I wonder if some technically minded person can assist me? I have just ordered a new Panasonic HDD DVD player from a marketplace seller on Amazon, as our 15 year old video recorder has been playing up recently, things don't seem to last like they used to!

Thinking it is time to grasp new technology I am eagerly awaiting delivery of the new DVD player. Today I received an email from the company advising me that the DVD player will only work with PAL. We are able to watch Sky and SFR TV programs on our 9 year old Sony TV at present so I am thinking the new DVD should operate OK. If I understand things correctly French TV is NTSC, so I guess our current TV must be able to receive both.

We can also watch American DVDs through our current multi region DVD player, which again if I have understood things correctly, US DVDs are NTSC.

So bottom line if our current TV will accept all the above, I am correct in assuming the new Panasonic DVD player will still record both French and UK television programs?

The DVD player is digital.

The video recorder is analogue, it could be SECAM, PAL or NTSC depending largely on where it was purchased.

Unless you have personal videos the video recorder will not be much use, although I must admit I did purchase a good multi standard video recorder for analogue to digital transformation.

The email that the Panasonic is PAL means that it is for the european market and probably only play european zone DVDs.

French TV is not NTSC but SECAM, as france has now moved exclusively to digital transmission on both terrestrial and satellite, there are now NO analogue SECAM available the TV would only work with a separate Digital Tuner.

American DVDs are not NTSC they are digital.

If the DVD recorder gets a digital input it will record.

What is the model number of the Panasonic unit?

What connections are there on the back of the Sony TV or which model is it?

Thanks for your reply PP.

I was aware of PAL and NTSC, but didn't know anything about SECAM, all very confusing.

The Panasonic recorder I am proposing to buy the model number is:

DMR-EX83EB-K

and our existing Sony TV model number is:

KV-32FX68

So as long as the TV signal is digital then the new Panasonic will have no trouble recording the signal, hope I have understood that. The Panasonic will be supplied as a multi region player, that is the reason I chose to buy it from the supplier on Amazon marketplace, so I should have no trouble in playing different region DVDs through it, hope that is correct also.

Thinking ahead would it make any difference to the DVD player, if we were to purchase a new TV in France, which I assume would be SECAM, or would we need to purchase it from the UK which would be PAL?

Hope all the above is not too garbled, not very good with all things techinical.

I have the same machine, Grecian.  No probs with it at all.  Records/plays etc etc.  BUT all my TV is off satelite, I have no conventional aerial.  It does have a little quirk which means that when it is recording a programme here, it will not play a R1 DVD as I have to change one of the settings.  But I guess that may vary according to how they've chipped or re-coded it for multi-region as I think the fixes do differ.  C3PO probably knows more about that than I do.

My TV was bought here.

For a good while now (20 odd years) it's been a legal requirement that French TVs - with their onboard SECAM-capable tuners - must also be able to handle PAL,  whether via the aerial socket or via the SCART socket.

Now of course this is  - with the finish of analogue terrestrial TV - a bit academic,  but the point is that if you use the SCART plug on any French TV post 1990 and feed it PAL it will display correctly,   and of course if you use HDMi the distinction doesn't arise.

So - in short - and as coops has added before I finished this - you should be OK.

Connections Sony TV:

Connexions
Type de connecteur2 x Péritel (RVB) ( SCART 21 broches ) - arrière
1 x Péritel (S-vidéo) ( SCART 21 broches ) - arrière
1 x entrée audio/vidéo composite ( phono RCA x 3 ) - avant
1 x entrée S-vidéo ( mini-DIN à 4 broches ) - avant
1 x entrée RF ( connecteur IEC ) - arrière
1 x SmartLink - arrière
1 x casque ( fiche mini-phone Stéréo 3,5 mm ) - avant

DVD Recorder Panasonic:

Video Connections

VIDEO

Video SystemPAL colour signal 625 lines, 50 fields / NTSC colour signal 525 lines, 60 fields
Recording SystemMPEG2 (Hybrid VBR)
Input
Video inAV1 / AV2 (21 pin), AV3 (pin jack)
S-Video inAV2 (21 pin)
RGB inAV2 (21 pin) [PAL]
Output
Video outAV1 / AV2 (21 pin), Video Out (pin jack)
S-Video outAV1 (21 pin)
RGB outAV1 (21 pin) [PAL

The Sony TV has a PAL, NTSC,SECAM tuner. So no problem there.

The two will work harmoniously together by connection with a scart lead, called a péritel in france; either with S-Video or RGB, called RVB in france rouge-vert-bleu.

Thanks Coops and Martin for your replies.

It is quite enlightening what information transpires when you start looking into something you know little about.

Good to hear you have the same machine Coops and you have no trouble with it, all our TV is via satellite or through our telephone line, so all the signals will be digital. Interesting your comment Martin that if the DVD player is connected using HDMi cables the problem will not arise in any case. Our old Sony TV does not have any HDMi sockets only scart, but obviously any new TV purchased in the future will come supplied with HDMi sockets.

Well that is enough letter learning for now, what with PAL, NTSC, SECAM and now HDMi thrown in for good measure, I think I will go and have to go and lie down!

Edit

pachapapa many thanks to you again, you were obviously posting whilst I was keying, thanks for taking the trouble to look up all the specifications for my TV and DVD player, much appreciated