[quote user="cherrypie"]I only have freeview so does this mean I cannot watch HD programs???[/quote]

Do I infer, then, from original post, that you are contemplating getting a Sky+ box?

Be careful. Be very careful.

If I remember correctly, at least for the first year the box needs to be connected to a UK telephone, your subscription needs to be paid from a UK source, and any telephone call you may make may be monitored to ascertain its source. Should you fail to satisfy Sky that you are anything but a bona fide UK customer they will close down your box.

Sky's agreement with programme suppliers only permits it to show copyright material to UK viewers. Sky - to protect itself - will not willingly allow people outside its own franchise area to view its programmes.

However, by attempting to watch Sky programmes outside Sky's franchise area you are not committing any offence - plenty of people do it - but you have broken your agreement with Sky, hence it will terminate its service to you. If you want to watch HD programmes in France, buy a freesat HD box from Argos (most people rate Humax).

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

[quote user="cherrypie"]I only have freeview so does this mean I cannot watch HD programs???[/quote]

Do I infer, then, from original post, that you are contemplating getting a Sky+ box?

Be careful. Be very careful.  I do wholeheatedly agree

If I remember correctly, at least for the first year the box needs to be connected to a UK telephone, mine isn't so there are ways around this but they will cost money your subscription needs to be paid from a UK source not true, and any telephone call you may make may be monitored to ascertain its source absolutely correct. Should you fail to satisfy Sky that you are anything but a bona fide UK customer they will close down your box as you make clear below they have no real choice if they wish to continue to buy the regional distribution righs from the producing companies.

Sky's agreement with programme suppliers only permits it to show copyright material to UK viewers. Sky - to protect itself - will not willingly allow people outside its own franchise area to view its programmes.

However, by attempting to watch Sky programmes outside Sky's franchise area you are not committing any offence - plenty of people do it - but you have broken your agreement with Sky, hence it will terminate its service to you. If you want to watch HD programmes in France, buy a freesat HD box from Argos (most people rate Humax).

[/quote]

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

Be careful. Be very careful.

If I remember correctly, at least for the first year the box needs to be connected to a UK telephone, your subscription needs to be paid from a UK source, and any telephone call you may make may be monitored to ascertain its source. Should you fail to satisfy Sky that you are anything but a bona fide UK customer they will close down your box.

[/quote]

If you cast your mind back, oh it must be three years now, Sky, with the aid of the local police in Spain raided several places, confiscated the equipment and took 'civil' proceedings against all those involved resulting in massive fines. In truth this was because it was places like bars etc and it is very unlikely that they will come knocking on your door, well about a likely as you finding rocking horse manure outside your front door.

I wanted rid of Sky and told them I was in New Zealand - they didn't seem too bright and said I was breaking my T&C's and that they would disconnect me.

Two weeks later with Sky still infesting my livingroom I rang them. The pleasant girly said "Oh- that's unusual we don't do many disconnections for being out of UK". So I asked in her experience how many had been terminated and she told me that in 5 years of working for Sky this was only the second case she knew of.

I said but there must be tens of thousands illegally using Sky in Europe, she said they had no knowledge of this?????

They are only too happy to take money but occasionally would seem to like to show that they police their service.

Two days later most of Sky disappeared but we still get some channels.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Clarkkent"]

[/quote]

If you cast your mind back, oh it must be three years now, Sky, with the aid of the local police in Spain raided several places, confiscated the equipment and took 'civil' proceedings against all those involved resulting in massive fines. In truth this was because it was places like bars etc and it is very unlikely that they will come knocking on your door, well about a likely as you finding rocking horse manure outside your front door.

[/quote]

Watching a programme in the privacy of your own home and inviting the general public into commercial premises to watch the same programme are two different activities. I believe that Sky require pub landlords in the United Kingdom to purchase a special licence when they show programmes in their bars.

It would be interesting to know whether we are helping the OP with these responses. My initial reaction to his or her original post was that it was a question about the technical feasibility of receiving broadcasts outside the British Isles, but the comments about Freeview/Freesat made me wonder if it was really a question about obtaining a Sky+ box.

yes it is the technical feasability of receiving broadcasts I have an address in UK but stay in French property for most of the summer but do not pay for a sky package and would like to set up a sky + box whilst here but seemed to get a lot of advice about the legal side of it .........

I think you need to ask yourself what you want from a Sky+ box which you couldn't get from a Freesat receiver with hard-drive like the Humax or equivalent (my Panasonic does all that Sky plus does (for no fee) - just as the Humax appears to - except get the paid-for channels.) 

Cherrypie

I have both a sky+ box and a humax and I have to agree with Cooperlola.  The Humax will give you everything you want except the Sky subscription channels (movies, sport, etc).  If it is Just the BBC and ITV options you need the Humax is the one to go for.

Regarding the legal situation:

No one ever asks when you buy a Humax where or how you intend to use it.  There can therefore only be at the very worst an implied misuse of the unit if you set it up in France.  And there would be no one to chace you.

For a Sky+ box you will sign an agreement (at least you will if you get it from them directly) that states thate the box is only to be used in the UK and Eire.  If you take the box to France and set it up you break this commercial agreement.   You are therefore in commercial default not criminal default.  In practice the worst that will happen as a private user, is that SKY will cut you off.  End of story.   

As a private user you have made no commercial gain from the use of the box and SKY would not chace you.  You will certainly not be spending any time at HM or PNS's pleasure. 

And if you still feel uncomfortable, the EU DGIV are still investiagting into how far such regional restrictions on broadcasting might be in brach of ntheir nlaws.