up, and I believe the time of day you contact them.

I don't have a problem turning my phone on and off - however I don't think you can turn the internet on and off. Assuming that France Telecom/Orange is being referred to.

The last time I tried I was told that with the internett you have to cancel the contract and start a new one on returning to France. I know of other people who have the same problem.

It depends which contract you have with Orange for internet.

I think the one you can turn on and off is called Decouverte.

We always turn ours off when we go away.

The only problem we find is that they cancel our direct debit and we have to fill in forms again to start it up again - one form to Orange and another one to our bank

I started a "decouverte internet" contract with FT/Orange in June.  They supplied a livebox at a monthly charge of €3.00.  When I write to Bordeaux to stop the internet I was advised by the FT helpline not to cancel my internet but to change the connection to acess libre - this is the free dial-up service that charges only when you use the internet so obviously no charges when the house is empty.  I continue to pay the €3.00 for the livebox but don't pay the €19.99 decouverte monthly fee.

I'll find out how well this works when I return next Sunday to France!  Just to emphasise, do not ask to cancel the internet, ask them to switch between decouverte and acess libre.  I hope your bank don't charge each time a direct debit is set up bubbles!

I start/stop the phone rental via Espace Client but there were problems around May time, worked okay in June/July for me.

[quote user="Rjpfrancais"]0969 363900 is NOT a premium rate number, well its not if you dial from France. [/quote]

Indeed not,  but blisteringly expensive from Britain.

I needed to ring an 09 number from Britain,   and I got my carrier Telco to check the price.    The only way they could do this was to ring the number themselves and then check on their own metering system.

It was 30 p per minute.

I did without......

Davy, that's the one - decouverte and then switched to acces libre.

An added advantage is that I can still receive emails on my orange email address (can't send any though).

And I hope the bank doesn't charge me for setting up a new direct debit. I didn't think of that - was just worried I might get cut off from internet access completely because first of all I didn't realise that the dd had been stopped and then I didn't realise that, as well as sending a rib and a form to Orange I also had to fill in another form to give the bank permission to send Orange the money.

Consequently, my bill monthly payment due on 7th July still hadn't been paid on 2nd August (the date on my most recent bank statement)

I had the same problem with the Direct Debit. Added my bank details via the espace client and they've now sent me a new direct debit form to complete and return. Maybe I'll try the access libre when we return to the UK in October.

Tenniswitch,

This is my usual procedure to turn on and off.

Logged in ok,

went to my services etc,

clicked on suspend line,

new window shows asking to confirm password etc,

then new window, but then nothing window blank and "done" at bottom left of screen,

When it works ok I get an e-mail confirming that my request has been actioned.

I have tried on both laptop and desktop machine, also used Firefox and IE so not computers fault. Am going over to daughters later to try on their machine, if it works time to ask Talktalk what have they done.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="Department71"]Tenniswitch,
This is my usual procedure to turn on and off.
Logged in ok,
went to my services etc,
clicked on suspend line,
new window shows asking to confirm password etc,
then new window, but then nothing window blank and "done" at bottom left of screen,
When it works ok I get an e-mail confirming that my request has been actioned.

I have tried on both laptop and desktop machine, also used Firefox and IE so not computers fault. Am going over to daughters later to try on their machine, if it works time to ask Talktalk what have they done.

Steve

[/quote]

That is weird.  Are you logging in via FT or Orange?  I find that the "new" Orange website is even flakier than the FT website, so do as much as possible to avoid it.

Are you getting the little warning about some parts of the pop-up window not being secure, and asking if you want to view everything?  And, if so, what are you choosing?

I just reactivated my service and received email confirmation within 5 minutes.

Hi TW.

No we haven't managed to find out why we can't turn off our phone, as we are going to be back in France mid September we decided to leave it on for now as there has to be a months gap between off and on etc we can sort it out when there, we may see about using their new? 3000 service and do it all via the automated voice on the phone ( wonder if it will be able to understand London accent French!)   it'll be easy turning the phone off from our french line but a bit of a bu66er turning it on, hopefully the internet will work for that.

We logged in using the FT website, its in my bookmark/favorites list.

Re the pop up window about not being secure, as always I click continue.

Steve

Hi All

Have just had my phone installed and have been put on ligne résidence secondaire 2hr fixe france. at 38 euros a month this is very expensive, is there a cheaper tarif as with the 4.6 euro cost of turning it back on you would only need to do it 5 times and it would cost more than paying 16 euros a month the whole year. Also if you turn on phone for say 2 weeks do you pay a whole month or just the 2 weeks,

hi have you resolved the problem re dissactivating your phone .I use the service and had no problem activating on 10 august, but now I am unable to dissactivate ,just as you say the screen is blanc after re-entering my passwords and it says done on the bar.I have used the service many times and had no problem before.

[quote user="Payrac-man"]Hi All

Have just had my phone installed and have been put on ligne résidence secondaire 2hr fixe france. at 38 euros a month this is very expensive, is there a cheaper tarif as with the 4.6 euro cost of turning it back on you would only need to do it 5 times and it would cost more than paying 16 euros a month the whole year. Also if you turn on phone for say 2 weeks do you pay a whole month or just the 2 weeks,[/quote]

38 euros per month!....

you seem to have opted for the extra sevices with calls included in the price. If you want just a simple line rental only, it is 16 euros per month.

http://boutique.orange.fr/ESHOP_mx_ft/?tp=F&ref=3500&IDCible=1&type=3

there are four monthly tariffs available - the basic line only is 16 euros the others are 19, 29 and 39 per month.

If you only want call them up (1014 free or in English 09 69 36 39 00 not free) or change your account on line (more complicated.....)

Danny

Hi Stu8, no haven't found out what has happened, must admit haven't tried it since our early posts as we are back there soon and decided to sort it out when there. Must admit it is weird why some can still do it while others have problems, When did you have problems? could it be FT were having problems  with its site a few weeks ago. At least I now know its not our computer or connection, phew!

Payrac-man

Seems FT had a sales drive to try and get more money out of punters when you signed up, we are paying the bog standard rate 16 euros month when connected, with no internet,  and we make our phone calls via Telerabais (cheap phone calls) but there are others. And it also depends on your phone needs.

We have been billed part months when its turned off mid way through a month,  at least when I could turn it off.  But I think it has to be on for at least one month .

I believe the 4.6 euros is only due when you turn the phone back on, to turn it off is free, so depends how many times you require their service how much it'll cost extra over the year.

Steve

Thanks all for your replies, having looked more closely at the bill I see that they are charging me 2 months in advance at 19 euros a month not 38 euros a month still this is weird as if I suspend the line next month they will owe me a month I think i will email them for clarification.

This happens with me too - if your phone is "on" when the bill is due you are charged for 2 months advance rental.  If the phone is "off" at the time of the bill they won't charge this - any adjystment either way is made on subsequent bills.  I have no minimum length of time that my phone has to be on, I've had anything from 7 to 28 days at a time.