Playing With My Virtual Memory

Oh dear, I have been playing with my virtual memory on my desktop, due to my computer running very slowly, and switched virtual memory from programs to cache I think it was called, rebooted my computer, and now I am unable to get my computer to boot-up, with it saying something like my resources are too low.

Now apart from somebody telling me not to fiddle with the advanced settings on my computer, has anybody any idea how I may be able to get my computer to boot-up, so that I can switch my virtual memory usage back to programs.[8-)]

Switch the computer on and immediately start 'jabbing' the F8 key. There are slightly different menus that will appear depending on which version of windows you have but they will all give the ability to continue in 'Safe Mode'. Then go back and change the settings, selecting automatic mode is best. It sounds to me like you may need some more memory. There are several memory sellers that allow you to download a program to examine your memory, tell you what you have already got and what you need as not all memory is the same. Good luck.

Many thanks for that Quillan. I tried 3 or 4 times to boot in safe mode, but only 3 icons out of about 40 were coming up on my desktop. I then booted the computer in safe mode with the original XP disc in the drive, the computer booted up correctly in safe mode with everything booting as it should. I quickly went into control panels and switched my virtual memory back to programs. I promise not to play with my virtual memory ever again!

I think you are right about needing more memory, the computer only has 512mb, and is about 5 or 6 years old, so I maybe looking into replacing it with a newer model. The DVD drive will not burn any DVDs, only play them, so maybe its time to replace it.

Age itself is not necessarily a problem, although at 5-6 years I'd be getting concerned about the HD giving up the ghost, but 512kb was never enough memory for Windows 98 let alone XP. 1gb is the absolute minimum but more is to be preferred.

Regarding virtual memory, you need at least 2gb of RAM to be able to do away with it.

I think you are right ANO I must not be ageist when it comes to computers, and I think I will go down the road of increasing my RAM as suggested by Quillan, rather than forking out on a new tower. After a quick search on the internet, the basic ones seem to start from around 300 pounds. Looking at the Crucial website, I can purchase 2 Gb of RAM for €28.69, and having watched the video how to install the new memory it looks sooooooooooo easy!

I take onboard what you say about the HD, although I have fitted a new HD before, not on this computer but on a previous one, and got things to work eventually.