BBC and ITV on the internet

[quote user="AnOther"]To be honest it's hard to see any real difference and I'm unconvinced of their claims of quantum speed improvements. A lot depends on the content of the web pages you visit, graphics are already heavily compressed so you'll gain nothing by Onspeed's servers trying to compress them again. Similarly speeds whilst downloading files in compressed .zip or .rar format will show little or no difference.

[/quote]

It all depends on your connection speed. If you have 2 meg or greater you will see no difference whatsoever.

Stella's claim in this, and another thread ref. BBC iplayer, that they use noirvpn for access, is untrue. If you open an account with them you then discover that they don't have a UK server, which prevents you from accessing iplayer -despite their site claiming to unblock ALL websites and services. I'm trying for a refund but not holding out much hope.

[quote user="Quillan"]I am led to believe that the company you mention does not have a vpn server in the UK and therefore does not work with IPlayer. What the site is designed to do is hide your IP address for things like downloading music and video's. If you pay up and use this site to try and watch UK TV over the internet you will be disappointed. I am also led to believe that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get a refund once you have found this out. Other than that, if you read the website front page it does exactly what it say's.[/quote]

Did  I  say  that  noirvpn has a server  in  the  UK  that  gives  a IP  from the UK?  Sorry,  but  why  pick on me?  Not  really part of  the  first  post here either,  so  we  go off  topic.  However, the  use  of a  vpn account  offers  much  more  security  verus a  proxy account,  if  you  care  to  understand  the difference.  A  proxy  can  be  traced, while a vpn can't  be  traced.

If  you  want  to watch  UK  TV,  then  you need a  proper  sat  box, one  which  will  pull in  signals  from uncle  Rup.  This  is  not  what  vpn does,  but is what  MY  sat  box  does.

Refund,  who does  that  anyway these  days. I read  the  rules, its  clear so I  asked  all  the  questions  first ,  B4 I  joined.   Ask  first,  then  pay  for  what  you get, seems  to  be  the  general  rule  of  life.

The  site does  what  it  says  on  the  wrapper, offer  protection!  No  issue  from my  side.

[quote user="stella"][quote user="Quillan"]I am led to believe that the company you mention does not have a vpn server in the UK and therefore does not work with IPlayer. What the site is designed to do is hide your IP address for things like downloading music and video's. If you pay up and use this site to try and watch UK TV over the internet you will be disappointed. I am also led to believe that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get a refund once you have found this out. Other than that, if you read the website front page it does exactly what it say's.[/quote]

Did  I  say  that  noirvpn has a server  in  the  UK  that  gives  a IP  from the UK?  Sorry,  but  why  pick on me?  Not  really part of  the  first  post here either,  so  we  go off  topic.  However, the  use  of a  vpn account  offers  much  more  security  verus a  proxy account,  if  you  care  to  understand  the difference.  A  proxy  can  be  traced, while a vpn can't  be  traced.
If  you  want  to watch  UK  TV,  then  you need a  proper  sat  box, one  which  will  pull in  signals  from uncle  Rup.  This  is  not  what  vpn does,  but is what  MY  sat  box  does.
Refund,  who does  that  anyway these  days. I read  the  rules, its  clear so I  asked  all  the  questions  first ,  B4 I  joined.   Ask  first,  then  pay  for  what  you get, seems  to  be  the  general  rule  of  life.
The  site does  what  it  says  on  the  wrapper, offer  protection!  No  issue  from my  side.
[/quote]

Why not just use a free VPN by Comodo?

Easy-VPN!

http://easy-vpn.comodo.com/

[quote user="Quillan"]The why post your comments in a thread about getting the BBC and ITV on the Internet in France when clearly, by your own admission, nothing to do with it. Are you sure you don't work for them? [;-)][/quote]

Sorry Quillan,  I was just  putting  out  info...since  other posters before  me  were talking about  vpn.  Since  I  use a  vpn account,  I  though  it  might  clear  up  some  questions  here,  but  the poster,  with 3 posts  to  his  name  clearly  has an issue here....don't  know  what I  said to  get  that poster going. I'm  just a  simple  user. So as  mentioned,  certain sat  boxs will  clear many channels including  the ones  mentioned already.  I  can about this  for  hours,  but  I  suspect  that  I'll  get beaten  up  if  I  do.

I  guess  next  time,  I'll  keep  quite.

If your talking about Spiderbox and 'gifts' (sharing somebodies subscription card for free or buying access on Ebay and the possibility of also turning it in to a media server to share your card) I think some people know already what you are talking about. However as you have now understood that to watch 'catchup TV' or just TV from the 'prime' UK none subscription stations over the Internet you have to be in the UK for copyright reasons and your validity is determined by the IP address you use as this also indicates the country you are in. The people outside the UK who do want 'I Player' (this is the name for the BBC version enabling you to watch BBC programs, ITV have a similar system) use a VPN in the UK solely to get access to these facilities. As for the rest of UK TV we can get hold of what is called a 'Sky' box either with or without a card that uses satellite which fortunately covers all of France and some of Spain. Some of us have HDD recorders or satellite receivers in our PC's all of which allow us to record programs we may normally miss. Hope that helps you understand better why they are asking about VPN's.

I've asked this elsewhere but without response because of the back and forth about who's in this for profit and who isn't (sorry, Stella, not your fault!) but don't yet have an answer.  Do these systems being discussed and recommended disguise your IP address altogether or do they fool the recipient into thinking they are in the UK?  I would like to know as I have the same problem trying to download the Daily Show from the US and wondered if the £25 jobs would solve this at the same time or if I do in fact need a poxy server.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I've asked this elsewhere but without response because of the back and forth about who's in this for profit and who isn't (sorry, Stella, not your fault!) but don't yet have an answer.  Do these systems being discussed and recommended disguise your IP address altogether or do they fool the recipient into thinking they are in the UK?  I would like to know as I have the same problem trying to download the Daily Show from the US and wondered if the £25 jobs would solve this at the same time or if I do in fact need a poxy server.[/quote]

If the issue is because of copyright then you may not be able to view it outside of the US. Just like with the UK you need to be in the country in which the program is broadcast. To get round this you can access a VPN (Virtual Private Network) that is located in the country. Loosely speaking you connect to the VPN which has a US or UK address which takes the data and pass's it to you so as far as the BBC (for instance) is concerned you are actually in the UK. Of course if your are 'in the UK' then you can't be 'in the US' and if there is copyright on a program in the US that restricts it to be only viewed in the US then you won't be able to see it. You could of course use a US VPN but then its all that mucking around in changing from one to the other depending on what you want to see.

As to copyright on the 'Daily Show' all I can say is I am not using a VPN (so they know I am in France) and am currently watching the following program which works fine.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-4-2010/the-mourning-after

If you have a problem a description of the problem may help resolve the issues.

Hope that helps.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]I've asked this elsewhere but without response because of the back and forth about who's in this for profit and who isn't (sorry, Stella, not your fault!) but don't yet have an answer.  Do these systems being discussed and recommended disguise your IP address altogether or do they fool the recipient into thinking they are in the UK?  I would like to know as I have the same problem trying to download the Daily Show from the US and wondered if the £25 jobs would solve this at the same time or if I do in fact need a poxy server.[/quote]

If the issue is because of copyright then you may not be able to view it outside of the US. Just like with the UK you need to be in the country in which the program is broadcast. To get round this you can access a VPN (Virtual Private Network) that is located in the country. Loosely speaking you connect to the VPN which has a US or UK address which takes the data and pass's it to you so as far as the BBC (for instance) is concerned you are actually in the UK. Of course if your are 'in the UK' then you can't be 'in the US' and if there is copyright on a program in the US that restricts it to be only viewed in the US then you won't be able to see it. You could of course use a US VPN but then its all that mucking around in changing from one to the other depending on what you want to see.

As to copyright on the 'Daily Show' all I can say is I am not using a VPN (so they know I am in France) and am currently watching the following program which works fine.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-4-2010/the-mourning-after

If you have a problem a description of the problem may help resolve the issues.

Hope that helps.

[/quote]If you click on the "Watch full Episode" bit underneath, what do you get?  I get a "Sorry, not allowed," message.  The bleeped, truncated version of the programme I watch and record every day from More4 - it's the full-blooded, uncut one which I'd like to watch if possible.

Thanks, btw, Quillan.  In effect I'd need an VPN for each one then - the US and the UK?

Hi Coops did as you suggested and it does not work so it's not you. Well actually it is you, and me, we are in France. So to watch it you will need to register with a VPN in the US. But that one won't let you watch UK stuff so you will have to register with two and flip the settings depending which one you want to watch.

If it helps there are some full episodes on YouTube, you can try a search on the following "the daily show with jon stewart full episodes 2010". Sod's law says the one you want won't be there of course. [:(]

[quote user="Quillan"]

So to watch it you will need to register with a VPN in the US. But that one won't let you watch UK stuff so you will have to register with two and flip the settings depending which one you want to watch.

[/quote]My instinct with all these poxy (just for you, me old chimney brush - I have a friend who refers to poplar trees as populars, but she genuinely thought this was what they are called, it was not a joke, unlike mine) servers and VPNs is to use create a Virtual PC for each and use it exclusively for viewing  but I'm only just getting used to how these function so does anybody think this would work, or would it slow the thing down too much doing it that way?

Just clicked my Expat Shield Launch and it activates with assignment of the UK I.P. but then opens a Hot Shield Page with an option to enter Hot Shield; when I close this it enters the normal Expat Shield Home Page. Confused me a bit; I am still not 100% sure about the service but it certainly works. Earlier with the VPN active I tried a ping test, it was not very happy and eventually had to uninstall the programme; it has it's own uninstall option.

I use a service from: noirvpn dot com

They have  4 servers, usa, canada, france and germany...all for 5 euro a month.

It works for me.  Tell which  show  you want (link etc)  and I test  it  for  you  with  my  usa account to see if  it  works.

• 1 month later...