Questions re satellite tv from orange and also using livebox etc.

Hi please help,

I am thinking of changing to Orange (ft) as I have had loads of problems with SFR and see their offer includes sat TV. Can anybody advise how the sattelite tv is set up. Is the tv sat decoder connected to the livebox in any way as they would be in different rooms? Is there both wifi and cable connections for the internet and does the internet phone work well.

Anyhelp greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

The TV decoder and Livebox are connected by Ethernet cable. See here.

The Livebox offers both wireless and wired connections.

The internet phone works well, but if the power fails or the internet goes down for some reason you will have no phone, so make sure you have a mobile for backup.

Note that if you already have a satellite dish set up for Sky or Freesat (Astra 2D) it will need moving in order to see the right satellites for the Orange TV.

if this helps, and you don't want to connect by ethernet cable, it is also possible to connect the decoder to the livebox by liveplug

http://assistance.orange.fr/installer-le-decodeur-tv-d-orange-associant-adsl-et-satellite-avec-les-liveplug-2015.php

http://assistance.orange.fr/utiliser-des-liveplug-pour-raccorder-votre-decodeur-tv-2534.php

cost 79,00 euros for two

http://boutique.orange.fr/ESHOP_mx_orange/?tp=F&ref=32048&IDCible=1&type=11

The rest is as Will says but you also have the choice of keeping your FT line if you want so that you still  have one ordinary phone line and number and one VOIP line and number with inclusive calls.

Orange TV is found on 3 satellites Astra1 19.0 E, Hotbird 13.0 E, Atlantic Bird 5.0W.

List of channels available here

http://assistance.orange.fr/liste-des-chaines-de-la-tv-d-orange-associant-adsl-avec-satellite-en-france-91.php

Danny

• 2 months later...
We had a  Livebox  for  a short  time,  but  got fed  up with  it...now we use a Netgear router and  connect  to the  interent  this  way...for  TV  we  use  linux based  box, called a Spiderbox,  that  can  pull in  what  I  can't  talk about  here....but you  would  be  amazed  at  what  it  can do...

[quote user="rastus"]Instead of moving the dish and thus losing Sky can you fit a dual head LNB with a separate downlead.[/quote]

The problem is that most "dual head LNBs" are designed with a 6 deg separation in mind (for Astra 1 and Hotbird) and finding one with a 9 degree separation (ie Astra 1 and Astra 2) is more difficult.

If your dish is big enough (probably 80 cms needed) you can buy a little bracket which attaches to the LNB support and on which you can fit a second LNB,  but again the bracket needs choosing with care,  and it can be fiddly to set up.

Laters:   I should have used the correct term (which I was groping for when I wrote the above),   ie monoblock LNB.   This is the LNB that looks like two LNB's as a sort of siamese twin arrangement;   they come in 6 deg (as I said above) or occasionally 3 deg separations,  but I don't think anyone has come up with a 9 deg one.    Maybe a hole in the market there...?

We are just up and running with Orange / Livebox. It is good, but we 'only' get a handful of channels, not the 100+ suggested. We do not have a satellite. Is it just a case of buying a satellite, getting it tuned in, and connecting it to the Livebox? If so, where would you go about buying a satellie & getting it installed? We live in 56.

I am not sure how you are getting any channels without a decoder????

You either have orange TV via your ADSL i.e. through the livebox.

OR

TV via satellite which comes down via the satellite dish.

Channels via ADSL 100+

Channels available via satellite about 45 plus any free to air on the chosen satellite.

It depends on the speed of your internet connection and whether or not your local exchange is enabled for TV by ADSL or not.

If not, then you will only get Orange TV by satellite.

Did you receive a decoder as well as your livebox? what is the model?

If it is the Samsung SHD85, then you have Orange TV by satellite.

If it is the UHD86 then you are eligible for TV via the ADSL line and you do not need a satellite dish.

Pictures here http://assistance.orange.fr/tous-les-guides-des-decodeurs-tv-1555.php

If you have no decoder then you have no Orange TV and you need to ask to have the TV added to your subscription.

layout here for Orange sat TV http://assistance.orange.fr/brancher-le-decodeur-tv-d-orange-associant-adsl-et-satellite-3072.php

If you need to install a satellite dish, you can get someone professionnal in or DIY.

You can buy sat dish supplies from most bricos if you want or online - Cost of Dish, LNB and cable from about 50 euros +

Good luck

Danny

[quote user="Martin963"][quote user="rastus"]Instead of moving the dish and thus losing Sky can you fit a dual head LNB with a separate downlead.[/quote]

they come in 6 deg (as I said above) or occasionally 3 deg separations,  but I don't think anyone has come up with a 9 deg one.    Maybe a hole in the market there...?

[/quote]

actually  you  can  get a  bracket  that  will  hold  the  monoblock and a  single  lnb, or  even  3-5 individual  lnb  on  the  special bracket...but  at  this  point  is  cheaper  to get a  motorized  dish.  I  use  one  and works great,  the  sky  is  open  to  me..Big Smile [:D]

[quote user="stella"][at  this  point  is  cheaper  to get a  motorized  dish.  I  use  one  and works great,  the  sky  is  open  to  me[:D]..

[/quote]The problem with a motorised dish is that you cannot watch a programme from one satelite whilst recording one from another.  Personally, I've found having two dishes, each with quad LNBs, is more flexible.

Thanks Danny. We signed up for Net Plus. The TV, internet & phone are through the internet. You plug the TV aerial into the decoder, which in turn is connected to ADSL. The manual for the decoder shows both the co-axial & satellite connections. Not sure the make, but both decoder & Livebox are badged up 'Orange'. The diagram for Orange sat TV looks about right. Presumably if we get a satellite tuned in to the relevant sats we just plug it into the decoder which will then scan & lock into the additional channels?

Gary

Gary,

"You plug the TV aerial into the decoder"

You seem to have missed something here.

You either have:

TV via the livebox - all the channels come via the livebox and you have no need of an aerial or satellite dish at all.

OR

you have TV via satellite. In this case, you need a satellite dish to recieve the channels.

You have no need of the rooftop aerial in any case*

I asked you which specific model of decoder you had because Orange give you a different model for TV by sat or TV by ADSL. That way, I could determine whether you need to have a sat dish or not.....

Danny

* the rooftop aerial may also be used in addition to give you certain channels not yet available with the Orange sat TV service like France 3 local channels and some HD channels.

Hi Danny, the decoder is a Samsung SHD85. There is a communal aerial for the group of houses where we live. It was into this via co-axial that the TV used to connect to. I followed the installation instructions as per the guide d'installation, in that an ethernet cable connects the decoder to the Livebox. I did not have a satellite connection to connect to the decoder, however there is another picture which shows - in addition to the satellite connection - plug a co-axial cable into the decoder. The decoder is then connected to the TV either by SCART or HDMI cable. The Livexox is obviously connected to the phone socket. The end of your posts sounds pretty much like what we have. There are more than a few local channels, but there are about three HD channels at the end of the list. When we connected it up it did a search - as it also did last week. At the end of the tune in a page came up which if translated correctly said something like if you are not getting as many channels as you thought, it is down to the reception/connection in your area. We do live a bit in the sticks - even our mobile phone reception is poor to non existent at times. If it is just a case of getting a satellite & plugging it in that would be great.

Cheers

Gary

• 1 year later...
Message for Danny

Danny I have an unused Samsung SHD 85 from Orange (from an old Orange account I had. I have a TV aerial, but of course no French Channels since the switchover. Will it work to get French free channels through my Neufbox acting as the ADSL connectuion or must it be an Orange Livebox?

Cheers

I am assuming that your current TV does not have a digital tuner.

For the TNT channels, I don't think the SHD85 needs a connection to the ADSL at all. It should work OK assuming your aerial is well set up to the local transmitter.

You have nothing to lose by trying it!

It has a aerial input (labelled RF in) and a satellite input (labelled SAT) so it has a sat tuner and a terrestrial tuner too.

I imagine that you will not be able to access the Orange satellite channels even with the card in.

On the other hand, if you do also connect a sat cable to a dish which is pointing to Astra 1 for exmple, you may at least also receive other channels which are free to air (FTA) if not the Orange channels.

You may need to dig around in the set up settings to get anything with both of these options if it does not do it automatically

Menu/ mes réglages TV/OK/chaînes TV/OK/recherche rapide des chaînes

also for the satellite channels if you have a dish set up

Menu/ mes réglages TV/OK/chaînes TV/OK/ajout des chaînes en libre acces

If you do connect by ethernet cable to the router or by cable to a sat dish, the box may want to update itself at some point.

Let us know what happens.

Danny

Trying to frig a Sky dish to pick up French TV will be a complete nightmare.

Here is my setup for Orange with the Sky dish on the left. I'll let you use your imagination as to how you'd mount the other monoblock LNB on it let alone align it.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/DSCN5568.jpg[/IMG]

An0,

I assumed that macwad is trying to get French channels via the rooftop aerial "I have a TV aerial, but of course no French Channels since the switchover."

The SHD 85 should function fine as a TNT decoder if macwad's telly does not have digital tuner.

No one mentioned Sky dishes.[:-))] [:)]

Danny