sky box goes into standby!!!!!!help

hi,

I video recorded a film which was about 2hrs 30 minutes from Itv  and a few minutes before the crunch ending a yellow message ccame on the screen stating "your sky box is about to go into standby" and a ninute later screen went blue!DARN IT!!

Any reason for this and solution please?sky box used with uk address but no problems like this in several years I have lived here.

If the box issued a warning it would suggest that it's not the typical electronic failure but rather some sort of auto standby? I haven't got a Skybox now but I seem to remember that there was an auto-standby function? Have you recorded programmes of this length sucessfully recently?

EDIT http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-sky/495178-auto-standby-sky-box.html

Now that's frustrating, had it happening a couple or so years ago after Sky did an update that put the box on auto standby if the channel hadn't been changed for a while. It could be that, so try going to the Services Menu then scroll down to 5 Autostandby, if it reads as on, then arrow right to turn it off & then down to save your setting.

The official line way back in March 2007.

"The new feature monitors whether people are using their Sky+ or Sky HD

box overnight between 11.00pm and 4.00am. If the box has not been used

for a period of two hours after 11.00pm, an ‘Auto Standby’ warning will

pop up on screen for three minutes. If there is no further use the box

will go into standby mode automatically"

What plonker thought that one up I wonder. I'll bet 99% of customers turned it off instantly.

I read the original post as meaning that he had been manually recording a programme which lasted longer than the standby period. If there has been no activity on the remote or box buttons it then switches into standby.

We could do with knowing whether auto-standby was in fact active on the service menu, but the fact that there was a warning message surely means it's "feature" rather than a failure. I notice that the OP hasn't been back to tell us. Thanks.

Absolutely brilliant feature; loads of films/golf etc last longer than two and a half hours. Just disable it!

I had JayJay's problem a couple of years back and ultimately swapped my PACE box for an Amstad one which didn't automatically turn this "feature" back on even after I disabled it!  The problem arises, as it did for Ab, when a programme over-runs and the box turns off before the thing's actually ended even  if have it on Autoview.  Similarly, if you're recording two or three programmes in a row and just expect the thing to remain on the same channel, it turns off after the first one, which doesn't happen if you leave the box on all the time. More4 on Thursdays has three detective dramas in a row, for example and you can put just the first on the auto view list, then leave your recorder (DVD /hard-drive/VHS, no matter which) to record all three automatically.

I know longer use my PACE box obviously, but it would be interesting to know if this was happening again to others.  And to hear from Ab again, as you say, Sid. 

• 4 weeks later...