orange internet phone giving constant engaged signal

confusion reigns....

VOIP is not the same as a DECT (cordless) phone or an iPhone which accesses the internet by wifi (wirelessly)

Only a phone physically plugged in to the livebox phone socket uses the Orange VOIP service. There is only one VOIP service. This can be a cordless or a wired phone.

Not a mobile phone though like your iPhone - even if it does connect to your livebox internet by wifi.

Danny

This is getting even more confusing.

The Sagem D16T is just an ordinary cordless phone and as such it's base can plug into the Livebox which is how you have it. It's not Wifi or VoIP so how this ties in with seeing another WiFi connection on your iPhone makes no sense. If you are getting a constant engaged from this arrangement then there is a fault either with the phone, the Livebox, or at FT's end. Easiest way to eliminate the Sagem phone is to plug in an ordinary telephone and see if the fault remains or clears.

my understanding is that the VOIP phone uses a different IP address

when connecting to the internet and thats why my iphone shows it as a

wifi signal but you can't actually connect via it.

This is wrong then, you only have one IP address for the Livebox and internet and as per above the phone is not a WiFi device. Do you have anything else in the house or nearby which is WiFi, another phone perhaps. It's possible that you've been picking this up and assuming it was something to do with the phone which it is not.

[quote user="Babbles"]The current phone is a Sagem D16T_FT ( thats what is printed underneath the charger) at the moment its hard wired in to the Live box with a filter, this has been the way it was set up and has worked for well over a year like this so I am assuming that it is set up correctly .[/quote]

On top of what the others have said there should be no filter between the Sagem D16T_FT and the LiveBox. The only place there should be a filter is between the LiveBox and the phone socket on the wall. I am wondering if your getting the term 'filter' confused with the 'adapter' which has a small plug (RJ11) on one end and a 'T' socket (like you have on the wall) on the other with a bit of cable about 6" long in between. If that is what you are talking about then it is not a filter but it would be handy if you can confirm this.

Would I also be correct in thinking you have an old contract for just Internet and phone (no TV) with no separate phone line subscription (the line subscription is around 14 Euros every two months)?

As also said the Iphone will connect via the wireless connection and you can browns the web, you can't make phone calls via the Internet with it. It (the Iphone) should only see one WiFi network, if it sees more than one then there must be a neighbour who has WiFi and your seeing theirs as well.

Q , your correct we have a landline and internet and we could have TV if it was available here but its not but I stand corrected it is bi monthly,

I thought that there is only 1 IP address or wifi signals ( I could be using the wrong terminology here)for the Live box but the techie at Orange in Bezier says that are 2 and thats why the wifi works and the Voip phone doesn't, so yes I can connect my Iphone via the internet and use an App to make cheap calls I was only saying that normally my Iphone can "see" the other wifi signal not that I can connect to it but its not visible now. I really want the VOIP phone to work as its free. The Sagam phone is VOIP compatible and I've tested it direct in the line and it works so I assume the phone is OK and is hardwired as we had to many wifi things like the printer and it was all getting a bit unreliable,and yes I am getting the filter muddled up with the adapter ( what a luddite!)

I've cut and pasted the info the liveob is giving me

Thanks for everyones input

1. Général

1.1 Nom de votre livebox :LiveBox 2 Mini

1.2 Firmware :h323-fr-7.2.9.8

1.3 Adresse IP WAN :86.197.45.231

1.4 Numéro de téléphone :N.A.

1.5 Connecté depuis :19:03:44

1.6 Port Ethernet rouge :Internet

1.7 Port Ethernet jaune :TV

2. WiFi

2.1 Nom du réseau (SSID) :Livebox-C74A

2.2 Mode :b+g

2.3 Canal :6

2.4 Mode de sécurité :WPA-PSK (TKIP)

2.5 Débit :54

3. Services

3.1 Internet :Activé

3.2 WiFi :Activé

3.3 Téléphonie par Internet :Désactivé

3.4 TV Orange :Activé

3.5 Visiophonie :Désactivé

3.6 DynDNS :Activé

3.7 Serveur DHCP :Activé

4. Équipements connectés

Device32(xx:xx:xx:xx:a5:4b)DHCP:192.168.1.10

Device(xx:xx:xx:xx:a2:6d)DHCP:192.168.1.45

Device2(xx:xx:xx:xx:62:59)DHCP:192.168.1.3

Device4(xx:xx:xx:xx:81:6e)DHCP:192.168.1.11

Gordy-VAIO(xx:xx:xx:xx:94:54)192.168.1.11

Device3(xx:xx:xx:xx:d1:28)DHCP:192.168.1.3

GEKKO-PC: Gekko:(xx:xx:xx:xx:6d:bf)DHCP:192.168.1.10

Q, thanks for the pm. As you can see I was without the internet for a couple of days. Took the old box back into Bezier and without any bother they changed it for a new one, (Pesky woman dealing with someone else!) bit of bother getting to configure but now all ok.

Sometimes I'm not being a luddite its just broken!!!!!