BBC iplayer in France

[quote user="Richard"]I took the plunge and bought a months subscription to iportal. They're very good, they give you the first day free......[/quote]

I signed up to Iportal also (€5 for 1 month) but will go back to ukivpn who allow me to use the same login several times from the same household.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
I guess most people will have solved this problem by now, but if anyone is still unclear (like I was this time last week) I can  now get iPlayer on my TV and send it wirelessly to the portable in the bedroom.  A combination of Humax HD box, a VPN and the right cable sorted it all out for me.  Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more.  I'm no techy but it works for me.

I get my Broadband from UKTelecom which includes a free VPN if you tick the UKTV box in the application form.  No nasties on your PC, no change of home page just simple step by step instructions how to make a network connection to their VPN.

• 8 months later...
 A real  vpn account  can  be  worth while  thing.  Not  only  do  you  get  privacy  in  the  fact  that  nobody can see  what  or  where  you  have  been, you can access  some sites  that are normally  blocked.   You  can  on  some  accounts  connect  to  different  servers  to give  even  benefits, its a no brainer  if  you ask  me.

I use,  noirvpn dot  com  based I  believe  in France,  but  also  in English.  Fast  and  stable, never a  issue  in  the  last  year  with  them and  would  give them a nod!

Stella's claim in this, and another thread ref. BBC iplayer, that they use noirvpn for access, is untrue. If you open an account with them you then discover that they don't have a UK server, which prevents you from accessing iplayer -despite their site claiming to unblock ALL websites and services. I'm trying for a refund but not holding out much hope.

OK, if you want to watch BBC iplayer in France then you should go to www.witopia.net. I have used their vpn to access iplayer for several years both here in France and also in The Middle East with no problems. They have worldwide servers including The UK (London and Manchester although it doesn't matter which you use). The cost of the download is 59$ and you can be up and running in about 5 minutes. Installation and use is very simple and I recommend it.

[quote user="hautepy"]Stella's claim in this, and another thread ref. BBC iplayer, that they use noirvpn for access, is untrue. If you open an account with them you then discover that they don't have a UK server, which prevents you from accessing iplayer -despite their site claiming to unblock ALL websites and services. I'm trying for a refund but not holding out much hope.[/quote]

Not  wanting to get  into a  tit for tat chat,  but  I  would  think if  you  read  the site info it  tells  you which countries  you  will  get an IP  from  and  considereing  that  BBC iPlayer  is  only avialable  to  residents  of  the UK, unless  you  use an UK ip addy,  then  you  will  be  out  of  luck.  Did  you do your homework  first? Did  you  ask  about this first? 

I  feel  the  service from noirvpn is  top  notch,  for  my use  anyway.  Hmmm to  me, a  strange  comment from  such a new  poster,  unless  you  have some  other issue  to hide....

I  would  suggest  that  you  go  for  a higher  priced  vpn account, which icludes  a  IP from the UK  or  go  for a  Spiderbox,  which is a  linux  based  stb,  that I beleive hacks  the  package....but  this  is  not  the  forum  for this type  of conversation....

[quote user="stella"][quote user="hautepy"]Stella's claim in this, and another thread ref. BBC iplayer, that they use noirvpn for access, is untrue. If you open an account with them you then discover that they don't have a UK server, which prevents you from accessing iplayer -despite their site claiming to unblock ALL websites and services. I'm trying for a refund but not holding out much hope.[/quote]

Not  wanting to get  into a  tit for tat chat,  but  I  would  think if  you  read  the site info it  tells  you which countries  you  will  get an IP  from  and  considereing  that  BBC iPlayer  is  only avialable  to  residents  of  the UK, unless  you  use an UK ip addy,  then  you  will  be  out  of  luck.  Did  you do your homework  first? Did  you  ask  about this first? 

I  feel  the  service from noirvpn is  top  notch,  for  my use  anyway.  Hmmm to  me, a  strange  comment from  such a new  poster,  unless  you  have some  other issue  to hide....

I  would  suggest  that  you  go  for  a higher  priced  vpn account, which icludes  a  IP from the UK  or  go  for a  Spiderbox,  which is a  linux  based  stb,  that I beleive hacks  the  package....but  this  is  not  the  forum  for this type  of conversation....

[/quote]

Most people reading this thread do not want to hide their IP address unless it is to watch UK TV using iPlayer. Your post indicated that the service you subscribe to would do just that otherwise why would you post on a thread specific to "BBC iplayer in France", unless of course you have an interest in the company?

[quote user="AnOther"]If you're banking on Onspeed for increased internet performance then you may well be disappointed but as a proxy for the iPlayer et al it simply works and is a cheap and reliable solution.

[/quote]ANO, having read this and looked at various sites, this looks like the best vfm for what I want to do.  However, would it also work for other countires or just the UK?  Will it affect anything else on the computer that I might not have thought of - I assume that other sites, such as this one, which I use will still recognise me when I log on?

My thoughts exactly Jay -- as you say why would anyone post that particular recommendation on TWO threads relating to BBC i player unless they had another motive. They got my €6 anyway which they are refusing to refund -- with comments suspiciously similar to those made by Stella. Oh well you live and learn as they say.

"Most people reading this thread do not want to hide their IP address unless it is to watch UK TV using iPlayer. Your post indicated that the service you subscribe to would do just that otherwise why would you post on a thread specific to "BBC iplayer in France", unless of course you have an interest in the company?"

I  may  have  gotten  ahead of  myself,  since  other's  were  talking  about  vpn  already.  I  do  live  in france, but  am  not  english nor  french  and do  not  know  much about  iPlayer and  just assummed  that  the  vpn account I use would work. I guess not, so  sorry  if I  made  some mistake on judgement.  It  works  for  everything else I use,  but  it needs a  uk address.