Television reception

Hello all,

We have a holiday home in Charente Maritime, and a small old portable tv with aeriel for basic french channels, when we last visited (september) all was ok , but now there is no signal !

I suspect everyone has gone digital without me .

Can anyone enlighten me as to probable cause, and what I need to tune into Claire Chazel again,

Thanks anyway, Techno nerd !

[quote user="pachapapa"]

P.S. Atlantic Bird will also croak in 2011.

[/quote]

To be strictly accurate ppp "the analogue TV channels on Atlantic Bird 3 will likely be turned off near the end of 2011".     Unless you know of a stray meteorite that is heading for AB3 as I write.

AB3 will continue to carry French digital TV,  albeit a lot of it encrypted (Fransat,   BIS,  etc).

I've added the "likely" as it was thought that C+ analogue on AB3 would be switched off at the same time as the terrestrial analogue network.    Well it was - briefly - but re-appeared about 36 hours later,  and was still running when I last looked.    Presumably someone somewhere realised that it was feeding something they'd forgotten about (maybe an old analogue cable distribution head-end) and there was a quick rethink.    However,  it's days are certainly numbered....

Interesting question, our neighbour had an aerial fitted professionally a few years ago when he had analogue. He had problems when the transmitter went digital, I took a look in his roof at the aerial, never seen one like it before, it wasn't the normal one I am used to, (long arm with reflectors at the end pointing to the transmitter) it was something else,  it looked like a flat plate wire mesh pointing vertically. Heavens knows what type it was.

Yours should be ok if it's "normal" and strong enough for the area.

Steve

[quote user="Martin963"][quote user="pachapapa"]

P.S. Atlantic Bird will also croak in 2011.

[/quote]

To be strictly accurate ppp "the analogue TV channels on Atlantic Bird 3 will likely be turned off near the end of 2011".     Unless you know of a stray meteorite that is heading for AB3 as I write.

AB3 will continue to carry French digital TV,  albeit a lot of it encrypted (Fransat,   BIS,  etc).

I've added the "likely" as it was thought that C+ analogue on AB3 would be switched off at the same time as the terrestrial analogue network.    Well it was - briefly - but re-appeared about 36 hours later,  and was still running when I last looked.    Presumably someone somewhere realised that it was feeding something they'd forgotten about (maybe an old analogue cable distribution head-end) and there was a quick rethink.    However,  it's days are certainly numbered....

[/quote]

A metaphorical reference to analogue! I may eventually end up with FranSat if tha Amailloux TNT lacks power, I live in a cuvée. At moment their HD boxes are too expensive.

[quote user="Department71"]Interesting question, our neighbour had an aerial fitted professionally a few years ago when he had analogue. He had problems when the transmitter went digital, I took a look in his roof at the aerial, never seen one like it before, it wasn't the normal one I am used to, (long arm with reflectors at the end pointing to the transmitter) it was something else,  it looked like a flat plate wire mesh pointing vertically. Heavens knows what type it was.
Yours should be ok if it's "normal" and strong enough for the area.

Steve
[/quote] Normally used in locations where there is a high risk of interference from other local trasmitters I think. So pretty unlikely in rural France. Satcure have descriptions of them