What Internet Package with existing Landline?

Hi there folks,

We are planning to spend several months in France this

summer at our house in Loir et Cher and

I’m looking for some information and advice regarding the

right internet package to go for.

At the moment we have a bog-standard France Telecom (now

Orange) telephone landline and a Freesat Humax receiver for our British

television 'entertainment'.

Our account with Orange Fr is Maison Secondaire with the

suspension option – (line is currently suspended.)

I would like to add WiFi internet to connect a laptop

(for me) and another computer (AppleMac) for my wife and I’d also like to keep

our old France Telecom number.

We are not interested in all the film packages, music,

mobile or any other ‘bells & whistles’ on offer, as we have Freesat and can

also get the main French TV channels.

I’m looking at the Livebox Zen package from

Orange Fr. Does anyone know if I can still suspend my landline with this? (I

don’t think I would be able to suspend the broadband service, but I’m not sure.)

Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks for any replies.

Yes, you can still suspend the landline but of course, you will still keep paying monthly for the Livebox Zen Package.

There is a simpler broadband available Découverte which is a bit cheaper and you can stop completely when you are not there.

Unlike the Livebox Zen package, this has no inclusive VOIP calls and you do not need to use a livebox. You can use any wifi enabled modem/router.

It is only up to 8 Mb speed which may not make any difference at all depending on your line.

Danny

Thanks Danny. Can you suspend the Découverte in the same way as the land line? Or would I have to cancel the broadband contract everytime? I have a spare BT Home Hub wireless router. Would that work? Sorry to be a bit of a numpty, but  not to good with wiggly amps, electric string and magic waves and stuff! Now if it was powered by steam.......!

[quote user="Matelot"]

Thanks Danny. Can you suspend the Découverte in the same way as the land line? Or would I have to cancel the broadband contract everytime?[/quote]You cannot suspend the decouverte One used to be able to migrate the broadband account to a dial up one for a time i.e. therefore no cost if you are not using it, but this is generally not the current policy. You need to cancel it in writing and restart it again when you wish. This does seem to depend on who you speak to and possibly how persuasive you can be. It is not a matter of anything technical. I think rather that this policy is now in place to put people off starting and stopping and instead making them go for an on all the time package (more profitable for them) which is less hassle (for them too)

Sorry if that sentence is convoluted...

[quote user="Matelot"] I have a spare BT Home Hub wireless router. Would that work?[/quote] may be difficult but

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=unlocking+home+hub&t=i

Danny