problems with orange / ligne secondaire

earlier this year i opened a line / internet on the residence secondaire package , the whole point of which was to activate and suspend as reqd.

now i want to suspend it for winter they tell me its not possible !

obviously its a mistake at their end , just wondered if anyone else has experienced this ???

There has been lots about this in previous posts. Basically - you can turn off the phone line but not the broadband. They are two different contracts. For ease - we turn off the phone but leave the broadband - ok so we have to pay the rental for the broadband, but is saves the hassle.

It does depend on what type of contract the broadband is, of course. If it is a 12 month minimum subscription, it is hardly a swindle to carry it on for at least 12 months. They do also offer broadband accounts which are possible to cancel at any time.

Danny

That's nothing!  When I was with FT, they charged me 3 whole months for broadband, BEFORE they were able to provide me with a phone line![+o(]

Did I get a refund for having no service?  Of course not, it's FT, and they don't allow you to forget it!

You need to write to FT and cancel your contrat Decouverte (which is what we have) and ask them to put your account on "accès libre" then when you go back to France you could ask them to change your accés libre into a contrat Découverte ! It depends how long you stay in France at any one time o course. Do you know if there is such a system in GB ?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

That's nothing!  When I was with FT, they charged me 3 whole months for broadband, BEFORE they were able to provide me with a phone line![+o(]

Did I get a refund for having no service?  Of course not, it's FT, and they don't allow you to forget it!

[/quote]

It does seem to be a strange part of the French psyche that some of the things they won't stand for, we Brits will just 'go with the flow' and other things which drive us to the edge of gibbering insanity, merely raise a Gallic shrug. The French will, for example, queue for twenty minutes, six-deep at the one-of-fifteen checkouts which is manned without batting an eyelid, but will blip and the rev the engine at you once they're in the car, because you deign to impede their Le Mans-style exit from the car park.

We are more sensitive, I find, to the injustices of paying for something which we don't get (vis. your FT/broadband). Maybe it's that they've had a life of being ground down by the system.

For example I am incandescent at having to pay 20 E/year to a department of the Mairie in a nearby town which oversees and regulates the installation of Fosses septiques. I had no problem with paying for the inspection when it was installed, nor would I object to paying for any subsequent inspections, but I do think they are having a laugh when I get a bill for 20E for every year the inspectors don't visit. 

"what exactly am I paying for?" I asked. 

"you are paying for us to be here." was the reply.

"What, there in the office?".

"Yes."

(cue the Gallic shrug)

p

I know how you feel! We have had the Découvert from Orange for the past couple of years, and it has worked well when we have suspended and restarted it. However, this time is turning into a nightmare. I have had to send two letters in October (both 'recommandé)to try to suspend the ADSL, and our neighbour in France has rung us this evening to say that our bill for November has come, so they have obviously ignored both letters. I will try speaking to the English Service again on Monday, but, other than that, I have no idea what to do next. Any suggestions (polite, please!) will be gratefully received.