To assume I didn't need a phone line isn't that stupid. where we lived previously we had a modum plugged into the mains then a linksys and that was that. Wireless Internet you could take anywhere.

Anyways back to my problem. Danny etc where am i going wrong. We now have internet and phone service. The phone guy came out and activated a phone line that was in the garage but had never been used before.

So now we just don't have TV. I have the yellow cable from Decoder into yellow socket on the Livebox. Bought a new cable going from sat dish to a new wall socket and then into decoder. Both type F connectors (screw ones) and a HDMI cable going from decoder to HDMI plug 1 on the TV. All as per the instruction manual.

Checked all connections and they seem good. Sat dish is at least 8 years old, hasn't been used in 6 years but was working then.

What trouble shooting can I do?

Many thanks, please be kind I have spent many hours on this and have missed all Le Tour which I love.

Couple of things with the Orange decoder.

Firstly it won't even scan for any channels if the connection to the LiveBox is wrong. You will get a message telling you to connect the LiveBox almost straight away when you power it up. The other thing you need to do in the setup (on the decoder) is to ensure that you have selected the right satellite that the dish is pointing at. If it scans and picks up nothing it could either be the dish is pointing the wrong way, has an analog head or the decoder has the wrong satellite selected. The following link will help you select one of the three satellites, show you what channels are available and how to point the dish. Also the old dish may be for an analog receiver and not digital. You can get something like 90 Euros towards having the dish properly installed and aligned if it's the first installation, sometimes you can 'blag' your installer to fill in the paperwork if you already have a dish but it's the wrong one.

http://assistance.orange.fr/installer-et-orienter-votre-antenne-satellite-3640.php

Alpinist,

it could be one or more of many things.....

The actual dish is unlikely to be faulty. It is just a dish.

I would suspect a faulty LNB or more simply just a badly aligned dish

If you have never done dish alignment before, it is one of those things which seem impossible until you have done it a few times. Then it seems fairly easy. Once you find a sat (you have to know which one you have found!) the you need to tweak/make fine adjustment for the maximum signal strength, - left right, up down and the twist of the LNB in its holder.

A new universal LNB (10 euros ish) may be useful if you still cannot get anything.

Danny

PS You have selected the HDMI 1 input on your TV, haven't you!!!

Thanks Quillan

I just called Orange helpline but was told they don't deal with satellite, only internet and phone so we have to call a TV technician. Strange we bought the package from Orange but they can't send a tech to install a new dish.

I have no objection to paying to get things going.

I think the dish is probably the wrong one.

Use the link below to find an Orange approved installer in your area, just tap in your post code.

http://assistance.orange.fr/liste-des-installateurs-antennistes-pour-la-tv-d-orange-associant-adsl-et-satellite-3011.php

I expect Danny will know but I can't find the bit about reclaiming part of the installation cost back, it used to be something like 90 Euros but it may have gone up to 110 Euros, I'm not sure. Personally I just can't align the dish myself however much I try even with one of these box's you plug in to the LNB so I paid for a local guy from the electrical/TV shop about 60 Euros to come and do it. Last time he fitted a new LNB for about 20 Euros extra as well as the old one was duff.

Thanks

On a slightly different note, the Orange website says that the Livebox Star package is 20 meg for internet.

This seems very small. How much internet useage is this in real terms as my Uk dongle was 2G per month.

Is this enough to just leave the internet on during the day?

What happens when you go over your limit?

Just to clarify/expand on what BJSLIV says,

With your package, you have two means of connecting to the internet.

1 - the ADSL connection via the phone line

2 - the dongle connection via the mobile phone network

The internet connection via the livebox is unlimited, you leave the livebox on all the time for any internet access and calls via the telephone plugged in to the livebox.

This is what you should use for all internet usage at home for all your computers.

On the other hand, the internet connection using the dongle is not unlimited and you will use up your allowance very quickly. You can top it up for more downloads but it is expensive.

So do not use the dongle if you are at home. It is meant for limited occasional use elsewhere.

Danny