"why do you prefer Firefox ?" life is too short !

Try it yourself but give it decent chance as it is differerent to IE and may take a little getting fully to grips with but if you do I'll almost guarantee you won't go back [;-)]

The add ons are some of the most compelling features.

[quote user="Loirette"]I've looked at V9 but that requires Windows V7[/quote]

I have IE9 and Vista on 2 laptops...

I don't want to turn this thread into a IE vs Firefox argument, but since you asked... I have been using FF for years now and I struggle when it comes to IE, as I hardly ever use it.

I prefer Firefox because I can tailor it with its add-ons to work as I want it to work.

I can remove adverts and hold Flash animations until I choose to play them; I have a multitude of tools available just at the right-click of the mouse; I can transfer my FF profile and settings from one computer to another in seconds...

I don't know if IE or Chrome do as much or more, but I am happy with FF and I see no reason to use another browser.

Clair, thanks for the info.  The only reason I asked is that I know nothing about Firefox.  I certainly wasn't looking to cause an argument.  I also should have said that I am still using Windows XP and not Vista, so I guess I am behind the times in all aspects.

Thanks for you comments anyway.

100% with Clair.

No evangelical arguments except to say that I find there are really only two types of people, Firefox users and those who haven't tried it yet [:D][:D][:D]

If XP does what you ask of your computer then stick with it, I still use it a lot but also have Windows 7.

[quote user="Loirette"]

Thanks pachapapa.  Which takes me back to my original posting asking if anyone is using IE8 and if they have experienced any problems.

[/quote]

IE8 has been available since 17/06/2009, I use it on a Netbook with XP as the Operating System, it presents no problems.

[quote user="AnOther"]

100% with Clair.

No evangelical arguments except to say that I find there are really only two types of people, Firefox users and those who haven't tried it yet [:D][:D][:D]

If XP does what you ask of your computer then stick with it, I still use it a lot but also have Windows 7.

[/quote]

Bah, There are those who run Linux, and those who haven't tried it yet  [:D][:D][:D]

I have windows 7 on this laptop, but almost never boot into it. Similar religious arguments apply to the FF/IE debate[:'(][:'(][:'(]

[quote user="oliveau"]IE8 with Vista: Takes up an awful lot of memory and slows everything down terribly if you are a bit low on RAM. I changed to Chrome and find it much better - and uses less memory. Have a look in Task Manager what IE8 is using![/quote]

Unfortunately watching rugby on a netbook with 1GB RAM, fairly normal configuration, so running XP not Vista.

BUT using Opera 11 I note that when running a simple streaming video on the BBC news website, the memory usage is hovering around 140 MB.

Is this normal, excessive, exceptional?

[quote user="tonyv"][quote user="AnOther"]

100% with Clair.

[/quote]

Bah, There are those who run Linux, and those who haven't tried it yet  [:D][:D][:D]

I have windows 7 on this laptop, but almost never boot into it. Similar religious arguments apply to the FF/IE debate[:'(][:'(][:'(]
[/quote]I have tried Linux but switched back to Windows because so many of my programs would not run on it. Using Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 on a variety of computers. It just depends on what was installed when I bought them.

To answer the OPs question I have had no problems with IE8 or IE9. I have had problems with Chrome when replying to messages on this forum using Quote which then behaves like IE without the compatability mode set.