Can anyone help please - I'm having real problems accessing this site from both this PC and my lap top. Its incredibly slow to load, if it loads at all.

I've run a virus scan (AVG) cleared the cache (though I retained passwords etc) and tried system restore, but there is no improvement.

No problems with other sites, and trying Firefox didn't help - I'm on IE 8.

TIA

Hi RH, have you tried pressing ctrl alt del, just once to bring up task manager and click on performance to see what your machine is doing and what processes your running? maybe worth doing an online broadband speed test too to see roughly what speed your getting.

I did that but I don't know what I'm looking for - it says I have 43 processes running ? Then there are two graph type boxes and 4 blocks of numbers.....

Does 1.7 Mb sound right ? Or 1576 Kbps ?  I used a couple of online checkers - is there another way ? (I'm sure I used to know how to do this [Www])

RH, if it's any consolation I had exactly the same experience yesterday. In fact I had tried to edit a post but got timed out on each attempt (http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2554119/ShowPost.aspx). However, going via my work server, usually a recipe for slow connections, was OK.

All seems good this morning though.

Its a little better, in so far as I got into the site quite quickly, but navigating between posts is still fairly painful.

What mystifies me is the fact that the lap top was just the same... same wifi but different set up. I have XP, lap top is Vista, I have AVG, laptop is Norton etc......

I'm at a loss as to what else I can do.....

Going back many years to when I was involved with ISPs and site admin, it could possibly be a matter of routing. Different ISPs, and different sites, tend to be routed along different 'backbones'. So it is quite possible for one user to have speed or access problems and another, in a different location, to find everything is fine. Similarly, the user can have difficulties with certain sites and not with others. I found that CF was not the only slow site yesterday - ebay would only load part of the pages before timing out - but others were OK. For what it is worth I was using Windows 7, using both Firefox and IE8, with Norton, on a fairly new laptop, so there shouldn't be a hardware/software issue. Because it worked OK on the work server - many miles distant and using a different 'backbone' - I think this could well have been the problem.

Wow - second that - get rid of Norton ! Has screwed up every PC / Laptop I've had!

If you're using an up-to-date version of Internet Explorer as your browser - make sure you're viewing the Forum in 'Compatibility View' (tab by the input bar). The Complete France site was obviously designed for older version browsers! The only way I can edit or quote posts, without loads of mess on the screen, is to use compatibility view.....

Simon :-)

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"]Wow - second that - get rid of Norton ! Has screwed up every PC / Laptop I've had![/quote]

Yes I agree, more trouble than what it is worth[:@]

If I remember, it isn't that easy to get rid of. Doing an uninstall appears to do the job - but dosn't in reality, and you need to download the 'Norton Removal Tool'.

[url]http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US[/url]

At admins sugestion I restarted my wifi connection having first logged out. For the moment it seems fine...very odd.

The laptop is my daughters and she tells me its not Norton, but McAfee, some deal with her bank I think.......

Thanks for all your help, folks