BBC iplayer in France

I thought that it was difficult/impossible/illegal to get this outside of the UK.

But this week I listened to half a discussion on BBC radio 4 about this and heard a BBC man state that you could get it outside of the UK - and they had no intention of trying to 'sell' this service. (the man was questioned about the economics of this - the licence payer funding it etc).

Does anyone know if you can get IPlayer in France, and can UK residents send links to it to, for example France,  that will actually open ?

Many thanks

Tegwini

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you sign up to this site www.thebox.bz and then go here www.utorrent.com and download their program, using iplayer will be a thing of the past. thebox.bz has torrents to pretty much all UK produced tv shows. So just download what you want and watch. Much simpler than the BBC's pain in the neck iplayer. You'll also find a lot of old gems on that site like the good life, yes minister etc etc etc.

Was looking at this thread as have just missed "Have I Got a Bit More News for You".    Uurrgghh.

Re Thebox and Utorrent:     I thought you had to upload programmes as well as download them and as I haven't really understood how that works (and have nothing to upload) I haven't gone that route.  Can I just download?  (Can anyone put it in REALLY simple language?.....[8-)])

Chrissie (81)

Basically when you join up with thebox, you are allowed to download up to 5gb free.

However, they expect and require you to keep a ratio of upload to download of around 1 to 1. So for every gb you download, you should upload a gb. It's the basis of sharing. Nothing is stored on their server, everything you download is from other people's computers.

So, you download some files, say 2gb worth (remember you are allowed to download up to 5gb free without having to upload anything). Keep utorrent running and other people will also be able to take those files from you. This counts to your upload ratio which is good.

A good tip is to download the stuff that is labelled free next to it. Soap operas are excellent for this as it is free to download (ie will not add to your ratio), but you will be credited when other people take it from you. Even if you don't watch it, just download it and you will see your ratio healthily grow. And while your membership is in its infancy, only download popular stuff until your ratio is healthy enough to cope with some of the older shows that are listed there.

To sum up, as soon as you download something (as part of your free 5gb download) you then have something to upload.

There is an excellent help section on their site that explains it better and more consicly than I have. If you have any more queries, let me know and I'll try to help.

[quote user="tegwini"]

Does anyone know if you can get IPlayer in France, and can UK residents send links to it to, for example France,  that will actually open ?

Many thanks

Tegwini

[/quote]

There is a site which is currently beta testing a service which allows you to connect to BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand5. At the moment there's no charge but that will eventually change. I've used it a lot this week without any problems other than it does, inevitably, hog quite a lot of bandwidth. I have to admit I've enjoyed watching Strictly Come Dancing for the first time and I was delighted to see Bruce Forsythe, I thought he died ages ago [:-))] [:$].

If anyone wants the details send me a PM, I never get any mail here normally [:(], and I'll pass on the details. There are no catches, it's very simple, just requires an e-mail address, download a small program then connect to the sites.

I doubt it and in any case does not HADOPI depend on a complaint from a copyright holder ?

Somehow I don't see Auntie BEEB coming after anyone for watching Eastenders in France - not me I hasten to add !

Also, as this method of accessing the iPlayer is almost certainly facilitated by a UK based proxy (and possibly more than one), I think it would be pretty difficult, if not impossible, for the BEEB to trace a download to specific French ISP.

Actually I've just done a trace on the server and it's registered in Amsterdam !

[quote user="Richard"]What's the difference between downloading Eastenders from the internet or "downloading" it via satellite or recording on your skybox? End result is exactly the same. Technically both should be illegal then.

So when was this HADOPI thing been made legal now then? Thought it got thrown out.

[/quote]

I thought both were.

Are you allowed a skybox in France?

As for Hadopi see:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/200909154729/hadopi-2-adopted.html

I am as keen as anyone to find a legal way to watch iPlayer.

A revised version of the HADOPI law was voted in on May 13th, but then declared "unconstitutional" by the French constitutional council on June 10th, as they insisted that only a judge could impose the penalties.

The bill was then altered, and resubmitted at the end of September, with the stipulation that file-swappers would receive 2 warnings, and then be referred to a judge for decision on fines and withdrawal of internet access.  The new bill has been accepted by the National Assembly and the Senate.

It may still be challenged by the constitutional council.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="Richard"]What's the difference between downloading Eastenders from the internet or "downloading" it via satellite or recording on your skybox? End result is exactly the same. Technically both should be illegal then.

So when was this HADOPI thing been made legal now then? Thought it got thrown out.

[/quote]

I thought both were.

Are you allowed a skybox in France?

As for Hadopi see:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/200909154729/hadopi-2-adopted.html

I am as keen as anyone to find a legal way to watch iPlayer.

[/quote]

Yes. Whether you are allowed to use it, I don't know.

Well, I hope the extra money all these pop singers will now be getting as less people will download their stuff, that they will actually be able to produce music that is actually worth buying. Maybe a whole album of good songs instead of one or two good ones and the rest just filler.

Many thanks all

I am still a bit confused as I have heard that sky etc is available - but not necessarily legal, and that IPlayer is similar!

We have an ancient skybox and are considering bringing it to France - with an oldish skycard (freesat) - it seems we can't get Freeview in rural Wiltshire at present.

Mind you,  I am a great believer in the 11th Commandment, and also that   'Rules are for the guidance of the wise, and for the obedience of fools' 

BUT would not want to break the law- not too much anyway!

Tegwini

Tegwini sky is "available", although you need a UK address in order to subscribe to it. If you just bring your sky box over, you can still pick up the free to air channels. Whether this is legal or not, I'm not really sure, and to be honest, it's not hurting anyone (although that of course doesn't make it legal, but if they were that worried about it, surely they would make it so it wasn't possible to watch in Europe). We still pay our tv licence fees, and we are watching tv, the money just goes to another system.

BBC iplayer is not available overseas, even if you use uk proxy servers to try and trick the system.

[quote user="Richard"]Well, I hope the extra money all these pop singers will now be getting as less people will download their stuff, that they will actually be able to produce music that is actually worth buying. Maybe a whole album of good songs instead of one or two good ones and the rest just filler.[/quote]There in lies the joke, which French artists produce anything remotely worth downloading.

I've said before this is really nothing more that Sarko cuddling up to his neuveau showbiz pals.

Still, I bet he didn't have to bend over to be persuaded, unlike a certain prominent UK politician who is pressing for similar measures there [Www]

Thank you, Richard, for explaining the torrent business.  that made it clear to me.  I'm not too sure about having people/websites accessing the stuff on my PC which I would have downloaded, though.  Will be thinking about this and the HADOPI business as well.

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Chrissie"]I'm not too sure about having people/websites accessing the stuff on my PC which I would have downloaded, though.[/quote]I think you can rest assured that the iPlayer presents no threat to you nor the information on your computer.

Even the popular illegal file sharing torrent clients such as Kaza and Limewire etc. are perfectly safe in themselves, breaches of security result from what you download, not the manner in which you download it.