orange internet phone giving constant engaged signal

Is there a way I fix my orange box without calling orange or getting the local tech guy to come and fix it.

My orange box, the white one that looks like a book keeps getting this problem where the wifi and internet work but the internet phone doesn't it just gives an engaged signal. I've rebooted the box and de batteried the phone but still no joy.

my understanding is that you have 2 wifi signal and internet connections and I can't work out how to reboot the internet phone conection, the local tech guy can fix it but there's always a call out charge, I'd given up on orange when it took 6 weeks to send somebody out.

Really need to get it fixed as the landline to the UK is so expensive.

Help!

Go into your live box settings page on your pc ( type in 192.168.1.1) in the address bar and see if the phone line is activated. If it is, then you can try a phone test - the instructions are there. This will ring your phone.

If that doesn't work try re-setting the livebox to it's initial config by getting the nib of a pencil and pushing the reset button on the back/bottom of the Livebox. if you do this you will need your login details  which is a number beginning with  vc/....... and the password.

When I had that problem the above worked for me.

[quote user="Punch"]Go into your live box settings page on your pc ( type in 192.168.1.1) in the address bar and see if the phone line is activated. If it is, then you can try a phone test - the instructions are there. This will ring your phone.

If that doesn't work try re-setting the livebox to it's initial config by getting the nib of a pencil and pushing the reset button on the back/bottom of the Livebox. if you do this you will need your login details  which is a number beginning with  vc/....... and the password.

When I had that problem the above worked for me.

[/quote]

You need to hold the button in until all the lights on the front come on in a cascade pattern.

Thanks everyone, I typed in the number and it said to reboot the livebox, waited for the cascading lights but the @ sign stayed on flashing orange.

Then nothing worked the internet not even with a hard wire.

So took it to the Orange shop in Bezier where they tested it and it had dropped all its passwords but they reset it there and then so we're now back on line, hurrah guest happy hurrah!!

Interesting and dramatic thread; I can only thank my lucky stars that I am with Free/Alice so all this poking bits of wire through small holes is unnecessary. I can whilst reclining on my hamac simply reboot or reset the AliceBox using the Internet Explorer 8 Browser with the Netbook. It really would be excruciatingly tiresome to have to dismount from the hamac, walk up the garden, go indoors, go up stairs, remove the "Box" from the hooks on the wall, find a paper clip to straighten out, stick the paper clip in the small hole, wait for the reset to finish, put the "Box" back on the wall, go downstairs, etc,etc....[:D]

I am surprised Orange have not made provision for intranet rebooting!

• 8 months later...
Sorry to drag this back to the top, a similar problem has happened ,

192.168.1.1 I have typed this in and it is saying that the internet phone is Désactivé , how do I re set this without wiping the whole box by pushing the nib of a pen in as I had real problems last time I did that as I don't seem to have all the passwords to reactivate it. I've tried rebooting the live box by the button on the box and unplugging it.

Grr this is very frustrating!!!!!

That normally means that its not activated for the phone on the LiveBox at the Orange end.

If you remove the 'filter' plug from the wall, thats the one that goes from the the wall to the LiveBox and plug the phone directly in to the wall socket do you get a dial tone or an engaged tone. If you get just a dial tone thenOrange have not setup your account for the phone to run via the LiveBox and have left it as a normal phone, you culd the try phoning somebody to see if it works. If you get the engaged tone then they have changed it over so that means the problem is more likely to be in the LiveBox.

To really do anything you must have the Internet logon code and password, without this you are stuffed. You could try phoning Orange on either the French or English language help number and ask them to send you the code and password. They won't be able to tell you over the phone but they may post it to your billing address. You could try asking them to email it but I doubt they will but its worth a try.

I have found the English help line very useful in the past and they are quite happy 'hand holding' people who have no knowledge of these things. They even phoned me back on my mobile when I broke the connection. It would be quicker than going back and forth via the forum.

Just a wild idea........Our Orange internet phone failed to work, the English speaking helpline guys tried everything but nothing worked, the last suggestion was change the filter, even though they said that they had never had a filter fail. I changed the filter and BINGO, phone worked.

Nothing to lose by trying it.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Just a wild idea........Our Orange internet phone failed to work, the English speaking helpline guys tried everything but nothing worked, the last suggestion was change the filter, even though they said that they had never had a filter fail. I changed the filter and BINGO, phone worked. Nothing to lose by trying it.[/quote]

It's not totally unheard of but it is quite rare, its happened to me a couple of years back. It can (but not always) be cause by a lightening strike or similar but not always near you if your cable is long.

Thanks Guys, everything is worth a try

Did live chat over the internet with Orange, reset the box, changed the filters even tried the spare phone still giving the engaged signal. Looks like its something else in the livebox. Will have to put my flak jacket on and try Orange in Bezier as its quicker than waiting for an engineer and risk the wrath of the pesky little madam who works in Orange and pray its the really helpful guy working tomorrow morning!

Seems the username and password for everyones livebox is admin and admin even though I also have about half a dozen username and passwords

[quote user="Babbles"]Sorry to drag this back to the top, a similar problem has happened ,

192.168.1.1 I have typed this in and it is saying that the internet phone is Désactivé , how do I re set this without wiping the whole box by pushing the nib of a pen in as I had real problems last time I did that as I don't seem to have all the passwords to reactivate it. I've tried rebooting the live box by the button on the box and unplugging it.

Grr this is very frustrating!!!!![/quote]

go into the configuration pages again - click here http://192.168.1.1/

enter 'admin' and 'admin' as the indentifiant and mot de passe.

You have not specified exactly which model of livebox you have but the procedure is similar with all of them except the latest model.

On the téléphonie par ADSL part line ( or possibly 'téléphone en haut débit') which says 'desactivé', click on 'modifier' to change this.

choose 'activer' and then click on 'sauver' or 'enregistrer' (or click OK in the little window which may come up) to save the changes.

If this does not help, you will need to do a factory reset again and for this you will need the two codes which you will find on your original letter from Orange.

Identifiant de connexion = fti/*******

mot de passe de connexion = 7 letters or numbers

Without these you cannot re-establish your internet connection again following a reset.

If the reset does not restore your telephone service, you need to contact Orange again. It may be that your livebox is no longer so alive. If you livebox is rented, you can now swap it free of charge for the new livebox 2 model. This may help...

You can simply take your old rented livebox in to an Orange shop and they will exchange it. You will of course need your two codes to set up the connection with the new box.

http://assistance.orange.fr/echanger-votre-livebox-812.php

Danny

[quote user="Babbles"]Thanks Guys, everything is worth a try

Did live chat over the internet with Orange, reset the box, changed the filters even tried the spare phone still giving the engaged signal. Looks like its something else in the livebox. Will have to put my flak jacket on and try Orange in Bezier as its quicker than waiting for an engineer and risk the wrath of the pesky little madam who works in Orange and pray its the really helpful guy working tomorrow morning!

Seems the username and password for everyones livebox is admin and admin even though I also have about half a dozen username and passwords[/quote]

To access the livebox configuration pages, the default user and password is 'admin' and 'admin' but you are advised in any case to change the password to avoid anyone else changing settings - especially if you have open wifi connections.

Danny

I don't know how technical you are Babbles so I will keep this simple.

There are three types of login and passwords. One is to make a physical connection to the Internet, another is to login in to your LiveBox via a browser using the name Admin plus a password (admin by default) the finally the login and passwords you use to access your emails. All these are different from each other.

When you get your LiveBox and connect it for the first time the phone option withing the LiveBox will be set to Désactivé and once Orange have done their bit at their end for your phone it will automatically change to Active. You can 'force' it On and Off as Danny explained but its something that unless you understand best left alone and normally users never touch it as they don't have a need.

Getting a LiveBox fixed. The only time an engineer will come out is if there is a line problem. If you rent your box then it is a 'return to base' repair system in that you must take it to an Orange shop and they will give you a new one. (If you decided to buy your box and it fails outside the warranty period you will have to buy a replacement.) To enable you to do this you will need a 'returns number'. To get a 'returns number' you (normally because I don't know of any other way)  have to call the help-desk be it French or English as the 'Returns Number' is created by the help desk and allocated to the support call. You cannot simply take it to the shop claiming it is faulty (even if the Live Chat person told you it was) without a 'returns number', they will refuse to exchange it. If you have to call the support number via a mobile you can ask them to call you back and they will.

Both the French and English support desks are quite happy dealing with people of low technical knowledge on this subject so there is no need to worry. They can also view your LiveBox remotely (irregardless of any password changes you have made to it) and look for themselves although they can't change anything but if they need something changed they will talk you through it whilst watching remotely.

Good luck.

Quillan,

your comments about repair notwithstanding, note that all previous model rented liveboxes can now be exchanged free of charge for the latest mobel livebox 2 by taking it in to an Orange shop if practical.

See link http://assistance.orange.fr/echanger-votre-livebox-812.php

For anyone concerned by this, do not forget to take all the cables and filters etc along with the old box.

Danny

We exchanged our live box for the latest type some two weeks ago (with a SAVI number as the old one was considered ''possibly'' faulty ) they only required the box and the power supply, all the other bits we kept without problem, but they do not give you a resupply of the other bits - unless, like me you 'persuade' them to.

[quote user="Quillan"]They can also view your LiveBox remotely (irregardless of any password changes you have made to it) and look for themselves although they can't change anything but if they need something changed they will talk you through it whilst watching remotely.[/quote]You'd think then if they saw an attenuation of 43.7 dB and not the 59.86dB their database says they could report it somewhere and have something done about it !

We've had this rented not so Livebox for a couple of years, its the mini one which looks like a book. This isn't the first time its gone belly up but it is when the wifi works but the VOIP phone doesn't. Normally my iphone picks up both wifi signals for both the voip phone and the normal livebox but at the moment it only picks up the normal wifi.

http://192.168.1.1/ when I click on this it doesn't give me the option to modify the ones indicate desactivé. Orange shop here I come

[quote user="Babbles"]Normally my iphone picks up both wifi signals for both the voip phone and the normal livebox but at the moment it only picks up the normal wifi.[/quote]Sorry Babbles but I'm confused.

There is only one WiFi signal emanating from a Livebox and that is the one you use with your laptop or iPhone to access the Internet. You can access and modify this in the menu structure.

When you say your iPhone picks up a VoIP signal in addition to the WiFi do I presume that you have a WiFi VoIP phone ?

If that's a yes then if the WiFi is working for your laptop and iPhone then your problem is not with the Livebox but the VoIP phone.

[quote user="Babbles"]We've had this rented not so Livebox for a couple of years, its the mini one which looks like a book. This isn't the first time its gone belly up but it is when the wifi works but the VOIP phone doesn't. Normally my iphone picks up both wifi signals for both the voip phone and the normal livebox but at the moment it only picks up the normal wifi. http://192.168.1.1/ when I click on this it doesn't give me the option to modify the ones indicate desactivé. Orange shop here I come[/quote]

Babbles, reading this post and the one way back at the beginning of this thread could you do me a favour and tell me a little more about this phone you have so I can look it up on the Internet, manufacturer's name and model number should do? Could you also tell us what Orange plan you are on, perhaps simply telling us the monthly cost , if you don't mind, may also help? Its just that I have had a thought but I would prefer to do a bit of research before I say anything.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Babbles"]Normally my iphone picks up both wifi signals for both the voip phone and the normal livebox but at the moment it only picks up the normal wifi.[/quote]Sorry Babbles but I'm confused.
[/quote]

So am I which is why I asked for this information. We may be thinking along the same lines. [;-)]

we're on a package f around 30E a month.

The VOIP phone can be wireless, my understanding is that the VOIP phone uses a different IP address when connecting to the internet and thats why my iphone shows it as a wifi signal but you can't actually connect via it. The current phone is a Sagem D16T_FT ( thats what is printed underneath the charger) at the moment its hard wired in to the Live box with a filter, this has been the way it was set up and has worked for well over a year like this so I am assuming that it is set up correctly .