Fed up with Orange!

There's a riot in the village following a breakdown with the Orange server, and the technical assistance people telling everybody that the fault lay in their PC, not in the Resau Orange.

Can anyone recommend a GOOD ISP, preferably with an English speaking Help Desk?

Nooooooooooooo not Teleconnect (spit) please !!!

Their head of marketing, one M Jose Cabellero, is down on record as telling disgruntled customers 'if you don't like it then pi55 off', my choice of actual words but what he effectively said all the same.

You can read all about them here http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/25/1652620/ShowPost.aspx#1652620 but be warned, you'll lose the will to live before you've finished.

If you were happy with Orange before and the problem is fixed don't jump simply out of anger or to try teach them a lesson.

Teleconnect have changed.  They have emerged from that terrible patch.  I would recommend them again now.  They even answer their customer service line now and are very helpful.  They are more like they used to be.

To the OP, Teleconnect are an English speaking service.  They had a ghastly blip, when they let down many customers very badly, including me.  But I stuck with them and I am pleased that I did.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Jay"]I endorse that - excellent service.

[/quote]Was a time I said the same !

[/quote]

Yeah, I remeber it well, very long time ago. To be honest I don't care what anyone else decides to do. I've been with Teleconnect a long time now and they sorted my FT line for me after months of getting nowhere with FT themselves. Their 2 hours free calls are via the FT line and not Voip, other calls are cheap. I have decent speed, a UK  number for friends/business and the package price is reasonable. I am happy with them, what more can you ask?

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="pachapapa"]Is that the shower that charge € 16 per month so you dont have FT?[/quote]

Have a look at their website. It's in English but I'm sure you will be able to understand it.
[/quote]

Just looked and following result.

• What is LINE RENTAL?
  • It’s your Telephone Line Rental with Teleconnect: no more struggling with France Telecom and receive just one bill in plain English. Technically your line is still connected to France Telecom premium network, but we look after you 100%. In this case all your calls including special numbers are billed by Teleconnect.

[:D]

Pure snake oil...seems they translate € 16 par mois into € 16 per month. WOW! now that really is kool.

"seems they translate € 16 par mois into € 16 per month."

Umm! Seems like a reasonable translation to me!

Not sure if the quoted Teleconnect prices include TVA - If not, it works out at €63.10/month for the same service that I get from FT/Orange for €68.46/month - not a great saving so I have to ask, is it worth the hassle?

[quote user="oliveau"]"seems they translate € 16 par mois into € 16 per month."

Umm! Seems like a reasonable translation to me!

Not sure if the quoted Teleconnect prices include TVA - If not, it works out at €63.10/month for the same service that I get from FT/Orange for €68.46/month - not a great saving so I have to ask, is it worth the hassle?[/quote]

Not if you are happy with Orange, your original post seemed to suggest this was not the case. The prices quoted on the Teleconnect website are inclusive.

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="oliveau"]"seems they translate € 16 par mois into € 16 per month." Umm! Seems like a reasonable translation to me! Not sure if the quoted Teleconnect prices include TVA - If not, it works out at €63.10/month for the same service that I get from FT/Orange for €68.46/month - not a great saving so I have to ask, is it worth the hassle?[/quote]

Not if you are happy with Orange, your original post seemed to suggest this was not the case. The prices quoted on the Teleconnect website are inclusive.
    [/quote]

Is the 7/7 free fixed line service to 103 destinations inclusive then? ( minor semantic expansion on earlier post, unanswered)

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="oliveau"]"seems they translate € 16 par mois into € 16 per month." Umm! Seems like a reasonable translation to me! Not sure if the quoted Teleconnect prices include TVA - If not, it works out at €63.10/month for the same service that I get from FT/Orange for €68.46/month - not a great saving so I have to ask, is it worth the hassle?[/quote]

[/quote]

Is the 7/7 free fixed line service to 103 destinations inclusive then? ( minor semantic expansion on earlier post, unanswered)

[/quote]

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. Never seen anything on their site which mentions 103 destinations. Prices and destinations for the "free" calls can be found HERE

Blimey you do pay a premium for being able to speak English, 68€ [:-))]

That is more than twice what I pay Free.fr for  unlimited free calls to 100+ destinations and tons of television channels, in fact if I paid a little more equating to half the above figure I would get unlimited free calls to French mobiles as well, although I have heard that unlimited does not actually mean that with Free or any of the operators.

I can see the advantage of the UK number though, however a friend has done this not sure how but I know it doesnt cost him anything.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Blimey you do pay a premium for being able to speak English, 68€ [:-))]

[/quote]

No idea where you get that figure from Chancer? The internet package is 29.90€ and I like my FT line seperate, had too much trouble in the past with VoiP.

[quote] I have decent speed, a UK  number for friends/business and the package price is reasonable. I am happy with them, what more can you ask?

[/quote]

The teleconnect UK2U SERVICE (which provides a UK number) is run over VOIP, but at €4.50/month it is very expensive. sipgate.co.uk, draytel.org and others will give you a Uk 0845 or a local UK number for free. 0845 is free for UK land line callers, whereas a local uk number would be included in the minutes of a uk mobile user. When these numbers are routed to a VOIP box/ phone in your house it costs nothing to receive the call- e.g UK call end to end = €0. If routed to a another french landline it would be around 1.7p/minute. Sipgate also provides a nice feature called phone forward/hunting that allows calling successive numbers for user-defined periods of time in turn until one picks up. In addition you can get smart phone apps such as SIP Acrobits that allows you to receive/make calls from your uk number, running over Wifi and 3G, although in the latter case you are likely breaking your mobile contract conditions.

We have set up a number of uk 0845 and local numbers with the above and the call quality is excellent. BTW If you wish you can even move your uk house phone number to one of these suppliers, so friends, family, clients don't even need to update their contact lists. Your uk phone will ring in simultaneously in france, in the uk, on your mobile or wherever it is forwarded to.

In response to earlier replies, this is how I got to €68:

Orange Internet access inc TVA = €29.46/month

FT line rental, voicemail, caller display etc. Includes free calls to France, UK, Canada & USA and TVA = €39/month.

All I pay for in addition is calls to mobiles.

Incidentally you can also get calls to UK landlines on Skype for a total annual fee of £44