New Land line, again!

I know this has probably been done to death on here but I have tried to use the search and searched this catagory and can't find any up to date info on what I need to do to get a new land line/internet in my house, the telegraph pole is on the opposite side of the road aprox, 10-12m away.

Can some tell me:

• Whom do I approach? FT English line (or is that now defunct)?

• Aprox, cost?

• Aprox time line for the installation?

• Is the Residence secondaire still availble for new clients?

Or could someone point me in the right direction to find out online.

Thank you

Ok, I know this site I have an Orange mobile internet dongle and use that site for my account. Thanks

I have just found out a few things but I'm still unsure how to go about it.

I now know that linge residence secondaire still exists and how much the tariffs are. I don't know how to actually order it and find out if I'm eligible for it, I really need to talk to someone in English about it, as I found out in my local Orange shop that they don't really do English, I only just managed to convey what I wanted when I got my dongle! Does the English speaking help line still operate? and if so is still this their number: 0800364775 ? if so I could try and call them tomorrow.

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

Ok, I know this site I have an Orange mobile internet dongle and use that site for my account. Thanks

I have just found out a few things but I'm still unsure how to go about it.

I now know that linge residence secondaire still exists and how much the tariffs are. I don't know how to actually order it and find out if I'm eligible for it, I really need to talk to someone in English about it, as I found out in my local Orange shop that they don't really do English, I only just managed to convey what I wanted when I got my dongle! Does the English speaking help line still operate? and if so is still this their number: 0800364775 ? if so I could try and call them tomorrow.

[/quote]

Yes it does and no it isn't. The number is in the FAQ's at the start of this section of the forum.

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

I know this has probably been done to death on here but I have tried to use the search and searched this catagory and can't find any up to date info on what I need to do to get a new land line/internet in my house, the telegraph pole is on the opposite side of the road aprox, 10-12m away.

Can some tell me:

• Whom do I approach? FT English line (or is that now defunct)?

• Aprox, cost?

• Aprox time line for the installation?

• Is the Residence secondaire still availble for new clients?

Or could someone point me in the right direction to find out online.

Thank you

[/quote]

You may find the cost prohibitive :-(

Is your house old or new?

A neighbour's builder here, with a new build maison secondaire, omitted to connect the phone line when routing the electric and water under the road (phone lines on opposite side of road).

France Telecom wanted in excess of 2000€ to lay the cable (apparently overhead lines are not permitted on new builds)

However, on my sister's 100 year+ house there was no problem and the overhead line was duly fitted :-)

We had a new telephone line installed and internet. We organised it at the Orange shop.... told them we wanted their internet deal, and would need a telephone line installed, as there was not one currently to the old farm we had bought. They set it all up on the computer and said they would contact France Telecom for a visit. Engineer duly arrived 2 weeks later, but said the overhead telephone cables only went to the crossroads opposite to the chemin we live on. France Telecom then had to check with Maire that the chemin was a public one, and then France Telecom had to agree to pay for the install as it is a public road (all overhead cables). We then decided to lay underground cable from the edge of the chemin to our house (our choice). We had to dig the trench and lay the green gaine for the cable at our own cost. All the rest of the cost was borne by France Telecom. It took 6 months from first request to final install, but the total cost to us was only 100e for gaine and 60e cost for France Telecom visit (we have our own JCB). We did need to keep going back to the Orange shop regularly though, to check on progress, as France Telecom weren't great at communicating why there were delays. It all seemed to be about budgets and internal sign-offs. Would have been much more difficult if we hadn't spoken french, as we had to explain the situation to new members of staff each time at the Orange shop - although they were all very helpful when they understood.

Well how easy was that! [:D] Well the first part anyway.

I used the phone number I got from the sticky post at the start of this section of the forum as directed by Quillan and got everything started and an appointment for the line in April, they offered Residence Secondaire as my best option and without me asking [:D]

This forum is a gem and I don't know what I would do without it sometimes

Thank you everyone, [kiss]

What would you do, well you'd get it done anyway. When in France you'd call at your Orange/FT office and keep banging on and never be put off your quest until someone helps you. Sometimes easier than others, but things always get done.

It is the same with everything, everything gets done even without the internet.

[quote user="idun"]

What would you do, well you'd get it done anyway. When in France you'd call at your Orange/FT office and keep banging on and never be put off your quest until someone helps you. Sometimes easier than others, but things always get done.

It is the same with everything, everything gets done even without the internet.

[/quote]

I like doing things the easy way, and asking people in the know is the easiest way.

Over the years I have spent hours helping out on queries if I felt I have something to add or offer my advice, it's so nice that I can also come here when I have a querie and receive the same helpful advice [:)]

[quote user="idun"]

and keep banging on and never be put off your quest until someone helps you. Sometimes easier than others, but things always get done.

[/quote]

Your's must be a very stressful life Idun.   [:D] Your response to the Trespass thread was revealing compared to the attitude of those living in the West. I didn't need to add my comments to Wooly's.

Do things the British way, with subtlety.

Stress, well yes, and we had no choice, what were we to do. Next to no french, no internet, no phone, and you soon learn you have to get down and dirty to get things done. The alternative was to become a burden and how easy would that have been, and we did have a little help, but why put on folks, I don't like that. And I had to catch up too, I wasn't going to be a burden to my husband either. He worked with french people and has the talent for language, but no way was I going to be asking him to sort everything out for me/us.

And because I did what I did, I know things about France and how things work that even my french friends are unaware of, so am a world of knowledge. So please don't knock getting a comprehensive french life education, if you were, it is a good thing. I could waltz into France again and I'd have no need to ask anyone anything at all, I could re-do it all just comme ça.

And I suppose that I was subtle at first, but that gets you no where at all especially with functionnaires and I am simply not having anyone giving me the run around, if I can help it, although the CNAV is at the moment.

And trespass. Well we were the only anglais in the village so most certainly the only ones in our little estate of five houses, and we just did what our neighbours did. So asking someone 'Scuse me, would you mind terribly moving on'...... does it work? Sounds like those english people needed telling straight as would any other nationality doing such things.

I can do subtle, it would depend on the circumstances and that is not one of them. We'll have to disagree about that. Now if I was 2m tall and built like a brick out house, maybe I would whisper, 'please  move your car', they would do it instantly and subtle would be the way to go. 

I must say I get the mickey taken out of me by friends a lot, but that is quite quite different. And I am softly spoken, lest you think I am a screaming banshee, I'm not, I'm not even a nag at home, I have no idea why anyone does that.