Buying a new mobile

I have been chugging along quite happily with an old mobile phone using SFR top-ups without any abonnement.  But the mobile is almost falling apart and has no numbers/letters visible any more, so I need to buy a new one, into which I can put the old Sim.  I looked on LeBonCoin but they were all very expensive.  SFR seemingly only have new phones with a forfait attached (although I intend to go to the shop tomorrow).  The Leclerc website is very confusing but seems to require you to have a forfait also.

I only want to make phone calls, any other features are irrelevant.  Any pointers as to where I could pick up a cheap one?

Chrissie (81)

We just got a Samsung E1150 for about 25€ from Amazon.fr. They have a wide selection of 'désimlocké' phones - ie no forfait.

http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=t%E9l%E9phone+portable&sprefix=t%E9l%E9

Hope it works, otherwise just go to Amazon.fr -> téléphones portables.

@+

Andrew

Just out of interest, is it still the case that no-one now provides top-ups that do not expire?

I've seen a contract which is 2.5€ per month, with a provider that has had mixed reviews as a landline/ADSL provider from members of this forum (Budget). How does this compare with the offerings that people are actually using?

Pickles

[quote user="Jay"]Lebara top-up doesn't expire and there is no contract. Use it once every 90 days to keep it active and retain your balance. Been using mine since April, spent €20 on top-ups (including price of SIM) and have 12€ left to use.

[/quote]

I'll second that, but the sim is free from their website. I put it into a cheap Leclerc mobile when read about Lebera giving a much better deal than Leclerc.

I have looked at Amazon and Darty and will almost certainly buy something there.  I assume they come with chargers?......Why don't all chargers fit all phones?............

I alos like the look of the Lebara free Sim/top-upnas you need offer.  Am a bit confused - it seems to be an English company (Copthall avenue, know it well) but the offer was aimed at French residents......

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Bob T"][quote user="Jay"]Lebara top-up doesn't expire and there is no contract. Use it once every 90 days to keep it active and retain your balance. Been using mine since April, spent €20 on top-ups (including price of SIM) and have 12€ left to use.

[/quote]

I'll second that, but the sim is free from their website. I put it into a cheap Leclerc mobile when read about Lebera giving a much better deal than Leclerc.

[/quote]

Yeah, noticed it was free now. Cost a tenner when I got mine and they gave €7.50 top-up back.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

I got a new phone from Leclerc. It's unlocked -- I've used it with SIMs from 2 different companies -- and does all I want.

This is their cheapest offering and 'Fonctionne avec tous les opérateurs' means it's not locked.

http://www.leclercmobile.fr/mobiles/Alcatel_OT-213.html

[/quote]

I agree, they also have good offers in individual stores. In Limoux you can get a mobile for 39,99 which includes 25 Euros of calls. The nice thing is if you 'charge' it up they take some stupid amount like 1 Euro a month to keep the mobile number and you can re-charge it over the internet. Mrs Q has had one for over three years and all I have put 'on it' is 2 x 50 Euros and she still has a load of credit for calls. Works in Spain and the UK by the way.

• 2 months later...