SFR Neufbox - internet, wifi but no phone line!

Well my french friend came up today and checked all my connections. She then spent nearly two hours on the phone to SFR and they think(!) perhaps it is a problem with the neufbox and are sending out another! So watch this space!

Suey

Suey,

Can you clarify some things for us please,
When you say "no phone line", are you now on ADSL Nu (No FT phone line rental at all) with SFR? if so, we presume you are trying to use the VOIP calls i.e. phone plugged in to the phone socket on the SFR Neufbox. This will mean that you will have no normal phone line at all - if you plug the phone straight in to the wall socket, it will not work at all.

When you say "So I know that my siemens gigaset A240 works okay with a modem.", were you meaning that the phone worked OK directly in an FT wall socket or plugged in to the modem to use VOIP (internet) calls. I think I am right that the speedtouch modem - of which there are many kinds - does not have a socket for telephone.

Have you tried using another telephone? Apparently, your Siemens phone should be compatible to use with the Neufbox for the VOIP calls but it may eliminate a problem of a fault in the phone if you try another and it works. The same goes for the cable. Is it possible to try another?

If you have any other phone sockets in the house, can you try to attach the SFR Neufbox and in another socket? Can you also check your phone socket(s) for a condenser? ( Is that what it is called in English? I am forgetting things now!) instructions here: http://www.dslvalley.com/dossiers/condensateur/condensateur.php

If you find one, you can safely remove it - not forgetting to put the wires back exactly where they were before and make sure that the screws are adequately tightened to ensure a good contact. This may or may not help your situation but I am trying to eliminate possible causes in order to find out where the problem lies.

Danny

Previously I had a speedtouch which worked fine but had this offer for a new neufbox.  So I know that my siemens gigaset A240 works okay with a modem.

So previously you didn't have the free phone calls from Neuf offer, and made your calls the old fashioned way. I assume that you now have the offer (Nu) without an FT line , so you need to plug your phone into the back of the Neufbox. The wall sockets will no longer work.

I thought we had the same problem with our new Orange Livebox, but once the phone was plugged into the Livebox, not a wall socket, all was well.

However, still have a problem with wi-fi connection for our laptops, which is the subject of another post.

Previously had speedtouch modem, had a few problems with wifi dropping off. Had our calls through the modem, no problem. Have not had FT line for four years. Have just phoned a computer techy who is coming out on Tuesday to have a look for me. It is just so frustrating that it was working and now it just won't.

Suey

In the meantime, you may find others with a similar problem on the Neuf Forum, [url=http://www.justneuf.com/index.php?s=a12770e40fbb2a2889bb0a7b2cc547f1&&&CODE=03&uid=42583&aid=353177404d62436f7994be60e284ed26]here[/url] (under Forum Téléphonie SFR). Sometimes a reply is posted by a representative of the SFR Corp. so it's worth inscribing and posting your own thread.

I've had help in this way in the past and it's saved me the cost of ringing the technical helpline.

After another hour with an independent technician, at my own cost. We discovered this message in my account. Telling me that I could be without a line for another 25 days:

"Votre commande est actuellement bloquée. Nos équipes sont averties de la situation et mettent tout en oeuvre pour corriger l'anomalie. Aucune démarche de votre part n'est nécessaire et nos équipes vous contacterons si besoin. Le traitement de votre commande va reprendre son cours normal et le problème n'occasionnera que quelques jours de retard. Nous vous invitons à consulter régulièrement cette page pour suivre l'avancement futur de votre commande.

L'opérateur historique nous signale qu'il ne reconnaît pas votre numéro de téléphone. A priori, cette erreur est causée par la résiliation récente de l'abonnement téléphonique sur votre ligne. Nos équipes ont entamé des démarches auprès de l'opérateur historique pour corriger le problème et effectuer l'opération demandée. La résolution du problème va prolonger le délai d'activation de 10 jours environ. A ce stade, aucune démarche de votre part n'est requise. Nous vous invitons à consulter régulièrement cette page pour suivre l'avancement de votre commande."

Le délai de mise en service de votre ligne est en moyenne de 25 jours.

What can I say!!!! My flabber is gasted!!

When it first arrives only the Internet access works. When I was eventually told it was working for the 'phone also, it didn't.

It took SFR 4 days to tell me about the Reset button.

It is on the left side near the top. You have to push in a ballpoint tip or similar.

Edit: Our Siemens AS285 Gigaset works fine, connected to the NB via the clumsy adapeter they provided.

You should not have anything plugged into the old sockets in the house.

By the time I received their letter the "tel" light on the box had come on, but the phone didn't work. I had to use various neighbours' phones to call them as they won't answer "technical" queries any other way (I only have a Spanish mobile phone, expensive to use here, and one has to stand in the street here to get reception anyway). One huge problem is they won't give out names, so one can never get the same person again, and one has to go through the entire history to date every time. I was told at various time over the next 4 days (when I actually got a half constructive response).  :-

1) My line wasn't connected yet.

2) Disconnect then reconnect it.

3) There was a "general" problem with the service in my area (probably untrue as the only general problem mentioned on their website was several hundred kms to the North)

4) There was a fault with my USB key - I tried a new one I bought - it made no difference.

5) Finally I had a quite long discussion with one of their technicians, who was obviously not in France (I'm told their base is in Morocco). He said I should connect the Neufbox to my "Prise Principale", which would be immediately next to my front door. When I said I didn't have one he said that FT had informed them that all installations had one. Mine doesn't; the installation is probably 20 years old at least.

I had already tried all his other suggestions and insisted they send a technician free of charge as advertised in their booklet (page 9 "La Pacte SFR"). He then suggested pushing the Reset button, which I simply hadn't noticed. End of story........

I realised all my fears of being without a telephone in the event of failure of either the Box or the 220v power supply had been realised, and wished I had kept the FT line. Also, our intrusion alarm system no longer worked without a "traditional" phone line, and I was facing a large bill to replace it with one using the mobile phone network, plus increased charges for rental and the daily calls the system makes.

I reckoned it to be worth 16€ a month, so I asked FT to reinstall the line. The cost of an additional line was not significantly more than this, so I now have a completely independent FT line for the alarm system and emergency calls.

From the letter they sent you it appears they have a problem with the line itself, which may be the reason nothing works.

Before I was told about the reset button I had given up on the Neufbox, and found that my old Tele2 Bewan ADSL modem worked (they didn't ask me to return it when they sent an Ethernet modem). If you stll have an ADSL modem maybe you can use that to check if the line works.

Edit: As soon as my SFR contract expires I'm going back to FT!

[quote user="nomoss"]

Edit: As soon as my SFR contract expires I'm going back to FT!

[/quote]

nomoss, all of SFR's current standard contracts are not for a fixed duration - you can cancel at any time.

From http://mkg.sfr.fr/docs/conditions/fis_resdsl.pdf

"Durée minimale d’engagement - Sans engagement de durée"

There is a standard 45 euro cancellation charge too... although this may be paid for by your next ISP.

Are you on a different contract somehow?

Danny

Danny, Thanks for that link. I thought I had to wait a year, had already made a note on the calendar.

I looked for but couldn't find their terms on the website. Over June I got sick of looking at it.

I now remember the "sans engagement" from the agreement I made online, but they didn't send any printed contract. I was already with SFR, having been transferred from Tele2 (and my email addresses wiped out) so maybe they didn't bother.

Now I know I can leave anytime I've looked at what FT (Orange) has to offer. At the moment they are the same price, but plus 3€ /month rental for the box, and 16€/month to keep the FT line. I'll chew it over for a bit, or until I have another problem.

The advantage for me is that FT/Orange have email access for problems, which I find easier than expaining by phone, and more productive than conversing online with Chloé or Lucie. They even get p****d off if you get too insistent! Just like some La Poste employees.

[quote user="nomoss"]

The advantage for me is that FT/Orange have email access for problems, which I find easier than expaining by phone, and more productive than conversing online with Chloé or Lucie.  

[/quote]

They also have FT shops who will help you, especially if you ask nicely. [;-)]

Sue [:)]

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I had exactly the same problem when SFR changed to Neuf and sent us a new Neuf box. Had the same run around, 25 day wait, long, expensive mobile calls to Neuf technicians to reset the box etc etc. They finally (after 3 trips into the SFR store in Morlaix) admitted to the very helpful girl in the store that their equipment in the exchange was not compatible with the new Neuf box and it would take a further 25 days to sort this!! Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!! Might be worth asking Neuf if this is a problem with the exchange equipment being incompatible with your Neuf box.

Anyway, it has now got itself sorted and has worked very well. We did also have lots of probs. with billing.....had us paying 2 lots of monthly fees as both a SFR customer AND a Neuf customer plus lots of charges for my FREE 3g key which I have NEVER used etc. So after 3 to 4 months of this, again, more trips to SFR in Morlaix, it has sorted itself out (thanks to Maeva at the SFR shop who speaks excellent English). My latest problem is that my wifes laptop fell over and after a re-install of Windows, won't accept the password needed to access the Neuf router, it says that the WEP key is the wrong length. HELP!!

Dick

Well it now says on the suivi de commande page that they started work on my problem on the 21st August and it could be a further 25 days from then!!!! Arrrrgh!! I have now been without a line since 27th July!! I am well and truly piddled off.

Suey