Anyone homesick

We hear a lot of great positives on this site.
is there anyone out there who is homesick?
I only ask this as i would like a true picture of brits who have made the move and are not sure whether they have made the right .
decision.
I want to make the move when i retire,but would like to hear of the negatives some people may have had.
Regards Neil.

I think that everybody misses something of home. In my case it is pub lunches and good libraries.
However, having recently had our first UK holiday in six years, which we thoroughly enjoyed, the sheer volume of traffic and crowded towns, both of which we had forgotten, made us realise that we enloyed more the reasons which we chose to move in the first place.
I think we will try to get "home" more often, but we are no longer homesick since our recent return.

LAST EDITED ON 11-Feb-02 AT 08:41 PM (GMT)

We are planning our move, and love reading all the positives on this site too. But we feel that our home is where we are, we will have our bits and pieces all around us, our pets, and the 5 grown up children will probably still ring every day. But we will have those warm summer evenings, meals in the garden, flowers all year - or most of it, and making new friends. But all of a sudden we will have visitors that we haven`t seen for years for holidays! Cant wait.

Hi Neil, read your message and thought I must reply, I moved out for good at the start of 2000 at the age of 25! Had an affinity with France for years, especially where I am now in deepest darkest Vende.Bought my place in 1997 when the money was good in England and found myself spending more and more time here. There were a lot of pro's and con's involved in the decision to move out for good, family/friends, but if it feels right in your heart, do it! I see more of my close friends now than I would if i'd taken a job in London for instance, they love coming over to sit in a field for a couple of weeks and spending QUALITY time together. The big difference is the speed of life, whereas in England you find yourself subconsciously worrying and stressing about the smallest things that actually don't matter, over here a problem is a godsend to get the old grey matter in action. The electric goes off in England for 10 minutes and its a disaster, over here its a challenge as to who can find the candles and then hoping it doesn't come back on for a good while as we're having a great little chat without any distractions. I for one am never homesick and if this helps in anyway i'm glad, by the way don't forget to stock up on hp brown sauce, however good the local boulangerie is you can't beat a good bacon buttie on a foggy sunday morning after a few too many rouge ones the night before!

Good luck Marco