New free software for bbc iPlayer - 'moves' your pc to UK

Having read the 2 previous, long and (sorry) rather techy threads about the BBC iPlayer - I found this article in the Independent today.

'Software cheat lets people watch BBC iPlayer abroad' - refers to being able to download and use free (free!!) software which tricks BBC iPlayer into thinking your PC is in the UK - rather than wherever in the world it may be.

Sorry can't put link - but the headline is in the '...'   above.    The software is called Expat Shield (at expatshield.com).

Would like to try this - anyone know how 'safe' it is and what hiccups might occur ?

Thank you - from totally techie dumbo !!

Chessie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, seems to work well.

I installed it on a 'sacraficial' notbook this morning, by which I mean if there were any nasties I have no hesitation of wiping everything and starting from scratch.

My observations:

Download is pretty small (around 5.5Mbytes) The install took quite a long time but got there in the end.  Comodo kept asking me to confirm if I really wanted to install it, mainly I think because the digital signature isn't quite correct and also it doesn't fully comply with 'Windows Standards' but why would it when its a hack!

Using Chrome as my browser I haven't had the ads pop up or redirected to Anchor Free yet but in any case its would only be a small irritation.

Thanks very much for the Heads Up [:D]

Checked the VPN.[:)] Zooms in on Sit-in-bone in Kent. IP 85.237.211.224, Areti Internet Ltd taken over by an American Company in 2008.

The ExpatShield is a bit intrusive with automatic activation on boot which interferes with my LAN; I seem to have resolved this by reconfiguring the following to manual activation.

C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXPAT SHIELD\BIN\OPENVPNAS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXPAT SHIELD\HSSWPR\HSSSRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXPAT SHIELD\BIN\EXPATTRAYSERVICE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXPAT SHIELD\BIN\HSSWD.EXE

But it looks promising nevertheless.

[quote user="chessie"]Having read the 2 previous, long and (sorry) rather techy threads about the BBC iPlayer - I found this article in the Independent today.

'Software cheat lets people watch BBC iPlayer abroad' - refers to being able to download and use free (free!!) software which tricks BBC iPlayer into thinking your PC is in the UK - rather than wherever in the world it may be.

Sorry can't put link - but the headline is in the '...'   above.    The software is called Expat Shield (at expatshield.com).

Would like to try this - anyone know how 'safe' it is and what hiccups might occur ?

Thank you - from totally techie dumbo !!

Chessie

[/quote]

Thanks for that

chessie
- well done, excellent link, works fine with no ill effects. http://expatshield.com/

Great post.

Works well, no ill effects.

If you do not want it on all the time, ie., only when accessing necessary sites, you can disable it loading with windows, and if you have a decent firewall you can tell the firewall that it has to ask each time before it accesses the internet.

To disable it loading with Windows, right click on the 'tray' icon, and you will see an option to prevent it loading on reboot, et voila.

Yes, I have the latest version. Once downloaded it will only play back if I'm connected through Expat - which defeats the object as I could just watch it online. I have tried downloading a program from the last 2 or 3 days list as a WMV file (this option isn't offered when I search for an older file). When I first play it , it "searches" for online authentication and won't play unless I'm connected to Expat;

I am so grateful to the OP for the link and am enjoying watching programs we have missed but am so frustrated not being able to save and playback files. Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong please? it is the same on my netbook (XP), Laptop (Win7) and PC5XP) - all connected through a Netgear router. Thanks,

This is great, thanks for posting BUT I have a problem. This morning I was asked if I wanted to make expat whatever my homepage or keep with google and I chose google ( though I do have the expat in my tool bar) . However everytime I search using the google window, it finds the result but before I can clik on itn the page defaults to a different and rather useless seach engine. How can I stop this ?

There are any number of free video recording programmes you can download then just play whatever it is you want and record it at the same time for later playback.

In the case of programmes recorded from ITV/CH4/5 etc. you will also now be able to skip adverts [:D]

If I have 2 computers and am accessing IPlayer etc through the proxy on one computer at the same time, does the other computer remain connected through my usual ISP?

Some sites I use don't allow connection via a proxy/VPN so just wondered.

I asked because one of the sites I regularly use seems to be down, but just wondered if it can detect I have a proxy address, even though i've disabled the proxy and won't attempt to connect to it via the proxy on the other PC.

[quote user="mogs"]If I have 2 computers and am accessing IPlayer etc through the proxy on one computer at the same time, does the other computer remain connected through my usual ISP? Some sites I use don't allow connection via a proxy/VPN so just wondered.[/quote]

Both access the net via the ISP server one to your proxy and then to the IP requested, the other to the IP requested. So one computer can be viewing iPlayer, the other gets a your in the wrong bleedin' country message.

It worked fine yesterday, the shield is still activated. When I tried the I player just , the programme started and then stopped and the not availbale in your area notice came up and I can't get anything on the beeb now. Going to see if C4 and ITV is still ok.