Orange.fr automatically shows account

Using a Livebox if I go to orange.fr when at home it automatically shows me as logged on showing all my account details and emails. This happens even if I give complete strangers access to the wifi.

Is there any way of preventing this happening? It must be a Livebox setting somewhere...

you need to "sign out'

open orange webpage, next to your login name, there is the option ' se deconnecter' click it to sign out.

this doesnt affect your use of livebox, but you will need to sign in eachtime you visit the website,

Same with our Livebox - any computer that is allowed to connect can then access my Orange account. It is a setting within the Livebox which cannot be changed by the user. Totally mutton-headed logic from Orange. I wonder how many offspring tinker with Mum's or Dad's Orange a/c?

It is not a setting on or in the livebox. It does not matter which model livbox you use.

As An0ther said earlier (on the fourth post) you need to create a second user/email account in your espace client and then you will no longer be logged in automatically.

Danny

Jane and Danny,

Please explain how, if it is not a setting within the box, the account is automatically opened. It is not a cookie on the computer, the server cannot guess who has just connected but it can recognise the internet connection password and automatically connect to the account.

Setting up another a/c does not stop a third party from accessing the connection owner's account but it does give a way of logging out each time.

I too have nothing in my Orange email and never will as I have absolutely no use for it.

I would always advise people to avoid tied email accounts as you are at risk of losing them if you change ISP. I learnt my lesson several years ago with BT and have been a free web based email man ever since.

The problem with gmail, hotmail and in particular yahoo is that they are easy targets for hackers. The Internet is full of people asking what to do because their account has been hacked.

The only sure way of protecting yourself and your emails is to download although MAPI accounts (like the ones I have already mentioned) do not allow you allow you to delete emails after download. If your emails are downloaded then changing your ISP is not a problem and of course they are deleted from the server after download. This does not however stop you reading your emails direct from the server via the web when on holiday etc. At least this way you are in control and if something gets deleted there is nobody else to blame. [;-)]

[quote user="AnOther"]I learnt my lesson several years ago with BT......

[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. I was with BT till I left the UK. About three years later I emailed a friend who by return said he thought I was ignoring him as the emails he had sent to my old BT address never got answered. This made me wonder why he had not got an 'undelivered' message so out of curiosity I dug out my old password and settings for the BT account and put them in to Outlook. Believe it or not it connected, the problem was there were so many emails it took about 5 hours to download them all. So it would seem at the time if you cancelled your account they didn't cancel your email address. I was told, and I don't know how true this is, that if you cancel your ISP account they are obliged to keep your email account open for a 'reasonable' amount of time, how long that is I don't have a clue neither do I know, as I said, how true this is.

[quote user="JK"]Jane and Danny,

Please explain how, if it is not a setting within the box, the account is automatically opened. It is not a cookie on the computer, the server cannot guess who has just connected but it can recognise the internet connection password and automatically connect to the account.

Setting up another a/c does not stop a third party from accessing the connection owner's account but it does give a way of logging out each time.[/quote]

JK,

It is not a cookie and it is not a setting in the livebox either, it is a setting on the Orange site.

If you have only one account - your 'compte principal' - then it open automatically without any login/password as it recognises your internet connection to Orange.

If you do not want this to happen you need to create a second user/email account and then once you log in to either (assuming that you don't tick the box which says 'mémoriser le mot de passe') and then close your window, you will then need to re-enter your password the next time you want to access your account.

You do not need to use the second user account but must keep it there.

If you delete the second user account, you will then be automatically identified again.

http://assistance.orange.fr/ne-pas-etre-automatiquement-identifie-sur-orange-fr-544.php

"Setting up another a/c does not stop a third party from accessing

the connection owner's account but it does give a way of logging out

each time"

I don't quite understand what you mean here. It does stop access as you have to use your password to log in.

Danny

Jane and Danny,

Yeah, got it now. Thanks for that.

The last para I phrased badly. I mean regardless of the a/c accessed it is still the connection owned by the renter (I was thinking HADOPI at this point). Mixing up 2 different topics, sorry.