New free software for bbc iPlayer - 'moves' your pc to UK

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="pachapapa"]

You must have installed HotspotShield which gives a USA I.P.

Try ExpatShield for a UK I.P.

[/quote]

Mine is caled Expatshield and I used the link previously published here to download it.

Since that post I have re-intstalled it, and the last time I tried it gave me a UK IP, but I wonder if it always gives the same.

If not this would explain some of the preceding posts about 'am now getting the message "not available in your area" etc'...

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="pachapapa"]

You must have installed HotspotShield which gives a USA I.P.

Try ExpatShield for a UK I.P.

[/quote]
Mine is caled Expatshield and I used the link previously published here to download it.
Since that post I have re-intstalled it, and the last time I tried it gave me a UK IP, but I wonder if it always gives the same.
If not this would explain some of the preceding posts about 'am now getting the message "not available in your area" etc'...
[/quote]

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Lets hope it continues to work. Although I never watch the BEEB, other than the rugby occasionally.

I am maybe stating the obvious here, but you guys are only using this when you wish to watch Iplayer / 4od etc and disconnecting it again afterwards? Because there is no point in using it all the time when surfing normal unrestricted websites day to day. Infact doing so will simply add needless loading on the system and may lead to it slowing down or making it impossible for others to connect.

[quote user="dave21478"]I am maybe stating the obvious here, but you guys are only using this when you wish to watch Iplayer / 4od etc and disconnecting it again afterwards? Because there is no point in using it all the time when surfing normal unrestricted websites day to day. Infact doing so will simply add needless loading on the system and may lead to it slowing down or making it impossible for others to connect.
[/quote]

And the iPlayer Desktop has a default report back configuration which should be disabled.

Open BBCiplayer Desktop>Click on Preferences Tab>Click on Radio Button for BBCiPlayer Reporting>Save

I have also disactivated the Boot on Start Up option , cos I hate things that lurk when not being used and occupy memory, it may also advertise the presence of the programme.

On Vista I cant disactivate two buttons at one time, each button must be done separately.

Thanks. Having done the above, if I download a program, using Expat shield, then re-boot (to simulate coming back to watch my download later) I can only watch the program if I am not online. If I do not disconnect from the router, iplayer desktop gives me an error message - and wipes the download from my hard drive.

Is this the same for everyone else who is saving, rather than just watching programs live?

After the rave reviews I downloaded this last night; this mornng my laptop was completely frozen! I've uninstalled it and we're back to normal again. Not a happy bunny!

I'm wondering if there's a lack of 64 bit compatibility (I'm on W7 too).

Not to worry, I can live without iPlayer as I record nearly everything I watch anyway (Humax).

mogs: "If I have 2 computers and am accessing IPlayer etc through the proxy on one computer at the same time, does the other computer remain connected through my usual ISP?

Some sites I use don't allow connection via a proxy/VPN so just wondered."

I'm running it one laptop with no problem, and on the second one I've still got my French IP details showing.

Just like to add my thanks to chessie for posting about this. Also, as well as ITV and Channel 5, Channel 4's rather good 4OD service works too, with a great archive to wade through. The Iplayer gives best performance for me though, plays very smoothly :)

• 3 weeks later...
My BOI has the same or worse problem. Every Saturday and Sunday night it all grinds to a near halt and even the IP phone does not work. An investigation put it down to X Factor, it appears it is very popular with expats, namely those from Spain who can't get a Sky signal unless you have a dish the size of a house. I would check the time of X Factor against the times your having problems. It may of course not be that but it's worth an investigation perhaps?

I have been using one of the free ones hacked cable and kept loosing the stations , so yesterday I signed up for one of the £5 a month vpn and last nights viewing was ok.

In my new location you need a dish the size of what they have at jodral bank . [Www]

Is this Expatshield thing free to use? If it is I wonder how many people use it and is some form of proxy server? If that's what it is and my theory is correct and you having problems tonight between 19:30 and 22:00 CET then its too many people watching Strictly Come Dancing and X Factor and taking the band width. I you had Problems last night around those times it was probably the same shows (performance last night, results tonight).