Humax Foxsat HDR

Hi Bob T

I have used a French bought freesat unit for a few years now and have been looking for an alternative to a Skybox.

The FOXSATHDR looks to be just right. My only concern was how to backup the programs from the hard drive either to my PC or to an external hard drive..

I called Humax and their tech support says this can be done using the USB port.

Your comment that a 1Tb drive can easily be fitted caught my eye. Is it really "quite easy"?

At the moment I have two dishes; one pointed at a French satellite the other at the UK Astra 2. So I am deciding whether to have a dual LMB on the Astra 2 so that I record one channel and watch another; or put the second LMB onto a French satellite for all their freeview channels.

RonL

Ron, get a quad LNB for both dishes and you are totally future proof.

Look at the Panasonic HD recorders with built in decoders before you finally plump for the Humax - mine has twin decoders and will even record two channels at the same time.  I know everybody loves the Humax and I'm sure they're great but they are not the only solution out there.

I asked months ago if the "Fox" bit meant the Humax is actually a Murdoch product - does anybody know?

Humax is Korean and doesn't admit to be involved with Murdoch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humax but they do have an agreement with BskyB http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-04-14/bskyb-to-expand-internet-tv-sky-player-service-through-accord-with-humax.html
I've been looking at these for a little while and if Murdoch was openly involved it might be enough to put me off, but the Panasonic is over £100 (50%) more. I'm keeping a watching brief, at least until the Jan sales[:)]