We used to watch just French TV then got given a cheap freesat box (Fourtec Fourstar) so OH could see UK programmes (mainly sport!) whilst I was back working in the UK. I'm ashamed to say we have continued with this viewing arrangement for several years now. However, at last we are going to update our old TV to a flat screen HD model.

Some time ago I think there was something on here about being able to watch both U.K. and French TV; I have done a search but can't find anything so hoping for some easy to understand, non-technical (as far as possible) advice. I would like to have access to at least some French TV, national and local news, weather, some entertainment etc, but I know most of our viewing will be U.K. programmes.

If we update to HD do we need to get a new freesat box i.e. does it also need to be HD compatible?

If we bought a TV with built-in French TNT what else do we need (another dish for instance)? Is this the best option?

Can we somehow easily switch between watching French-English channels? 

Sorry if these questions seem rather obvious but my husband is a luddite when it comes to this kind of thing; however give him a car to rebuild and watch a craftsman at work![:D]

More and more TV's are equipped with DVB-T/C and DVB-S2 tuners. So they are capable of receiving both the (French-) terrestrial channels and any satellite channels. Check the manual carefully and you might even be able to tell the TV that the terrestrial tuner is located in France while at the same time the satellite tuner is located in the UK ( thus acting like a freesat box)

But you will allways be able to use your old freesat box if you wish, even when it is just SD.

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

We used to watch just French TV then got given a cheap freesat box (Fourtec Fourstar) so OH could see UK programmes (mainly sport!) whilst I was back working in the UK. I'm ashamed to say we have continued with this viewing arrangement for several years now. However, at last we are going to update our old TV to a flat screen HD model.

Some time ago I think there was something on here about being able to watch both U.K. and French TV; I have done a search but can't find anything so hoping for some easy to understand, non-technical (as far as possible) advice. I would like to have access to at least some French TV, national and local news, weather, some entertainment etc, but I know most of our viewing will be U.K. programmes.

If we bought a TV with built-in French TNT what else do we need (another dish for instance)? Is this the best option?  

[/quote]

I don't think you'll find a TV now that doesn't have TNT integrated into it.    And if it's an HD TV it will get the four free to air TNT HD channels,   provided you are using a transmitter that is transmitting them (transmitting MUX R5 to be exact).

You will need to make sure you have an aerial connected for French TNT,   but if you were getting a good picture before the chances are that what you were using will work for TNT too.   Do you know which transmitter you are on?

Have you entirely lost French TV since digital switchover last year,  or have you got a separate TNT box to go with the old TV?

You don't need to upgrade your sat box at the moment,  see below.

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

Sorry if these questions seem rather obvious but my husband is a luddite when it comes to this kind of thing; however give him a car to rebuild and watch a craftsman at work![:D]

[/quote]

Yes,   with your existing satellite box connected via SCART (peritel) you can switch easily between the two sources,   the satellite will probably be called "AV1" or similar on the new TV.

If you were to get an HD satellite box you would get a limited number of HD channnels from Britain (BBC 1,  BBC HD,   ITV 1,   ch 4) but unfortunately Sky have got most of the other HD channels in the bag and well sewn up.

Obviously the neatest solution is the one outlined above (TV with sat and TNT all in one) but bear in mind that if it goes wrong you might have nothing.......and it might be cheaper to carry on as you are with the satellite if you're basically satisfied  (although it has to be said that flatscreen TVs tend to show up the woefully poor standard definition pictures being put out by most British broadcasters,  including - shamefully - the BBC.   And have a look at channel 5 now - I'm told it's so awful that it's barely watchable.....)

[quote user="Martin963"][quote user="Rob Roy"]

[/quote]

I don't think you'll find a TV now that doesn't have TNT integrated into it.    And if it's an HD TV it will get the four free to air TNT HD channels,   provided you are using a transmitter that is transmitting them (transmitting MUX R5 to be exact).

You will need to make sure you have an aerial connected for French TNT,   but if you were getting a good picture before the chances are that what you were using will work for TNT too.   Do you know which transmitter you are on?

We are tuned in to the Astra satellite,is that what you mean?  

Have you entirely lost French TV since digital switchover last year,  or have you got a separate TNT box to go with the old TV?

No sorry, I should have explained, the French TV was some years ago and just from a normal ariel, no boxes or dishes involved.

You don't need to upgrade your sat box at the moment,  see below.

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

[/quote]

Yes,   with your existing satellite box connected via SCART (peritel) you can switch easily between the two sources,   the satellite will probably be called "AV1" or similar on the new TV.

If you were to get an HD satellite box you would get a limited number of HD channnels from Britain (BBC 1,  BBC HD,   ITV 1,   ch 4) but unfortunately Sky have got most of the other HD channels in the bag and well sewn up.

We would like to get BBC HD so will need a new Freesat box too; we might be able to pick up BBC 4 then as well, which we can't do at present.

Obviously the neatest solution is the one outlined above (TV with sat and TNT all in one) but bear in mind that if it goes wrong you might have nothing.......and it might be cheaper to carry on as you are with the satellite if you're basically satisfied  (although it has to be said that flatscreen TVs tend to show up the woefully poor standard definition pictures being put out by most British broadcasters,  including - shamefully - the BBC.   And have a look at channel 5 now - I'm told it's so awful that it's barely watchable.....)

We can't get Channel 5 at all anyway, and I'm fed up only seeing half a person sometimes on the edge of the screen! So a new flatscreen is overdue. Thank you for you explanations.
[/quote]

[quote user="Jako"]More and more TV's are equipped with DVB-T/C and DVB-S2 tuners. So they are capable of receiving both the (French-) terrestrial channels and any satellite channels. Check the manual carefully and you might even be able to tell the TV that the terrestrial tuner is located in France while at the same time the satellite tuner is located in the UK ( thus acting like a freesat box)

But you will allways be able to use your old freesat box if you wish, even when it is just SD.
[/quote]

Thanks - what's "just SD"? (Told you I know nothing!)

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

[quote user="Jako"]More and more TV's are equipped with DVB-T/C and DVB-S2 tuners. So they are capable of receiving both the (French-) terrestrial channels and any satellite channels. Check the manual carefully and you might even be able to tell the TV that the terrestrial tuner is located in France while at the same time the satellite tuner is located in the UK ( thus acting like a freesat box)

[/quote]

Thanks - what's "just SD"? (Told you I know nothing!)

[/quote]

SD stands for Standard Definition and means that the definition is in MPEG2, in effect equivalent to a common garden film on a DVD.

As a bonus, HD stands for High Definition is in MPEG4, perversely High Definition comes in two flavours, one is with 720 rows of pixels on the screen and the other with 1080 rows of pixels on the screen.

Edit: Forgot to mention that SD Standard Definition will have 576 rows of pixels.

The Astra bit is the satellite,   and I assume that what you are saying is that your sat dish points at Astra 2 and is connected to the sat box that gets you British TV.

The French TV bit (I'm assuming) you used to get on your ordinary TV is likely therefore to have been analogue via an aerial - so it's "disappeared" because the analogue transmissions were turned off in your area last year.

So (as far as I can see) the only bit we have to worry about is whether the aerial you were using for French TV (the thing that looks like a rake, on the roof we hope) is up to getting you TNT on the new TNT-integrated TV you're going to buy.    Chances are it will;   since switchover to digital the powers at the transmitters have been increased from their interim values and most aerials work fine.

If you wanted to be certain then there is a halfway house solution available,   and that is to purchase a TNT box (TNT decodeur) at a cost of under €40;   this has a Scart socket on it and will "convert" your old TV to digital (in a manner of speaking) for French TV.    So if you went for this cheap "temporary" option you could check that your aerial is actually doing its job and watch French TNT digital TV on your old TV via Scart;    then you can decide if this "lite" solution is actually all you need,  or whether you want to buy that new TV.

The only drawback is that if your TV only has one Scart socket you'll have to keep swapping the boxes round,   or daisy chain them together,   but we could jump that stile when we get to it perhaps....?

(I should add that there is a way of getting French TV via satellite from "another" Astra (Astra 1) but I don't think you are or have been using that).

PPP stated:

As a bonus, HD stands for High Definition is in MPEG4, perversely High Definition comes in two flavours, one is with 720 rows of pixels on the screen and the other with 1080 rows of pixels on the screen.

In TV adverts they normally state for 720 as 'HD Ready' and for 1080 as 'Full HD'. The 1080 should give superior pcitures.

Paul

@ teapot

Yes you can get Astra 1 in Britain easily,   but no you won't get TF1 UNLESS you take a TNTsat box with you back to Blighty  (which is what I do,   TNTsat and Fransat).

TF1 is encrypted on Astra 1 for those oh-so-precious rights holders.

But of course what most people are doing for F1 is watching free to air RTL TV (also on Astra 1) and turning down the sound,  substituting Radio 5 from the BBC instead.

Which is what that oik Ecclestone wanted to stop (and said he was going to do so) but doesn't actually seem to have managed.

Every time someone watches F1 without paying I think to myself "couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke than Bernie".    And I couldn't care less about sport but am fed up with the naked greed that now goes with it.

45 cms will work in the south of Britain,  but 60 cms is better and 80 cms in the north or Scotland.

[quote user="Martin963"]@ teapot

TF1 is encrypted on Astra 1 for those oh-so-precious rights holders.

[/quote]

But those rights holders don't seem to mind that TF1 is not encrypted on Eutelsat9A (9 east). This satellite has a huge footprint and also carries W9 and even M6 in HD unencrypted!

When you combine 9 east with 5 west you get most of the French channels completely for free.

My guess is that TF1 on 9 deg E is "tolerated" as it's DVB-S2 and therefore perhaps less "available",  and on a relatively little-used sat.

But I agree with you,  the whole situation is at times absolutely daft.

I'm  hoping that TF1 HD is added to 9 deg E soon.

Thanks everyone and my apologies for the delay in replying. What with the new forum layout, trying to log on, then compatibility issues I rather lost the will to live the other night!

I don't think I explained things very well before - we used to watch French TV with an indoor aeriel and booster box in the gite we rented when we first lived here (10 years ago), then when we bought our first house we needed a satallite dish in order to get a decent picture (still French TV).  Then our son sent us a Sky box he didn't need any more so my husband could watch U.K. TV (same dish) whilst I returned to U.K. to work; the Sky box died, we've since moved house and we have now got just a cheap freesat box with the same satellite dish and receive just U.K. TV.

As I understand it, if I get a new French HD TV with built in TNT, that's connected to our present satellite dish, I can receive French TV(TF1/2/3) and by using a new HD  freesat box and (second?) scart lead I can get U.K. TV?

[quote user="Rob Roy"]As I understand it, if I get a new French HD TV with built in TNT, that's connected to our present satellite dish, I can receive French TV(TF1/2/3) and by using a new HD  freesat box and (second?) scart lead I can get U.K. TV?[/quote]

No, that is not correct.

Your new TV will continue to receive UK TV if you connect the cable from the present dish.

But, to receive French TV you need to either:

1 - connect it to a rooftop aerial which needs to be able to "see" - point in a direct line - to your local transmitter. Assuming it is technically feasible, this is the simplest solution

or

2 - install another satellite dish for French TV as it is broadcast on a different satellite to the Uk channels. This would also mean buying a separate French satellite box. This is the next easiest solution.

There are more complicated ways, as Martin mentioned, but these would mean more satellite gear/knowhow to install.

Danny

[quote user="Théière"]

Bunping this back up:

I am trying to get Astra1 @19.2 deg but I can only get Hotbird at that angle, any ideas Martin et al?

[/quote]

No doubt Martin will be along to advise but in the meantime, I think you need to be a few degrees eastward and slightly lower.

Unfortunately my motorized set up is disassembled in preparation for a move, so I can't provide you with the finer details.

Just to update all those who were so helpful - we bought a lovely shiny new LED HD TV on Saturday and I've also ordered a new Humax HD Freesat box via Amazon and coming this week with friends from the UK. In the meantime the TV is working with the old box and OH was delighted with the clarity of the F1 and football!

Getting French TV will now be phase 2. Thanks everyone.

[quote user="marmite"]Plenty of time to sort it Theiere next race is not for a couple of weeks!!

Edit.
Just checked next race China. on BBC 1 live 13-15th april.  Even got longer now.
[/quote]

That's why I thought I had better start now and the fact B&Q had their HD sat system for £40 [:)]

Glad it's worked out for you RobRoy, good luck with the next bit, i can find Astra 2 satellites in my sleep but two on the same bearing is new to me [:D]

If you've found Hotbird then Astra 1 isn't that far away.

Standing behind the dish,  you need to turn it a little to your LEFT - about 10 cms at a guess measured at the LNB,  AND you need to tip it DOWN by about 2 cms.    Then do a fine search as you would normally do.

Make sure that you've got a transponder selected for the signal meter that actually refers to a working one on Astra 1.

Conversely,   if you've found Astra 2 then you need to go to the RIGHT by about 15 cms,   and tip the dish UP by about 3 - 4 cms.

All measurements very approx,   but you get the idea.   Astra 1 is slightly nearer Hotbird than it is to Astra 2. 

I know,  it's confusing.

The 19.2 deg E refers to the line of longditude where the satellite "hangs" in the sky above the equator.   I hope I mean longditude not latitude. 

So it's an "absolute" value for defining the position.    Where "you" are is a relative value and of course changes as you move about.    So although for most of us around the zero line of longditude it's true that "the satellites are about 20 deg east of south" that statement is in fact misleading,   hence the confusion.

Let us know when you find Astra 1....!