BBC iplayer in France

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The iPortal IP seems to be used by all users VPN proxying on the site.

Resulting in an amusing conundrum on "another forum"[:D], last night.

Whilst watching BBCiPlayer I posted on the forum, of course the log showed up as the iportal IP.

BUT three others seemed to have done the same resulting in three "krackers" with the same IP and for some reason an unexplained transposition of "nicks".

In effect whilst the IPortal connection is open then you will be routed through that IP.

By the way nothing to do with montenegro.

See http://www.domain.me/

Oh the UK hub is on a commercial unit at a farm near Briantspuddle.

The IP is from a company in the Russian Federation with the specific iportal IP located in the south eastern suburbs of Moskva.

Sorry explain maybe later...time for lunch. 

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Whilst watching BBCiPlayer I posted on the forum, of course the log showed up as the iportal IP.

BUT three others seemed to have done the same resulting in three "krackers" with the same IP and for some reason an unexplained transposition of "nicks".[/quote]

Haha I'd love to have been there, I bet all concerned were thinking wtf ......? [:D]

When I originally checked up on the .me registration I looked at Wiki  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.me but I didn't read the whole page. Now I have done while having my lunch and it's quite clear so I understand what you say. I've always only connected to iPortail when I want to watch TV and disable it as soon as I've finished watching which is probably just as well with regard to forums. [:)]

[quote user="Gemini_man"][quote user="pachapapa"]

BUT three others seemed to have done the same resulting in three "krackers" with the same IP and for some reason an unexplained transposition of "nicks".[/quote]

Haha I'd love to have been there, I bet all concerned were thinking wtf ......? [:D]

When I originally checked up on the .me registration I looked at Wiki  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.me but I didn't read the whole page. Now I have done while having my lunch and it's quite clear so I understand what you say. I've always only connected to iPortail when I want to watch TV and disable it as soon as I've finished watching which is probably just as well with regard to forums. [:)]

[/quote]

Just activated the VPN Proxy to see if still working; getting ready for Question Time.

So I thought it might be of interest to paste a copy of the Log from last night and just the initialisation for just now.

Asteriks replace the User ID details.

You will see there are 3 connection configurations with the straight VPN tunnel for a french "Box".

Système d'exploitation    : Windows NT 6.0 Service Pack 2
 Version du numéroteur     : 7.2.6002.18005
 Nom de la connexion       : iPortal
 Tous les util/util unique : Utilisateur unique
 Date/heure de début       : 21/10/2009, 18:14:40
 Nom du module, heure, ID de session, nom d'élément de session, autre info
 Type de connexion, 0=connexion à distance, 1=VPN, 2=VPN via connexion à distance
[cmdial32] 18:14:40 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\cmstp.exe
[cmdial32] 18:15:45 04 Ã‰vénement de préconnexion Type de connexion = 1
[cmdial32] 18:15:45 06 Ã‰vénement de prétunnel Nom utilisateur = Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£ Domaine =  ParamètreDUN = iPortal Tunnel Nom de périphérique = WAN Miniport (SSTP) Adresse du tunnel = iportal3.dyndns.org
[cmdial32] 18:15:47 07 Connecter l'événement 
[CMMON32] 18:18:51 23 Déconnexion externe 
[cmdial32] 18:18:51 13 Déconnecter l'événement Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

Date/heure de début       : 21/10/2009, 18:18:56
 Type de connexion, 0=connexion à distance, 1=VPN, 2=VPN via connexion à distance
[cmdial32] 18:18:56 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
[cmdial32] 18:18:56 04 Ã‰vénement de préconnexion Type de connexion = 1
[cmdial32] 18:18:56 06 Ã‰vénement de prétunnel Nom utilisateur = Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£ Domaine =  ParamètreDUN = iPortal Tunnel Nom de périphérique = WAN Miniport (SSTP) Adresse du tunnel = iportal3.dyndns.org
[cmdial32] 18:18:58 07 Connecter l'événement 

Date/heure de début       : 21/10/2009, 18:19:09
[cmdial32] 18:19:09 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
[CMMON32] 19:06:40 23 Déconnexion externe 
[cmdial32] 19:06:40 13 Déconnecter l'événement Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

Date/heure de début       : 21/10/2009, 19:26:14
[cmdial32] 19:26:14 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

Date/heure de début       : 21/10/2009, 19:28:15
[cmdial32] 19:28:15 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
[cmdial32] 19:28:15 04 Ã‰vénement de préconnexion Type de connexion = 1
[cmdial32] 19:28:15 06 Ã‰vénement de prétunnel Nom utilisateur = ******* Domaine =  ParamètreDUN = iPortal Tunnel Nom de périphérique = WAN Miniport (SSTP) Adresse du tunnel = iportal3.dyndns.org
[cmdial32] 19:28:17 07 Connecter l'événement 
[CMMON32] 19:29:34 24 Déconnexion manuelle interne 
[cmdial32] 19:29:34 13 Déconnecter l'événement Processus appelant = C:\Windows\system32\CMMON32.EXE

Date/heure de début       : 22/10/2009, 15:51:31
[cmdial32] 15:51:31 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
[cmdial32] 15:51:31 04 Ã‰vénement de préconnexion Type de connexion = 1
[cmdial32] 15:51:31 06 Ã‰vénement de prétunnel Nom utilisateur = ******* Domaine =  ParamètreDUN = iPortal Tunnel Nom de périphérique = WAN Miniport (SSTP) Adresse du tunnel = iportal3.dyndns.org
[cmdial32] 15:51:34 07 Connecter l'événement 

Date/heure de début       : 22/10/2009, 15:52:40
[cmdial32] 15:52:40 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

Edited to remove two overlooked User Nicks. WAW

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the iportal thingy today and it seemed to work ok. Both the BBC and ITV iplayers worked but like Youtube on a bad day progs would hang from time to time and then carry on. Not a problem I guess as I assume you can leave it to play and then wind it back a bit as you do with Youtube.

Following the suggestion that if your internet connection is a bit slow you could download the whole prog and play it later I tried this way of doing it. This is where the problems started. You have to download something called Adobe AIR and then the BBC iplayer desk top softwares. Having done this it would not download the file and kept closing down my AOL page. AOL would restart and then close down again and so on. Not sure what caused this but it must have been something to do with these last two bits of software I guess. In the end I restored the computer to yesterday and reloaded the iportal software and all working again but don't think I will try Adobe AIR and BBC iplayer desk top until I have found out what was happening! Any comments?......................................JR

[quote user="Richard"]The uninstaller is in a zip file, however when I click on it, the link will not open for me.
[/quote]

All the IPlayer does is to Configure  Network Connection; this can be zapped in the Net Connection Manager GUI.

Slightly different between XP and Vista.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

Tried the iportal thingy today and it seemed to work ok. Both the BBC and ITV iplayers worked but like Youtube on a bad day progs would hang from time to time and then carry on. Not a problem I guess as I assume you can leave it to play and then wind it back a bit as you do with Youtube.

Following the suggestion that if your internet connection is a bit slow you could download the whole prog and play it later I tried this way of doing it. This is where the problems started. You have to download something called Adobe AIR and then the BBC iplayer desk top softwares. Having done this it would not download the file and kept closing down my AOL page. AOL would restart and then close down again and so on. Not sure what caused this but it must have been something to do with these last two bits of software I guess. In the end I restored the computer to yesterday and reloaded the iportal software and all working again but don't think I will try Adobe AIR and BBC iplayer desk top until I have found out what was happening! Any comments?......................................JR

[/quote]

You could try the low bandwidth version which is found at the bottom of the page of whatever programme you are trying to watch. I have had no problems watching on that.

Adobe air I had already installed a while back and so had no problems with downloading the desktop player or any programmes.

Perhaps you could try downloading adobe air seperately from adobe while being off the iportal connection?

I used iPortal with no problems for a couple of weeks then one day it wouldn't connect, just kept timing out on checking my password. I tried re-installing the program but still didn't work. In the end I switched my Freebox off, it rebooted and then iPortal worked fine again.

Sometimes I also have buffering problems at peak times, just depends on your connection speed and bandwidth I expect. It seems to work better when I watch in a pop out window and close the BBC page and anything else I don't need to have open.

Mine still works on the XP Netbook but not on Vista desktop.

Problem started at half time watching a football game not even watching the poxy BBC.

My AliceBox  hasn't been rebooted for 16 days so not sure on that score.

Tried uninstalling cleaning register, etc, nothing.

Tried reregistering with a gmail address but no help; curious though it gives me the exact same User & Password with the different email account.

Puzzled, yours Hominid Gourgé.

I had the same thing when I registered a new account on a different address, always the same U and P, didn't make any difference though. Come to think about it, I suspect my problem may have started after my son came back for the weekend and also connected his laptop to the Freebox. We have had a situation in the past where there's been an IP conflict and the only answer was to reboot the box. Maybe worth trying a reboot with your Alicebox.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update:

earlier in this thread, I posted that I hadn't been able to use iPortal.

Mr Clair has since installed it on his laptop without any problems, so I decided to try again.

After numerous unsuccessful attempts, I have finally been able to use iPortal, but Mr Clair was unable to connect whilst I was using it (could it be because we have the same IP address?)

A successful outcome... eventually [:D], so my thanks to Gemini Man. I'll be able to watch video recipes on BBCi (and whatever else catches my eye!)

Excellent news Clair [:D]

I connect via Free to the net and the Freebox gives consecutive IP numbers to each computer that's connected, maybe your box doesn't do that. Having said that .... several times during the past week or so I've had to reboot my Freebox and repair my connection in order to connect to iPlayer - I don't know why and tbh nor am I particularly interested so long as I can eventually connect when I want to. Oh yes, and from time to time I find the iPortal icon has disappeared from my desktop so I just re-install the program.

Mind you, having not watched UK TV for almost 20 years it's a bit of an eye opener [blink]. At least with iPlayer you can be selective [:P].

I am following this thread with interest and also a similar thread on the Total France forum.A poster yesterday commented that he had looked at the iplayer software (I believe he means iportal) which is based on Montenegro. It appears to use a vpn network which in some cases can be used to access sensitive material including passwords, banking details etc.

VPN means nothing to me, but I wonder if anyone else shares the feeling expressed.

[quote user="Jazzer"]I am following this thread with interest and also a similar thread on the Total France forum.A poster yesterday commented that he had looked at the iplayer software (I believe he means iportal) which is based on Montenegro. It appears to use a vpn network which in some cases can be used to access sensitive material including passwords, banking details etc. VPN means nothing to me, but I wonder if anyone else shares the feeling expressed.[/quote]

The person who states that iPortal is based in Montenegro is a pwat, pur & simple.

I draw your attention Sir to a post on the previous page; try clicking the link; VPN Virtual Private Network.

Private Privacy ding ,ding!

BUT three others seemed to have done the same resulting in three "krackers" with the same IP and for some reason an unexplained transposition of "nicks".

In effect whilst the IPortal connection is open then you will be routed through that IP.

By the way nothing to do with montenegro.

See http://www.domain.me/

Oh the UK hub is on a commercial unit at a farm near Briantspuddle.

The IP is from a company in the Russian Federation with the specific iportal IP located in the south eastern suburbs of Moskva.

Sorry explain maybe later...time for lunch. 

Post edited by the moderators.

[quote user="NormanH"]

My system didn't like the file that was being installed, so I configured a VPN connection manually, as explained on:

http://free.korben.info/index.php/Configuration_d%27une_connexion_PPTP_%28VPN%29

Like that I didn't need to install anything I download which I never like doing anyway. [/quote]

Perhaps Norman's way might be the answer for me?

Having downloaded, and used, iportal successfully to catch up with a few programmes I had missed I was happy. Great stuff. Then, today, iportal wont connect at all. Following advice on here I rebooted the Livebox, but still no connection. As Zonealarm had updated I thought it might be that, but, after reading the thread again I am not so sure.

So, question, could updated Zonealarm be blocking this? How would I know?

Sue

Just tried that and you are right: the new version of Zonealarm does not allow connection. After stopping ZA I connected to iportal, started the BBC programme and then reintroduced ZA. Programme was going along fine until ZA started up again at which point the transmission stopped. Darn it!

Sue