and can be tracked although it does require the tracking to be

activated (remotely by government agencies if need be)"

Not true.

"By the way my Zen 32gb mp3 player thing cost just over £50 (as opposed

to £170 for an Ipod with the same storage) and comes with a radio

transmitter so I can listen to it in the car but then so does my Nokia

phone. Also there is none of this security stuff on the Zen so I can

move music around at random from one machine to another."

Which model Zen 32gb can you buy for that price?

Security stuff?

Marcardis

[quote user="marcardis"]"I mean, since 9/11 (or shortly after) all phones have had GPS built in and can be tracked although it does require the tracking to be activated (remotely by government agencies if need be)"

Not true.

"By the way my Zen 32gb mp3 player thing cost just over £50 (as opposed to £170 for an Ipod with the same storage) and comes with a radio transmitter so I can listen to it in the car but then so does my Nokia phone. Also there is none of this security stuff on the Zen so I can move music around at random from one machine to another."

Which model Zen 32gb can you buy for that price?

Security stuff?

Marcardis
[/quote]

Strange but there are loads of sites that make programs for tracking mobiles using GPS but you have to turn it on. If you have a mobile phone that is about 10 years old or newer you can find out on their websites how to activate the GPS remotely. There are loads of websites for this so just google and pick one to find out, should be accurate to withing five to 100 metres depending on age of phone. There was a guy a couple of years back (Ben Goldacre) who used this to follow his girlfriend (with her permission) Using cells only you can only 'triangulate' down to a limited distance that is based on how big the cell is. Smaller cells in cities, much bigger ones outside cities. The system, like the biometric passports, was instigated by the US after 9/11.

As to the model of Zen well its about five years old, white, got Zen written on it and Creative Lab's written on the back, as to the exact model it does not say. It came with a charger, earphone and a little box that plugs in to it to connect to an FM radio. Sorry but I can't do much better than that.

In terms of tracking I think there may be some confusion here between GPS and mobile phone technology.

GPS is based purely on reception of the orbiting satellites and as there is no feedback there is no way to track a GPS device. Think of the sat nav in your car for instance, nobody can track you with that.

Tracking a mobile phone on the other hand relies on triangulation between the land based cells it may be communicating with at any given moment so as long as you have, or have recently had, reception your location can be roughly determined.

It's quite possible that a genuinely GPS capable mobile phone internally could combine GPS positioning and triangulation to give a more accurate fix but to report it it still has to use the land based cells.

[quote user="marcardis"]"I mean, since 9/11 (or shortly after) all phones have had GPS built in and can be tracked although it does require the tracking to be activated (remotely by government agencies if need be)"

Not true.[/quote]

Very true I'm afraid, at least where the USA is concerned, and that's been the case since the end of 2005 where all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]Very true I'm afraid, at least where the USA is concerned, and that's been the case since the end of 2005 where all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less.[/quote]Whether it's true or not I repeat location is NOT by GPS.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Salty Sam"]Very true I'm afraid, at least where the USA is concerned, and that's been the case since the end of 2005 where all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less.[/quote]Whether it's true or not I repeat location is NOT by GPS.
[/quote]

Curious!how does this http://www.themobiletracker.com/french/index.html use GPS?

10 metres impressive.

[quote user="AnOther"]In terms of tracking I think there may be some confusion here between GPS and mobile phone technology.

GPS is based purely on reception of the orbiting satellites and as there is no feedback there is no way to track a GPS device. Think of the sat nav in your car for instance, nobody can track you with that.

Tracking a mobile phone on the other hand relies on triangulation between the land based cells it may be communicating with at any given moment so as long as you have, or have recently had, reception your location can be roughly determined.

It's quite possible that a genuinely GPS capable mobile phone internally could combine GPS positioning and triangulation to give a more accurate fix but to report it it still has to use the land based cells.
[/quote]

Technology is changing with top of the range SatNav units now containing a sim card, which enable both Tx & Rx so theoretically, tracking is possible.

On the question of Apple collecting location information from iPhone / iPad users, you may wish to visit the following page;

http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/ 

Lots of misinformation!

"Very true I'm afraid, at least where the USA is concerned, and that's

been the case since the end of 2005 where all cell phone carriers were

required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location

within 100 meters or less."

FCC regulations required that from the end of 2005 locations could be tracked on 911 emergency calls - not on all calls.

"Whether it's true or not I repeat location is NOT by GPS."

As AnOther rightly states the technology used above is nothing to do with the phone GPS technology for navigation, etc.

"Curious!how does this http://www.themobiletracker.com/french/index.html use GPS?

10 metres impressive."

Did you believe this?!

"Technology is changing with top of the range SatNav units now

containing a sim card, which enable both Tx & Rx so theoretically,

tracking is possible.

On the question of Apple collecting location information from iPhone / iPad users, you may wish to visit the following page;

http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/ "

How surprising - Warden was behind all the Guardian article that started all this nonsense - good publicity. If you read the article it states that the data is only shared between the device and the PC that it is synced with.

This thread has certainly drifted away from the original question and sadly Cooperlola has not come back to explain why iTunes is so 'truly dreadful' or what file formats it will not play!

Marcardis

Did you believe this?!

Look matey! I'm an ignorant git, without a mobile, who lives in a "black hole" with ZERO network availability.

You are the expert with an implied duty to guide lesser technologically endowed fools. Are you trying to rubbish the Beta Programme?

Can it only resolve perhaps to 11 metres.

Whilst the upcoming generation of smartphones may be GPS enabled to

suggest that all or any phones manufactured since 1995 is fanciful.

How many manufactures could or would have resisted headlining that as selling feature if they were ?

As for Coops slating of iTunes I concur. The process of 'synchronising' is total nonsense and anathema to those of us who have hitherto enjoyed the simplicity of drag-n-drop.

[quote user="marcardis"]Lots of misinformation! Really?

"Very true I'm afraid, at least where the USA is concerned, and that's been the case since the end of 2005 where all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less."

FCC regulations required that from the end of 2005 locations could be tracked on 911 emergency calls - not on all calls.
I don't recall making any claim the system was for "all calls"! Hardly "misinformation"!
"Whether it's true or not I repeat location is NOT by GPS."

As AnOther rightly states the technology used above is nothing to do with the phone GPS technology for navigation, etc.
Don't think I said anything to the contrary! "Misinformation" ??????
"Curious!how does this http://www.themobiletracker.com/french/index.html use GPS?

10 metres impressive."

Did you believe this?! No, I estimated it to be approximately 8 metres!

"Technology is changing with top of the range SatNav units now containing a sim card, which enable both Tx & Rx so theoretically, tracking is possible.

http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/ "

How surprising - Warden was behind all the Guardian article that started all this nonsense - good publicity. If you read the article it states that the data is only shared between the device and the PC that it is synced with.

Yes I did read the article! The link to the page was submitted for others to read and make up their own mind. "Misinformation"???????

This thread has certainly drifted away from the original question and sadly Cooperlola has not come back to explain why iTunes is so 'truly dreadful' or what file formats it will not play!

Marcardis

[/quote]

The WSJ draws attention to similar Android data collection.

Apple gathers the data to help build a "database with known location information," the letter says. "This information is batched and then encrypted and transmitted to Apple over a Wi-Fi Internet connection every twelve hours (or later if the device does not have Wi-Fi Internet access at that time)," the company wrote in the July letter to Congress.

The letter, which is available on Rep. Markey's website, became newsworthy this week in light of findings from two researchers who uncovered a file on iPhones that keeps a record of where the phone has been and when it was there. The file is unencrypted and stored by default

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703983704576277101723453610.html#ixzz1KIOpDLdk

Microsoft of course have been tracking every Windows users web activity since the days of Windows 95 with their hidden and undeletable (at least by conventional means) index.dat files. Give me access to your PC and I'll not only tell you every website site you have ever visited since the first time you switched your machine on but also your Google or other search engine searches, items viewed on eBay, and more. For all we know Microsoft might be routinely harvesting users index.dat files during automatic updates, I have no doubt whatsoever that the ability exists.

Big Brother IS watching you and has been doing so for quite a long time [blink]

[quote user="Alpinemist"]

Virginia - I have been told that you can't download itunes music or movies direct onto the ipad.

Also can you watch You Tube on it?[/quote]

Not true.

I have done all of the above on my iPad and there is a YouTube app for direct access without using the browser.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

No point in a link, as only a minuscule minority have viewing rights.[:D]

[/quote]You've said this before but "subscriptions" to FT on-line are free so I don't know why.  It's one of the best sources of news on-line that I know of and well worth filling in their little form (that's all it takes, no money changes hands) to have, imho.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="pachapapa"]

No point in a link, as only a minuscule minority have viewing rights.[:D]

[/quote]You've said this before but "subscriptions" to FT on-line are free so I don't know why.  It's one of the best sources of news on-line that I know of and well worth filling in their little form (that's all it takes, no money changes hands) to have, imho.[/quote]

I subscribed but there is a  limit to the FREE subscription to consult articles; hence my repetitive remarks.[:)]

EDIT to clarify that the free consultation service to an article on the FT on-line website is concerned and not the digital version of the newspaper.

This limitation can be subverted or assuaged by, I believe, by using the German FT website.[I]

[quote user="cooperlola"]There's an article limit(10 per issue) but I'm still not being asked for money after 4 years.[/quote]

I subscribed to informative e-mails which still arrive but if I click on a link THEY WANT REAL MONEY.!

Maybe 4 years ago the rules were different....something like Spotify. 

It seems there are problems with supply of the IPad 2. Apple claim it's not producing enough to meet demand which is technically very true. However it would seem many manufactures of computers are having problems according to Computer Weekly, this is due in part to recent events in Japan and damaged production facilities for chips and other parts. I believe this has also effected car production and that both Nissan and Toyota in the UK are now working a part week due to lack of parts. This is rather different than Apple 'suggesting' that's it's due to the IPad being incredibly successful that they can't produce enough, wishful thinking perhaps, but then I have no idea how many units they have shipped so far compared to PC's, Laptops and other tablet devices.

Took me all of 15 seconds to get the following:

FT.com articles are only available to registered users and subscribers.

Already registered?

Click here >

For me the 10 articles lasts for 30 days, then bang a pair of size 11 boots in the wallah-wallah.[:-))]